Has anyone been told the wrong gender?

babytots

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you were told boy/girl at a gender scan to find that baby was infact the opposite. I feel like I'm in limbo land was told boy at my 16 week gender scan but I'm really not convinced. He doesn't have defined boy bits like my two sons did and the sonographer made no attempt to point out properly what we was looking at just pointed the arrow in that direction and told me it was a boy. Nor did she bother to zoom in for more detail when I questioned her.

With my two boys I knew the sex before they even told me as they were very much obliging when it came to showing us with this one I thought she was going to say girl as I could not see a winkie in view.

I'm driving myself batty over this so thought I would see if it has happened to anyone else? My 20 week scan is in 4 weeks and I'm tempted to have another scan just to set my mind at ease but DH doesn't want me wasting my money X

I was not told the wrong gender but i was convinced otherwise. My first two are girls. When i had the scan with my third, they told me a girl but didn't show me any girl parts either. I was convinced they got it wrong but no she's definitely a girl!
Anyway i hope you get what you want x

My DHs cousin was told girl at 16 weeks, at 20 weeks definitely boy.

We were told girl at 18 weeks, so we have a name and girl clothes, but I am keeping all large items neutral just in case. I prefer to keep them neutral anyway, in case we have a 3rd.

My friend was told a girl at 20weeks and gave birth to a baby boy

Thanks ladies. I've been googling as you do and found quite a few posts where it has happened to others. I think when I next get scanned it will be confirmed a boy but there's that tiny niggle that maybe it's wrong.

I've posted pics in the gender prediction section if anyone wants to nosy and tell me their opinion :) x

My friend was told girl at her many scans, so was shocked to have a little boy.

It happens, but it's pretty rare. I wasn't super duper confident in the 16 week scan (the tech was confident, it was just such a blurry shot), and at 20 weeks I got a very unenthusiastic "it's legs are crossed but it looks like it's probably a boy." Not very reassuring, but I just went with it since our big stuff is all neutral and most boy stuff can be used for a girl. We had a growth scan recently and he's definitely a boy! I'll post my 16 week shot for you to compare, it doesn't look like much to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20140914_2_4.jpg
    IMG_20140914_2_4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 55
I was told girl at 20 weeks and she showed us 3 lines but i kept thinking What if so i paid for a private scan and he said baby girl too so in my case it was right. Its hard when u are trying to prepare and start worrying. Think they say its more likely for a girl to turn out a boy. Good luck xx

Thanks ladies I think the sonographer probably is right and that this baby is probably just shy but I can't shake off that niggle. We have thought of a boys name now so it's making it feel more real :) x

My SIL was told definitely a girl at her 20 week anatomy scan. She didn't believe it though, in her heart she kept picturing a baby boy. Well low and behold she gave birth to a boy! Lol she said she wasn't shocked in the least bc she just had that feeling that it was a boy all along.

An old classmate and his wife were told girl at their 20 weeks scan. They were very excited as they had 2 boys and were looking forward to a girl. They were really shocked when they gave birth to a baby boy (but still very happy).

Theirs is the only one I've heard of that happening with though.

I'm not sure how common it is, but it is possible (though from what I understand more common to be told girl and it's a boy). Good luck at your anatomy scan! :)

My mom was told I would be a boy through her entire pregnancy. The doctors insisted on it.

Imagine her surprise when I was born without important boy parts. She was so exhausted after an extended labor that she thought I was deformed. :rofl:

Nope, alllllllll woman.

I've been wondering this. I had a blood test done about 2 weeks ago and was told that I will be having a baby girl! I was completely shocked because the weekend before I just got an overwhelming feeling that it was a boy, I still have this feeling. I will be able to compare at the 20 week scan on what it is! I would be so happy to have either a little girl or boy, but I just can't shake the thought that this baby is a boy!

I've been wondering this. I had a blood test done about 2 weeks ago and was told that I will be having a baby girl! I was completely shocked because the weekend before I just got an overwhelming feeling that it was a boy, I still have this feeling. I will be able to compare at the 20 week scan on what it is! I would be so happy to have either a little girl or boy, but I just can't shake the thought that this baby is a boy!

if you got a blood test that checks the chromosomes, I dont see how that could be wrong.
..... I also did the harmony test which told me its a boy. Now you have me worried. I'm told these test are 99% accurate.

Yeah, a blood test to determine gender isn't exactly the same thing as going, "Hey, I think I see a tiny penis!" :lol: If they've checked if it's XX or XY, that's pretty solid.

Yeah, a blood test to determine gender isn't exactly the same thing as going, "Hey, I think I see a tiny penis!" :lol: If they've checked if it's XX or XY, that's pretty solid.

Yeah that was my thought too, I've just read some things online about the blood tests not being as accurate as they claim. That will my weird feeling just have me wondering haha! I'm sure it's right though. I just don't want to start buying everything for a girl and then have the doctor say its a boy! There is always that tiny chance its wrong and so many people like to remind me of that. Plus I'm such a worrier. I really just need to stay off Google and trust the doctor! haha!

I would trust the blood test results, but if you are concerned, you can always buy unisex items. :)

:dohh:

Yeah that was my thought too, I've just read some things online about the blood tests not being as accurate as they claim. That will my weird feeling just have me wondering haha! I'm sure it's right though. I just don't want to start buying everything for a girl and then have the doctor say its a boy! There is always that tiny chance its wrong and so many people like to remind me of that. Plus I'm such a worrier. I really just need to stay off Google and trust the doctor! haha!

When I read your comment last night, I started googling myself, lol. I couldn't find any concrete research of wrong sex. I believe it's a better chance of the down syndrome or other abnormalities being wrong than the gender. Gender is simply the chromosomes. Chromosomes produce the private parts and gender make up. I'm thinking if its wrong, it could be a case of a child having both parts. And we know that is possible......but even then I think they test the chromosomes and parents usually choose the sex that's matched.

I seen "birth day" episode when a baby had a penis, but ovaries. They tested she was female. So she had surgery to correct the genital area. I don't believe it was a normal penis but something that looked of it.

I did read one comment where someone said their doctor told them 1 test was wrong for the sex in their office. Not sure how true. But reading dozens of other comments, everyone at least said the sex was right. Maybe the likely hood of telling you it's a girl when it's boy could be a glitch too. Just being that it's tested from a woman's blood and maybe the male DNA isn't potent at the time of testing. I'm just thinking outside the box.

but please keep me posted if you hear anything.

I felt in my heart i was having a girl too, lol, proved me wrong! We will see though. I would hate for it to be wrong and buy all boy stuff.

:dohh:

When I read your comment last night, I started googling myself, lol. I couldn't find any concrete research of wrong sex. I believe it's a better chance of the down syndrome or other abnormalities being wrong than the gender. Gender is simply the chromosomes. Chromosomes produce the private parts and gender make up. I'm thinking if its wrong, it could be a case of a child having both parts. And we know that is possible......but even then I think they test the chromosomes and parents usually choose the sex that's matched.

I seen "birth day" episode when a baby had a penis, but ovaries. They tested she was female. So she had surgery to correct the genital area. I don't believe it was a normal penis but something that looked of it.

I did read one comment where someone said their doctor told them 1 test was wrong for the sex in their office. Not sure how true. But reading dozens of other comments, everyone at least said the sex was right. Maybe the likely hood of telling you it's a girl when it's boy could be a glitch too. Just being that it's tested from a woman's blood and maybe the male DNA isn't potent at the time of testing. I'm just thinking outside the box.

but please keep me posted if you hear anything.

I felt in my heart i was having a girl too, lol, proved me wrong! We will see though. I would hate for it to be wrong and buy all boy stuff.

Yeah thats just it on google there isn't a ton of concrete scientific studies with these tests. So really its random comments on websites which arent really reliable sources! I don't really want to believe random comments saying it was inaccurate, but I can't seem to find a concrete precentage for the accuracy either.

Makes me nervous though about the abnormalities now, they told me everything came back negative so I'm really just hoping everything they said is true. I think I'm just worried cause I worry so much, plus I don't know anyone personally that has had this test done. I know millions of people have had it done, but sometimes it makes you feel better when you have family and friends tell you its right!

I get my 20 wk ultrasound done April 15, so I think if I go there and they tell me that its a girl too that I will feel much more convinced and can hopefully stop worrying and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy!

What test did you get done? Maternit21 accuracy results for fetal sex is listed as 99.4%. Those are pretty good odds of being right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->