Harmony Test??

ljlmom2be

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a doctor's appointment next Monday and I've never heard of it but a mom to four little ones told me yesterday about something called the Harmony Test? Has anyone else ever heard of and/or taken this test before? Apparently it is non-invasive and can tell you if you are at high-risk for chromosomal disorders like down syndrome? It also apparently can tell you at 11 weeks if your baby is a boy or girl? Any info would be much appreciated :)

I have looked into this, are you from UK?

Fetal medicine centre on Harley st do it for around £400-£500, there a couple of options you can choose. You also get free amnio or cvs if needed

Xx

I have looked into this, are you from UK?

Fetal medicine centre on Harley st do it for around £400-£500, there a couple of options you can choose. You also get free amnio or cvs if needed

Xx

Hi, no I live in the States in California. I've looked around and have found some different answers on what it costs I guess I would just like some real feedback from moms on here who have done it.

There are at least three very similar tests (Harmony, Panorama and Maternit21) that use a similar approach to look at circulating DNA from the placenta (which contains the baby's DNA) in the mother's blood. At ~11 weeks, there is usually enough circulating material to get a good sample. They screen for the three most common genetic trisomy conditions (13, 18 and 21), of which Down's Syndrome is the most common, and at least one of the tests also looks at duplications of the sex chromosomes (like Klinefelter's and Turner's syndrome). All can accurately determine the gender of the baby, but this is NOT the main reason they are performed.

It is worth asking your doctor. Some will only order the test if there is an increased risk of one of the genetic disorders due to advanced maternal age, family history or "soft markers" appearing on other scans. The testing is very accurate, but you will still be advised to have the even more definitive amnio or CVS to confirm a positive result (i.e. diagnosis of a problem).

I had the Maternit21 ('cause I'm old) at 12 weeks, and got results within ~10 days indicating normal chromosomes and a baby boy. For me, having the results provided some peace of mind, and there was no risk to the baby.

I had the MaterniT21 test done at 10+3. My doctor took 2 vials of blood, and I got the results back a week later. My test was done in December, and the test company is still going back and forth with my insurance. I spoke to a rep from the company in January, and I was told that if insurance denied my claim, the most I'd pay is my standard co-pay/co-insurance amount plus $200. I reached my out-of-pocket max last year, so I expect that the most I'd have to pay is $200 if insurance doesn't cover it.

I paid £395 here in Northern Ireland and got risk of less than 1 in 10,000 for all three trisomies. Love the reassurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->