Hair looking greasy even though it's just been washed?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
My hair is really getting on my nerves lately. I wash it every other day but even when it's just been washed it looks greasy once I've dried it, then I put the straighteners on it and it looks even worse. I've been using the same shampoo and conditioner for about 6 months so I don't think it's that. The only other product I put on is heat protect spray.

Anyone any ideas?

My hair randomly started doing this one day a few years ago. It was actually from the shampoo/conditioner I was using so I stopped using conditioner and started using Clear shampoo only. It worked right away. :flower:

My hair will do this if I use the same shampoo, so I usually change the brand weekly & then mix it up!
Also, try using dry shampoo once you've straightened your hair, it'll add volume and texture :).

My hair did that when I was pregnant, I changed my shampoo to a pregnancy shampoo worked a treat:thumbup:

It might be the build up of silcones and oils in the products. What are you using?

It might be worthwhile giving your hair a real scrub with a clarifying shampoo. Like amour said, they are normally clear. You should really have more than one shampoo, your hair isnt the same all the time, sometimes it'll be oily, othertimes it'll be dry, so you have to kinda determine that.

Mines the sam I hate it. I can't wash in the morning and go out in the evening without a rewash

This happens to me every now and then and I've decided it happens if I don't thoroughly wash out my conditioner.

I'd probably try switching to a different shampoo and conditioner too, esp if it's happening a lot

Believe it or not washing your hair too often can make it greasier, it strips the natural oils in your hair which makes it then over produce more oil and therefore making it more greasy. Mine used to be exactly the same. Now I wash my hair about twice a week, I use a dry shampoo inbetween, cut right back on products I use because they used to build up in my hair, less conditioner, less shampoo etc. I also use a deep cleaning clarifying shampoo once a week.

Also make sure when u use conditioner you don't rub it all over your head and scalp.. Instead rub it into your hair alone.. I usually start from just above half way.

Mine was doing this - it was a right pain, at the same time as being greasy it was just in really bad condition and felt horrid to touch. I've now swiched to a morrocan argon oil s/poo and conditioner and intense treatment - my hair is gorgeous, its really silky and its really brought the colour out! I got it from b&m - it was 99p a bottle!! Total bargin!
Have you changed your heat defense? I used one once that was supposed to make hair shiny but just made it limp and greasy!

I would change your shampoo and conditioner .. this happened to me and i ended up buying mane n tail (horse shampoo) the main reason was to promote hair growth but it cleans my hair so well and the conditioner leaves it really soft and no greasyness!!

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to change my shampoo and conditioner and see if that makes a difference. I've tried 2 different heat protection sprays but my hair is still the same. I don't know if it's my straighteners.. I've had them 5 years. Do they need replacing every so often? x

I don't think it's your straighteners, I've had my ghds for 11 years (same pair). Try changing your shampoo, my hair starts going Ike that whenever I use the same shampoo for too long.

Several things really;

- change your shampoo and conditioner
- make sure you shampoo twice, not once (this is a big one)
- rinse your hair for that bit longer than you'd expect to to get every last bit of product out of your hair
- no conditioner in the roots, only apply from half way down
- never put any serum type hair product on your roots
- don't play with your hair
- invest in some dry shampoo, I use it sometimes when my hairs just been washed and fully dried just to get some extra volume
- blow drying your roots help with moisture. When I don't blow dry my roots and just leave it to dry by itself it gets greaser far quicker

I suffer from oily roots and my good hair dresser friend told me all the above a long time ago, it's helped so much xx

I know it's a bit of a fad at the moment but it makes sense, to condition your hair first then wash it. I never washed the conditioner out fully and my hair got greasy quickly and went a bit heavy, now I wash after. Might be worth a try!

If you're using Head and Shoulders then stop, it always does this to my hair! As does Tresemme.

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to change my shampoo and conditioner and see if that makes a difference. I've tried 2 different heat protection sprays but my hair is still the same. I don't know if it's my straighteners.. I've had them 5 years. Do they need replacing every so often? x

Heat protection sprays will only add more oils and make your hair look greasier faster. I would say give your straighteners a good clean often too (while they are off of course :rofl:)

Heat protection sprays will only add more oils and make your hair look greasier faster. I would say give your straighteners a good clean often too (while they are off of course :rofl:)

What do I clean my straighteners with? I have never cleaned them before.. Maybe that is why they are making my hair greasy, oops! :haha:

A few people have mentioned dry shampoo. I was given some aaaaages ago but have never used it because I worry about adding stuff to my hair and making it look worse :haha: Does it really work?

Yeah it's good stuff. Make sure to rub it into your roots, lots of them come out white and if you have darker hair it can look a bit odd if you don't massage it in :haha:.

I'll spray it in, rub it in and then blow dry my roots upside down, then brush through & style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->