Had THE letter from work today...

bev309

Reaction score
Asking when I want to go back from maternity leave & for how many hrs:cry:
It has gone sooooo quick! What I want to know is if you don't want to return to work full time - how many days / hrs do you have to go back? Is there a minimum? Our circumstances have changed since I left & my husband now works away, so I only really want to go back 1 day a week (to keep my feet in just in case something goes wrong with hubbys job!) where I used to work 5 days - is this reasonable or am I being silly?
Also would this be possible after taking the unpaid mat leave?
Any advice appreciated!

I couldn't tell you, do you work for a big company? If so you might want to ring the HR department and ask them outright. I think it migth really depend on how flexiable your company/job is. Could you offer to go in 1 day a week and do some work from home or soemthing? I'd sit down, work out what income you need to be bringing in and then approach your employers with some kind of offer. Good luck!

A lady at my last company went from full time to 2 half days a week
Her company didn't seem to mind at all .. she did discuss it with them first though and they were happy to help

I think a job has to consider flexiible working hours of a returning mother if that's what she wantes, but they don't have to give it to you. Maybe ask for the one day off and they might counter-offer.

hello.

well you can only ask.

Look at it this way - even if the say no, would you work 5 days a week?? Might as well ask rather than give up the job I say. Or ask about a further period of unpaid leave? Thats what I'm taking for a year! :))

You would have to ask hun, it depends on the company

I work as needed, sometimes its 1 day a week, sometimes 3 and sometimes I go weeks without work. I fill in for people who are on vacations,or out for the day. I stoped working full time when I didnt return after my 12 week extended leave. Would that be an option at your job? To kinda be someone who covers? With me I made it clear I never work more then 3 days and only 6 hours a day. I cant bring myself to be away to long.

Thanks for all your replies - I guess I will just have to contact them & see what they say, I was hoping someone on here had done it. It is quite a large company & I know of at least 3 girls in my dept alone who work 2 days a week, so hopefully I can go in for just the one(fingers crossed) Unsure whether to go for the additional maternity leave, so will have to make a decision on that too:blush:

I got my letter the other day and I went in and decided to take an extra 3 months coz I cant face going back yet. It was horrible getting that letter, I cant work out where the time has gone :(

I guess you can only ask and see what they say :) They have to be fairly fliexible with you I think.

xxx

I'm not actually due back until January, but it's the thought of it! I will wait until DH comes home this weekend & decide whether I am going to take the additional unpaid leave which will take me to April, but won't guarantee me the same job when I go back (although they try their best to ). I'm not bothered about the actual job -everyone does pretty much the same - I would just like to stay on the same department with the people I know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->