Had my second successful home birth :) edited with story!

xsadiex

Reaction score
Yay! This time it was much quicker and baby was born half an hour after the midwife arrived. No pain relief at all! So happy I did it. I will post my birth story shortly if anyone wants a read :)

Felix’s birth story – 14th June 2013

It all started on 14th June, 6 days after my due date, which is the same number of days I went overdue with my first son.
At about 9:30 am I noticed my Braxton hicks were actually quite painful and I could tell things were going to happen soon…I just didn’t quite realise how soon! I had a sweep booked for 11am, which I was welcoming as I was so worried about going 2 weeks overdue and having to fight for my homebirth.
I had my sweep, the midwife said I was already 3cm dilated so things were looking good. My contractions started progressing and I phoned my partner Ian and told him to come home from work. We got home at 12 and we started to sort the house out and pack our son’s stuff as my mum was coming to collect him. I was making cheese and honey sandwiches leaning over the kitchen counter in pain thinking, wow things are really happening. I managed to give my son lunch and pack his bags up with help from Ian and by the time my mum was here at about 1 I was feeling really emotional and quite strange – a bit panicky.
Once my mum had left I knew I needed to get a midwife there so I phoned and told them I was having a homebirth and I felt things were progressing very fast, I don’t really think she believed me as I sounded very calm. She then told me that I couldn’t have a homebirth if my labour went on after 5pm as the midwives were off sick! I felt so distressed and scared, I started panicking and feeling like I needed pain relief. My partner was amazing, he said it didn’t matter we could either stay here and have baby without midwives or go to hospital if I like. He rubbed my back and calmed me down – he was perfect. I found sniffing a muslin with clary sage really helpful at this point.
The midwife phoned back and said she would send someone to check me and see what was going on. The midwife got here at half two, my contractions were at full intensity now I was really struggling and didn’t know what to do with myself. (Should have known I was in transition!) I felt a funny sensation like I needed to poo and I shrugged it off and thought no way! I couldn’t be almost ready to push? The midwife started checking me, which was really unwelcome, I did not want to be checked! She told me I was 9cm and I was in shock, I had one more contraction with a funny pushy urge and then I knew it was time to get into a good position to push this baby out.
I got on to my knees and rested my elbows on the sofa and started to push, this part was so intense! It wasn’t painful but it was powerful, I was so vocal. It took a while for the head to come down but once is was coming out I could really feel it, it was really intense wow! Once the head was out I pushed the shoulders in the next contraction and then another little push and the rest of Felix plopped out. This didn’t hurt at all, but I could feel every single sensation. I could tell that I hadn’t torn at all and was so pleased.
Felix was brought through my legs and I held him for the first time, it was lovely. I was so happy I’d given birth and met the baby that I’d been growing for 9 months at 3:02 pm.
I was bleeding quite a lot and the placenta wasn’t coming away, we waited for a while to see what was happening but the midwives were concerned I was losing too much blood so we waited until the cord had stopped pulsing and it was cut and I had the hormone injection – this was not part of my plan at all! But I didn’t mind. The placenta finally came away and we had a look, it was really amazing.
Unfortunately I was still losing blood, it was calming down but it looked like I had lost a litre so an ambulance was called and we had to be transferred to hospital. We still hadn’t weighed Felix until 2 hours later and we finally did and he was 9 pound 1. I had a drip to replace fluid lost and blood tests to check my iron levels – they were good thanks to all the Floradix I’d been taking before the birth so I didn’t need any further treatment and we left the next morning.

It was totally different from what I had expected seeing as our first homebirth was 37 hours long and very relaxed and slow! But it was still wonderful with a perfect outcome. Even though I apparently lost double the amount of blood I feel much healthier this time round and I’m so proud I didn’t use any gas and air.

Congrats.....these posts make me excited! Would love to read a story! X

Congratulations sadie, you make birth sound so easy!

I can't believe you've had your second, I can still remember you from the pregnancy forums with our first!

Congrats, lovely story :) hope my second home birth is as quick as yours! x

Thank you so much for sharing your story xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back