Hand knitted clothes - is it an age thing

I'm 18 and I loveee hand knitted clothes for babies :flower:. My OH's gran, mum's friend and my gran have all been knitting away - hats, mittens, cardigans etc. I'm not a big fan of 'proper' outfits on babies though, just think they will be lovely plus practical over a sleepsuit/onesie considering bubs is due in December LOL :). I don't think it's an age thing, just a taste thing. x

Sophie has had loads of hand knitted stuff since she was born! I love it! She is nearly 19 months now and I still put her in hand knitted things. My mum has done a load of leg warmers for her, and she looks so cute in them!

This is what my made recently for Sophie, matching Hat and Jumper.

Attachments

• 241020111153.jpg
    241020111153.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
I love the look of hand knitted stuff and I am turning 29 this month. However, I don't like manmade fibres on small babies, and actual wool is too scratchy (I HATED my wooly jumpers as a kid, I was always itchy) so my LO never really had anything.

You can get some lovely yarns for babies now such as Debbie Bliss' Baby Cashmerino - it's really soft and not scratchy at all. I used to hate itchy wooly jumpers when I was little too.

https://www.debbieblissonline.com/Yarn.asp?yid=12

I have a few handmade knitted things for him though I don't knit. I don't have the patience. I'm 22.

I'm in my 30's and put Maia in hand knitted things when she was younger. Some of them were so nice I had people asking me where I bought them

Edited to add I don't knit myself. No time, no patience and just not good at it

I love knitted clothes if they are simple and not in your face like some can be. That's just down to my personal taste, I don't like puffy, frilly clothes. I'm 21.

Molly has a GORGEOUS knitted hat - soft yarn, beautiful butter-yellow color - that a friend of mine knit for her. I love it. If we didn't live in such a warm climate I know we'd be given WAY more knitted things, I have a Nan and a few friends who love knitting.
I'm 23 - and if we didn't live in freaking HAWAII I'd dress my LO in all kinds of hand-knitted things, I love them!

I'm 32. Wouldn't dress LO in knitted clothing all of the time. Might use a warm knit winter sweater though? I do use knitted blankets for him though & LOVE them.

I'm 25 and I love home made knitted clothes! My SIL and my OH's friend have made lots of nice hats and socks and mittens and cardigans for Maria. And we were handed on a cardigan that OH's mum had made for OH's neice years ago before she died, so we really treasure that one. And OH's neice who is just a teenager crocheted a blanket and a romper suit for Maria.
SIL makes socks for me and OH too and they are great, wearing a pair right now!

Here's Maria's knitted hat - I love it!
https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u143/generalgayer/baby%20new%20home/09e37cb3.jpg

I was 24 when poppy was born, 25 now and love knitted stuff. Have stuff from my mum, auntie and sister . My sister is a knitwear designer so her stuff is pretty cool anyway . The cardys from my mum and auntie are lovely.

It depended on who was doing the knitting :haha:

My Mother was a fab knitter and my babies wore a lot of the stuff she made ... my MIL on the other hand knitted a lot but in really weird colours and patterns and her tension was all over the place so they were often baggy in places but with necks that were too tight to fit :dohh:

I can't knit myself ... I sew a lot and make all kinds of other 'crafty' stuff, but anything to do with wool and I'm all thumbs lol

Tattie hates hand knits, but has loads that have been given to her ... cardis, matinee jackets etc. They are all stored at my house and, to be honest are looking for a good home where they will be used and loved. They are mostly in 0-3 month sizes and have never been worn (both girl and boy stuff), so if any of you girls who love hand knits but have no-one to knit them would like a bundle just PM me and I'll be happy to post them to you FOC :happydance:

They were made with love and deserve to be appreciated :flower:

i have a knitted blue jumper that i was given for lucas by a friends nan. he wore it a few times over sleepsuits but oh hates knitted things and prefers him in 'proper' clothes.

i'm 21 and oh is 25 :)

It totally depends on the knitting. All the 'granny' stuff that has been knitted for Holly only gets worn indoors, I'd never let her be seen in public with it on. My mum on the other hand is an amazing knitter. She's made the most fantastic blankets, hats and cardis/jumpers for Holly. We get so many compliments on them because they're made with real wool and are really unique. The real wool isn't scratchy because it's especially developed for babies. It is pricey to knit nice stuff though, a cardi costs about £30 if you're using decent wool. I'm 31 btw, and my mum is 53 so not that old.

Yeah has to be good quality wool, not the scratchy stuff.

Holly has a hat similar to Maria's - love it! Hers has 2 pompoms either side, they look like little ears :haha:

I was 23 when Niamh was born and love hand knitted things. Cardys over her baby grow when she was little and now chunky jumpers with a pair of jeans.

I like hand knitted stuff if it is nice and good quality, but if it was scratchy wool and I didn't like the item, then no! I'm 29.

im 24 and love putting ivy-mae in homemade knitted cardies she looks so cute :) xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->