Hamsters

sazzyb1985

Reaction score
Hi, we bought my 3 year old daughter a syrian hamster a few weeks ago. She's really grown up for her age and she loves helping me care for the hamster, changing her water and feeding her. However I have just come across information on google that says the germs hamsters have can be deadly for under 5's as their immune systems aren't developed. We always wash our hands after touching her cage and I only allow the hamster to run in her ball in our hall which has a wooden floor and I clean it regularly. Does anyone know if hamsters are safe for young children? I asked my doctor for advice as I would hate my daughter to get ill but he said he didn't know anything about hamsters!

I've had hamsters in my house for years (I have three younger siblings) and we always had hamsters around us, starting from when my youngest brother was way under five, and probably even younger than three. Of course, we always watched him and made sure to wash our hands after. He's fine, and all of us have grown up with hamsters. :)

(In fact, I've even got a hamster now, so no doubt when baby comes I'll have a hamster and a baby! haha.)

She will be fine were getting our daughter a chinchilla for her 3rd birthday and we have asked so may questions about all different types of rodents and the sales man was very informed he said that there are risks but nothing to ever worry about really so I wouldn't worry too much my 3 year old niece has a hampsterand other then the thing nipping when she squeezes it too hard it has never done anything

I would agree that with good hygiene there should be no problem :flow: We always had hamsters (and gerbils) growing up x

Yeah as long as you are clean and take good care of the hamster you will be fine! me and my boyfriend have had our hamster for about 2 years now. I think you will love it they are so cute :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->