Hair colour

Jennifurball

Mother of 1 and a bump!
Reaction score
I can't remember if it is safe or not to colour hair. I had a semi done last time close to my due date, but want to do a home colour if possible. My greys are getting out of hand!

Ive only had foils and I dont think they touch scalp...but as long as well ventilated, should be ok x

I avoid it in first tri and then dye like normal for the rest of my pregnancy. Haven't found anything conclusive against it. Like PP said, make sure it's well ventilated and maybe skip on big bleach and colour jobs, but an at home dye will be fine

The hormones can cause colours to come out differently but otherwise it's fine. I change my hair colour a lot and it was the first thing I asked my midwife in my last pregnancy!

There always seems to be conflicting info on this. To be safe I don't bother but if you wanted to like pp said make sure it's well ventilated and preferably don't touch your scalp with the dye

There's no studies that can prove hair colour can cause damage to a developing baby. A lot of it is speculation. Personally I don't colour my hair to be safe, but I know lots and lots of people that do. Like others have said just make sure the area you are doing your hair in is well ventilated.

I asked my Dr about this, and she said there is no evidence that it causes any issues but she would wait until second trip just to be safe. Hair dressers are around colour while they are pregnant. It will be fine

Its safe as long as you use a natural colour and do a patch test first xx

Thanks ladies. I might save for a month or two and get a professional job done, was hoping to get my old colour lifted and get a reddish colour but daren't do it myself. x

Thanks ladies. I might save for a month or two and get a professional job done, was hoping to get my old colour lifted and get a reddish colour but daren't do it myself. x

If you go into b&m and get a couple of boxes of "colour before" If your hair is brown like in your pick, it will lift to a red xxx

I would wait and get it professionally done because you don't know what your hair will actually do with the colour. Your hormones might cause it to come out different than young want

There doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence on this. I think so long as you dye your hair somewhere well ventilated and don't leave it on for longer than the recommended time then it's okay. I'd say away from bleach though!

I home dyed my hair at 17 weeks during this pregnancy as I felt "safe" being out of first tri and I could no longer put up with the greys. It's in need of it again. I would rather not dye again for as long as possible to lessen any chance of something happening but I'm not sure how long I will be able to hold out. I have a wedding in October so I'll definitely be dying it again before that. Two or three times throughout the pregnancy won't be that bad I don't think. Certainly better than every 4-6 weeks like it could probably do with! I wouldn't dye it throughout the pregnancy if it wasn't for the greys though!

I would wait and get it professionally done because you don't know what your hair will actually do with the colour. Your hormones might cause it to come out different than young want

Hormones can't change the compounds and properties of a colour.

The hormones can cause the hair to react differently to the dye. It could cause it to not take completely, which happened to me a lot of my grey wouldn't take the colour. It can also cause it to turn a different shade. It's not the make up of the dye, it's to make up of the hair.

The hormones can cause the hair to react differently to the dye. It could cause it to not take completely, which happened to me a lot of my grey wouldn't take the colour. It can also cause it to turn a different shade. It's not the make up of the dye, it's to make up of the hair.

Your hair is not in any way affected by hormones, its protein, if your grey was resistant to the colour you used it was either not applied properly or ( most grey hair is) resistant as its coarser hair, I am not meaning to be patronising but as a professional hairdresser i am well aware of how colour works.... Hairs makeup is decided when it grows out of the hair follicle and that is as far as it goes.

You'll be fine. I bleach my hair platinum every two to three months and I've done it with each of my pregnancies. My boys turned out fine!

The only concern I think, is if you have an open wound on your scalp or you're dying your hair yourself in a small (unventilated) area. Then you'll have a problem. Otherwise, go for it and treat yourself!

There is information online that supports what I'm saying, and my own Profesional hairdresser told me the same thing.

There is information online that supports what I'm saying, and my own Profesional hairdresser told me the same thing.

Well she is wrong and probably covering herself after doing a bad job!! And i can find "proof" that the earth is flat online too.....

The hair shaft Emerging from the pit of each of these follicles is the hair shaft itself. This is composed of dead cells that consist of little more than long keratin fibres and small amounts of water. The three layers of the hair shaft – the medulla, the cortex, and the cuticle – each serve specific purposes, maintaining the structure and colour of the hair shaft in different ways. Because the cells that compose each shaft are dead, it is possible to cut your hair without any pain. - See more at: https://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/how-hair-growth-really-works/#sthash.Lfux4xYs.dpuf

I can find many websites that show what I said as well, as i found them before, but im not really that interested in continuing this conversation, and she told me this before she even started on my hair, using the same dye as always. I also have a friend who used to do hair who backs what I said, so maybe your the one who is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->