Hand knitted clothes - is it an age thing

Lysal

Reaction score
Before I start I don't want to offend anyone but am curious. My grandmother, mum and aunt all love to knit and I now have a drawer full of handmade jumpers and cardies for LO. They never let me pay for them as they say they would be knitting anyway and this just gives them someone to knit for. I love all the knitted things lo has and think he looks good in them.

My cousins are a lot younger than me ( I had LO at 29 and they had theirs at 18) and have refused the offer of knitted clothes for their babies, insisting on only using shop brought clothes because they say the hand knitted are too old fashioned ( I also think its partly there is no label on the handmade things).

I was just wondering if this was an age thing or just them and whether younger mums want their babies to be more fashionable. So was curious what's your age and would you put your baby in homemade clothes?

I'm 23 was 22 when LO was born and I put him in homemade knitted cardigans, I probably wouldnt now he is older but i think they look lovely over a sleepsuit or whatever when they are younger, I probably used them until he was a few months old.

ETA- if someone knitted me a nice jumper i would put it on him without a doubt :)

I think its an age thing. I had some lovely knitted things given us which were great for keeping lo warm in winter but I also had some monstrosities given to us which we put her in for about 10 mins, took a photo and then put in the charity box. Sounds mean but I cab understand people saying no if they are worried about things being horrible.

I'm 26 and I love little knitted cardigans. I think it depends on what style u are in to.... I love vintage. Funny though.... I wouldn't wear a knitted Cardigan myself but definately put the babies on them. X

Nathan has loads and look adorable in them. ( I'm 26)

https://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af217/kirsty1985/e5f3fe09.jpg

In his homemade jumper. Shopping in asda is boring!!! :)

I was 23 when I had Joshua, my nan knitted a few bits & pieces for him. They were absolutely gorgeous, but a bit too girly so he never worn them. I kept them aside incase I ever had a girl.

I used the knitted blanket she made, she made another one for Jacob as well.

I'm 30 and have tonnes of knitted cardigans, hats, mits and bootees and think Cullen looks adorable in them.

I'm 22,I had Ophelia when I was 19. Both of my LO's have had loads of hand knitted stuff. I don't think its age,more that some people just don't like it :shrug:

I just think it's some people tbh, some like more modern clothes, I like both (I'm 33, had Louis when I was 32). The most beautiful clothes I have ever had for Louis were hand knitted cardigans and booties that my mum knitted and a christening shawl that my Grandma fine knitted and crocheted herself for when I was christened which we used in Louis' moses basket and to keep him warm when he was newborn. My OH's sister has just had a baby girl and my mum knitted her a ballet wrap cardigan and matching hat, mittens and booties in the softest sugared almond pink, she absolutely loves them. Wish I could knit xx

I'm 26 and I love little knitted cardigans. I think it depends on what style u are in to.... I love vintage. Funny though.... I wouldn't wear a knitted Cardigan myself but definately put the babies on them. X

What she said... I'm 24 :)

I dont think its to do with age really but more to do with the type of peron. I suppose younger people are more label concious. Im 19 and pretty much every time I see my mum (2-3 times per week) she has a new cardi knitted for her. My mum knits really lovely stuff and I feel bad if my LO only wears it once or twice because she grows so quickly. Wool is sooo expensive now, as are knitting patterns. I dread to think how much she has spent on them!! We have had some right corkers knitted by other people for her though.

26 here. I would love love love something knitted with love for my LO! I got quite upset about it when pregnant as my gran had died just before I found out I was pregnant and she would have knitted stuff I reckon. I asked my other gran but she didnt make anything :nope: I was really disappointed. She bought a second hand one but its just not the same :shrug:

I have tons of hand knitted stuff, I dont mind it and I have used some of them a couple times. ..Im 21, was 20 when I was given all the knitted stuff

26 here. I would love love love something knitted with love for my LO! I got quite upset about it when pregnant as my gran had died just before I found out I was pregnant and she would have knitted stuff I reckon. I asked my other gran but she didnt make anything :nope: I was really disappointed. She bought a second hand one but its just not the same :shrug:

My mum would knit for your LO if you sent a pattern and wool that you liked!! She's ADDICTED!!!!! X x

I dunno if it's an age thing, but I'm 29 and I looooove hand knitted stuff. I get jealous that baby gets such lovely things, I want them in my size too :haha:
My mum has always knitted though so I grew up in handmade jumpers and cardigans, guess it seems normal to me.
Shop bought things are lovely too but I really like the uniqueness of homemade. Don't think anyone else has a luminous rainbow hoodie for their 3 month old!

Isobel has got a luminous rainbow wrap around cardigan, no hood though lol!

I'm 35 and we've been given quite a few hand knitted things, some from my mum and also some stuff knitted by other people for her cousin (and then handed down to Isobel). A couple of the hand me downs are the type of wool that gets lots of fibres coming off, so I haven't put her in those. Everything else though she's worn and looks adorable in them.

My mum also sews (she made my stunning wedding dress and really should've made a career out of it) and has made Isobel some lovely dresses.

I love that we have lots of unique things for Isobel. I do like the traditional old fashioned look sometimes though, but also like modern stuff. Alongside the homemade stuff in Isobel's wardrobe are jeggings and trendy little tops etc. She also has a pile of boys clothes - who says girls can't wear dinosaur and robot tee shirts?

I was 18 when I had mia and 25 Ellie and LOVED hand knitted clothes both times xx

I love the knitted stuff I think its super cute I have a few gorgeous shawls and cardigans my friends have done for me. I wish I could knit! Im 31 BTW X

I have loads of knitted things and love them, I'm 31. I also think lo looks great in babygros even during the day and they are so easy and comfy. I have a friend that us younger at 21 and she has to have her lo dressed in a proper outfit every day- jeans etc and would never consider hand knitted things.

I think its just a matter of taste. Personally I love the handmade look as it's much more unique. I've been given loads of knitted things for LO and have even knitted and crocheted things myself. I suppose it could be an age thing too. I love all these things now (I'm 30) but would have died of embarassment when I was 14 if I'd had to wear anything homemade. I actually liked the look but was too worried about what other people would think. Now that I'm older I don't care so much what others think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->