has anybody dealt with someone with mental illness? :(

Reidfidleir

Reaction score
I'm not going to go into details because I could write a book at this point. I have a friend and she has borderline personality disorder. If you quickly look it up on Wikipedia it describes her to a t and also the effects it can have on those surrounding them. I love her very much and she is seeing a psychologist although it's not regular.
I'm just having a hard time emotionally right now. And if anybody has any tips or personal experience even if it's not bpd. Basically the persons friends can go from being on a pedestal in their mind to as bad as the devil. There is no in between.
I've been ok up until now and even handling everything as balanced as I can being pregnant and all but right now I just feel beaten down.
Anyway. Thanks for listening.

Hi there
I was diagnosed with BPD a few years ago now. If you'd like to PM me I'd be happy to help you with any questions or anything. I still find it a difficult thing to throw out there in a public forum but I'm always keen to support people experiencing it either directly or indirectly :hugs:

Oh if you click on my name above my photo you'll get the option to send a private message x

Hey there. I have a friend who i work with OCD and also some signs of being bipolar. It's really difficult to work with her sometimes as she is super negative and paranoid about people's motives and tends to jump to conclusions and sometime can have proper tantrums! I just try and not let it stress me out (easier said than done)- when she's feeling well she's great to be with. Maybe I cope with it well as my mother has had severe mental health issues too and I just try and look at it like any other illness- realise I'm not to blame and hope they will get better soon.

I can really relate to this. I have a friend who has long-standing depression, severe OCD and is also seeking help about BPD.
Throughout the last 10 years I have felt very drained by her. I had my own issues to deal with; like the sudden unexpected death of my Mum while I was growing up but I could never show too much emotion around her as she made me feel like she was too vulnerable and it would push her over the edge. I constantly walked on egg shells around her and let her push her way further into my life; like the time I got a 4 page essay saying how let down she felt as I hadn't asked her to be a bridesmaid. I had wanted just my closest friend and I was thinking about the cost, etc. Needless to say, I was weak and she got her way.
Throughout the first 7 months of this pregnancy, she seemed to get even worse. She was insisting that after I finished work in the evenings (I work full time) and whenever she was working a late shift that I "HAD TO" drive 6 miles to her house to check that all of her plugs were off. This is because of her OCD. I tried to find solutions such as getting her to ask her colleagues to pop in on their way home from an early shift to do it (as her work is 2 mins from her home) but apparently she only trusts me to check properly. I can't tell you how tired I sometimes was but she would never take no for an answer and I was weak for such a long time.
She has dating problems. Sadly men run a mile because she is very intense, distrusting and full-on. She can be very argumentative and they don't take the nonsense, unlike me. So I normally end up with a crying friend on my doorstep (unexpectedly & at least twice a week) or on the phone (most nights for hours at a time). My husband was at breaking point and to be honest so was I.
Well one night I just needed some space so I didn't answer my mobile or my house phone. She literally rang both phones every ten minutes until gone ten at night. I had countless text messages. I knew from experience that the minute I responded (even with an excuse about being busy) she would either get the hump or try to ring even more if she knew I was definitely in. I had planned on lying (not like me) and getting in touch the next day to say I'd been out and hadn't heard my phone. However, her last text said she was worried and was going to call the police to check on me (OMG!) so I had to contact her in the end! As I was genuinely exhausted and my husband wanted to tell her to cool-it, I needed to say that I couldn't dedicate as much time to her anymore as I needed to prepare for the baby.
To be honest it was scaring me that she might not accept that I couldn't dedicate hours each day for her constant dramas. She would know that I'd soon be home on maternity leave with the baby and could turn up any time, ring constantly (waking the baby) etc etc.
Well when I plucked up the courage and told her as tactfully as I could that I needed space, she went absolutely mad. She called me all the names under the sun- mainly that I'm the most selfish person she knows. She slated my relationship with my husband. She just lost the plot. Throughout all of this I didn't say anything derogatory back as I was aware that she's ill. I must admit that it did take some restraint but I'm used to being weak around her.
I let her say her piece and then I said that our friendship has run it's course.
It's been nearly 2 months and I don't regret it in the slightest. I actually feel quite empowered and for once in my life I feel very selfish but for all the right reasons. I have time for my husband and will have all the time in the world for my baby boy. I have never had issues with any of my other friends; they enhance my life. I honestly feel like I've done the right thing but I know that I sound awful.
I have got a mutual friend to check that she's ok but I made it clear that I didn't want to build the bridge but was just concerned for her welfare and she is being there for her which is nice.
Sorry for the essay (I reckon this is easily the longest post I've ever done on here) xxx

I've got bi-polar disorder but with the right combination of medication, I've been stable for over two years. I used to be HORRIBLE and my lifestyle, choices and friendships were atrocious.
I know that not everyone is pro meds, but i really can;t recommend them enough from personal experience

I can really relate to this. I have a friend who has long-standing depression, severe OCD and is also seeking help about BPD.
Throughout the last 10 years I have felt very drained by her. I had my own issues to deal with; like the sudden unexpected death of my Mum while I was growing up but I could never show too much emotion around her as she made me feel like she was too vulnerable and it would push her over the edge. I constantly walked on egg shells around her and let her push her way further into my life; like the time I got a 4 page essay saying how let down she felt as I hadn't asked her to be a bridesmaid. I had wanted just my closest friend and I was thinking about the cost, etc. Needless to say, I was weak and she got her way.
Throughout the first 7 months of this pregnancy, she seemed to get even worse. She was insisting that after I finished work in the evenings (I work full time) and whenever she was working a late shift that I "HAD TO" drive 6 miles to her house to check that all of her plugs were off. This is because of her OCD. I tried to find solutions such as getting her to ask her colleagues to pop in on their way home from an early shift to do it (as her work is 2 mins from her home) but apparently she only trusts me to check properly. I can't tell you how tired I sometimes was but she would never take no for an answer and I was weak for such a long time.
She has dating problems. Sadly men run a mile because she is very intense, distrusting and full-on. She can be very argumentative and they don't take the nonsense, unlike me. So I normally end up with a crying friend on my doorstep (unexpectedly & at least twice a week) or on the phone (most nights for hours at a time). My husband was at breaking point and to be honest so was I.
Well one night I just needed some space so I didn't answer my mobile or my house phone. She literally rang both phones every ten minutes until gone ten at night. I had countless text messages. I knew from experience that the minute I responded (even with an excuse about being busy) she would either get the hump or try to ring even more if she knew I was definitely in. I had planned on lying (not like me) and getting in touch the next day to say I'd been out and hadn't heard my phone. However, her last text said she was worried and was going to call the police to check on me (OMG!) so I had to contact her in the end! As I was genuinely exhausted and my husband wanted to tell her to cool-it, I needed to say that I couldn't dedicate as much time to her anymore as I needed to prepare for the baby.
To be honest it was scaring me that she might not accept that I couldn't dedicate hours each day for her constant dramas. She would know that I'd soon be home on maternity leave with the baby and could turn up any time, ring constantly (waking the baby) etc etc.
Well when I plucked up the courage and told her as tactfully as I could that I needed space, she went absolutely mad. She called me all the names under the sun- mainly that I'm the most selfish person she knows. She slated my relationship with my husband. She just lost the plot. Throughout all of this I didn't say anything derogatory back as I was aware that she's ill. I must admit that it did take some restraint but I'm used to being weak around her.
I let her say her piece and then I said that our friendship has run it's course.
It's been nearly 2 months and I don't regret it in the slightest. I actually feel quite empowered and for once in my life I feel very selfish but for all the right reasons. I have time for my husband and will have all the time in the world for my baby boy. I have never had issues with any of my other friends; they enhance my life. I honestly feel like I've done the right thing but I know that I sound awful.
I have got a mutual friend to check that she's ok but I made it clear that I didn't want to build the bridge but was just concerned for her welfare and she is being there for her which is nice.
Sorry for the essay (I reckon this is easily the longest post I've ever done on here) xxx

Thank you for this post this was like reading a story from my life a year ago, I had a friend whom I no longer speak to was the same not quite so severe, however the way she was interfered with my life to such a extent I felt I had no escape from her, she actually had no diagnosed mental health problems, but took a lot of time, I was planning a wedding and in the midst of this fell pregnant and had a miscarriage, if was not around for her and her never ending problems I was labeled selfish if she wasn't included in every plan I.made she'd get upset, in some ways I felt she wanted my life (she had been single for a long time) so she clung to me like a limpit, she ended the friendship after I didn't invite her to my "work" hen meal where no outside friends were invited, I only wish I'd had the guts to end it myself sooner, she drained me and since I've spoken to her my life has been so much easier, I think sometimes you have bite the bullet and do what you did I think these friendships are what they call toxic and even if that person does suffer with mental illness as sad as it is, it is not your responsibility to fix them and you can't win no matter what you do xx

You are definitely right. I do have brief moments of feeling guilt, but I quickly snap out of it. I think we have both made the right decision. One of my friends gave me some advice from an outsider looking in and made me see sense. I remember her saying it's so much easier ending a relationship than a friendship. It's so hard to find the words. Good luck to anyone in similar situations. Motherhood is going to be a lovely challenge without extra pressures from other people xx

My ex has bi polar and I'm sure some form of personality disorder. My sister is having some kind of mental breakdown at the moment too and the family has begged her to get help but she refuses. My mum was even going to call a doctor the other weeks to get her help and I wish she did but my mum didn't want to feel like a bad person? They're going down the tough love road but it's not working. I'm 38 weeks pregnant now and it was bad enough breaking away from my ex as he was no and off with seeking help, one moment knowing he needed it and the next thinking he could do it alone until it got really bad he got nasty. It's hard with my sister those as I can normally be her rock but with a lo and being pregnant it's too hard and I feel bad coz I've had to distance myself from her because the stress is a lot on my pregnancy and with my ex issue I need to stay sane.

Maybe distance yourself a little from your friend don't cut her off but just focus on you and family for a little to take your mind of it and if she really needs you she can call you.

Thanks for your replies everybody. Unfortunately as far as I've read there are no medications to treat bpd. Only psychotherapy. She has gone to a psychologist but I'm not sure when she went last or how frequently she is going. If she is. She has mentioned hospitalization herself but was fearful about losing her job or place to live. Looks like that's already happening right now.
I was thinking of writing her a letter explaining how I felt this past week and putting down some clear guidelines.
I just don't know how to write that without her feeling "abandoned" since I know that can be a big trigger for her and for self harm.
What she wants from a friendship only a mate can provide. But yet she says she wants a balanced friendship where there is giving and emotional support on both ends. It's just not possible it seems to me. I mean. If she has such severe and intense emotions and breakdowns it's hard for me to want to open up to her so she can listen to me you know? Blah. Thanks for reading.

I wonder if there are any support groups for friends / family of those living with mental illness. I can understand u not wanting to turn your back on your friend when she needs u. It would be good if there was a phone service where u could talk through your friends actions and get advice on what to do in those scenarios.
U said about her wanting a balanced friendship and her wanting u to open up to her. I know from experience that it can go horribly wrong. So I just gave what she needed to the friendship much to the detriment of my own life. I had other friends who I could talk to about anything and everything. Sorry I don't have any good advice. Just wanted u to know you're not alone. Good luck xx

There are medications for BPD (primarily mood stabilizers) but it's not unusual for people to refuse them - some don't like them, some don't feel they need them, some don't wish to end the 'mania' part of it. Like all drugs, they can have adverse reactions in some people that make it worse.

I have not had BPD. I did have postnatal depression for a year, I worked in mental health for years, and I have a lot of experience dealing with BPD people in crisis situations in policing.

Do keep in mind that because one has a mental illness, it does not give them permission to treat you badly or for you to feel 'trapped' (ie. you are scared she will harm herself if you stop the friendship). That is not acceptable. I would recommend you seek help with any local society for community mental health (phone book should provide a few) and talk to a professional about how they can help you help her.

I wrote her a letter. It took me all morning. It's funny because I planned on doing that and she ended up leaving a letter in the door for me yesterday. (it was an ok letter wasn't angry or extreme thankfully).
I basically told her how much I love her and care about her and want her to be happy. I also mentioned that we both want a balanced friendship (she has said this many times) but that her actions show that what she wants is a mate. And that no friendship or family can provide that nor should the expectation be there.
I also told her that I have only spent time with her and my husband and it's too limited. I went on to say that how she has responded to my reaching out and being there for her has really hurt me in the last week and that I need time to heal emotionally. Also reassuring her that these feelings werent built up and something i never expressed but that it was only in the last week i felt that way I said that i did not want to cut off the friendship but we should not text for a while so as to avoid misconstruing msgs and that it would be better to be with each other in small groups instead of one on one.
I concluded by telling her I loved her again that I would hope that the doctor could continue to help her but that the breathing space would only help our friendship.

I anticipate either silence or anger on her part but hopefully she will come around. I just wanted to try so hard to not feed into feelings of abandonment. I hope I accomplished that.

hey there I was also diagnosed last year with BPD and its a mixture of emotions
with BPD medication only helps a bit, its mainly therapy and DBT therapy which is different cognitive behavioural therapy that apparently works well
BPD is very similar to bipolar only less black and white
you can have long periods of feeing great and longer lasting major depressive episodes and you tend to rely heavily on things that act as a crutch like for example food was a big one for me then prescription meds so therapy is the best form of treatment through a psychiatrist

im a borderline, been in hosp for 18 months, due for discharge on 3rd of jan but dont know how im going to cope

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->