Harmony Testing!

Celeste Ann

Reaction score
Harmony Prenatal Test

Alright, so some will probably say no and some will probably say yes!

It determines a few different things - and can be offered as earlier as 10 weeks. (Gender being one!)

I personally got mine done as soon as I could. I found out at 12 weeks what I was having -
A bouncing baby boy! I know a lot of people don't/can't find out until much later on. Which is one reason why I would REALLY recommend this test!

What is it? Is it painful?

Harmony Prenatal Test is a new type of test that analyzes DNA in a sample of your blood to predict the risk of Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and certain other genetic conditions.

No! It's normal blood work, it goes through your arm (left or right) where they take other blood work from.

Just ask your doctor about it, and see if they offer it!
(Most insurance companies will cover this)

~Please no negative comments - Some women may really enjoy knowing this information!~

I wish I could get this done, but it's not covered unless you're 35 or older or one of the other (less accurate) tests shows something positive. I think gender would be nice, but I think I also wish I had the piece of mind of having a better idea if there was anything wrong. From what I've read, it has good accuracy. We had a scare with DD with a soft marker on her 20 week ultrasound. We were just able to do a quad marker blood test very quickly after the ultrasound, but the numbers were still not that reassuring. I'm going to do the first trimester screen this time around (wasn't offered with my first) and they said they'd do a Harmony if that showed issues, but I wish the Harmony was just cheap enough that they could go ahead and offer it.

This test is only available privately in the UK for around £600. A friend of mine who lives in south west London had one done for free at her local hospital as they are trialling it there. As I am 38, I will be paying privately for this scan for the Downs and Edwards results. I don't want to find out the gender. When I bought the topic up with my GP, firstly he had never heard of the test so Googled it right there and then. After scanning through the basic information he said that I should be able to rely on the nuchal fold testing just as much as the Harmony test. I'm still going to have the Harmony test regardless of the results of the nuchal fold test. x

Just to add to the OP's info: the test picks up the baby's DNA in the mother's bloodstream, so the DNA results are 99% accurate. x

I did the panorama test (which is similar to the harmony test) last week and am expecting results by 9oct14. It cost me $1100 Canadian even though I'm 35 as my insurance didnt cover it and OHIP only covers if you have family history of the tested abnormalities. Fore the piece of mind will be worth every penny, this baby is most important thing in our lives and we spend so much more on luxuries in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->