Harry George Arthur Lees, born 6/10/09, at 39+4. (update p2 new pics)

florabean1981

mum to Harry 06/10/09
Reaction score
So, my waters broke spontaneously at 2:35am in my lounge while I was moisterising my bump, lol. I was like, "did I just pee myself???" I waited for another gush before I could tell, then woke my OH (Craig) up. His response was, "Can you make me some toast then?"

I texted my sister who told me to call my midwife, which I did. They asked me to come in & get checked over at my local maternity unit to make sure it was waters & that I was okay etc. We got home again at 4am, and were told that contractions will kick in over the next 24 hours & to fill out some observation sheets in the meantime & to get some rest. Instead, I cleaned my bathroom, down on all 4s, lol, eating shreddies & drinking lucozade!!!!- anything to try & speed the process up!

My contractions kicked in at about 5am & began to hurt- but nothing that bouncing on my gym ball, a hot water bottle & 2 paracetamol couldn't handle. I used contraction master (brilliant) to monitor things & when they contractions were lasting about 45 sec & were less than 5 mins apart, OH called the main hospital maternity unit to let them know we were coming in. We hit all the rush hour traffic, in lovely stormy weather which was quite scary, but we got there at 9am & were seen straight away, booked in etc & I was pacing the room, getting more & more in pain. I was given Co-Dydramol (sp?) to help with the pain (even thought I looked at her & was like, 'You have got to be kidding, give me the good stuff!') & had Craig rubbing my back & stuff... He really was amazingly supportive throughout it, and my MW even referred to him as a true gentleman once I had delivered, so I felt really chuffed for him, hehe.

I then started vomitting everywhere, which wasn't fun. They gave me an anti-sickness injection, which did nothing, unfortunately. They hooked me up to monitors & stuff, which meant I couldn't be very 'active' during the labour, and I asked for gas & air. It made me feel really weird, but really did help with the contractions. I decided at this point to labour on my left side because my back & legs were hurting too much & I found it impossible to stay mobile. They did an internal & I was only 1cm dilated!!!!!!! I actually said to my MW, "You have got to be freaking kidding me- check again!"

From 11am-4pm, I was still using the gas & air & they gave me a shot of pethidine at 1pm, which I reacted badly to, hallucinating, feeling sick, unable to sit up properly etc. I managed to dilate to 8cm & was fully effaced, so everything was looking good from that point of view, but I was really struggling to cope with the pain & I was begging for an epidural. I got pretty messed up around then, talking all kindsa crap & accusing my MW of not caring about me and that she was fobbing me off, and that I was a pathetic baby who needs help & that babies shouldn't be allowed to have babies & that I'm scared of spiders & that I will cut him out myself if it takes any longer.... Kinda funny in retrospect, but obviously not at the time! I kept coughing & throwing up & couldn't keep anything down. I became dehydrated & they had to put a canula in- they messed the first one up because they couldn't get a vein properly, so they had to re-do it, so I'm black n blue on my hand n wrist now, lol.

Then, at last, the lovely lady came & did my epidural. I could've kissed her- it made every difference! They left me to sleep for an hour & gather my strength for the delivery. I slowly became fully dilated & they informed me I was ready to push. They lowered the head of the bed & I vomitted right into my midwife's face, which she wasn't impressed about. They gave me some water, which I then puked up again about 20 seconds later. They told me I was now nil by mouth & put another bag thingy on the drip, lol. Was quite amusing actually.....

Coz of the epidural, I couldn't feel the contractions, so I didn't know how to push or when to push or anything, which felt really odd. Then my contractions stopped altogether & my baby's heartrate dropped, along with my BP. They left the room & came back saying they needed to gve me an injection to kick start the contractions again & wait for the consultsant to arrive, or I may end up with an emergency c-section. Both me & my OH said no to the c-section though, & they were happy to let us carry on at that point.

Eventually the consultant arrived & said if I was open to it, he could now see the head, so I could have a ventouse delivery, but that my vagina was too small (sorry, tmi) so I would need to be cut. I agreed, and about 15 minutes later, my little boy was born!!!! The cord was wrapped around his neck, but he was absolutely fine, thank goodness. He felt like 'flubber' coming out, lol. I was given another shot & asked to cough, and out plopped the placenta, which was a lot smaller than I imagined... I was sewed up, and handed my son to breastfeed, which felt amazing. Myself & my OH were holding back the tears & just so relieved to finally have him here & everything be okay...

I wont bore you all with the rest of the gory details, but we decided to call him Harry George Arthur Lees, and he was born after 18 hours of labour, on tues 6th october 2009 (3 days early) at 9:03pm (GMT). He weighed 6lbs 9oz & measured 19.5 inches long with a head circumferance of 35cm. (he's my little pumpkin headed harribo man, lol)

I feel truly blessed to have him in my life & complete my family. Thankyou for all the support you have given me over the last few months- it has meant a lot to me. :hugs:

(photos are: harry a few minutes after he was born, harry having his 2nd ever breastfeed, daddy holding harry at home, harry 2 days old & harry 3 days old.)

Attachments

• DSCF0052.jpg
    DSCF0052.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01834.jpg
    DSC01834.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 53
Congratualtions again!! :flower:

Thanks for sharing x

The pictures of Harry are goregous, the pic of him snoozing away is sooo cute!

Congratulation to You, your OH and to beautiful Harry wishing you all the best.

Aww gorgeous little boy, congratulations hun and well done!

Hes lovely! Congrats! Wonderfull name were calling our little man Harry George hehe x

It was a toss between Harry, Henry or Archie & we thought he looked more like a Harry :) His middle names are after his 2 great-grandads :thumbup:

hes beautiful and well done to you and your OH

couldn't resist adding some more pics of Harry now he's 2 weeks old :)

Attachments

• DSCF0118.jpg
    DSCF0118.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0145.jpg
    DSCF0145.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0172.jpg
    DSCF0172.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0052.jpg
    DSCF0052.jpg