• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has anyone ever had anti sickness drugs in labour?

willowblossom

Reaction score
Long story short I have a severe phobia of vomiting 🤢 I was never sick in labour with my other 2 but felt extremely nauseous the whole time. The thought if that scares me more about any of the labour pain. As I am hoping for a homebirth, my midwife said they can't administer anti sickness drugs at home like they can in hospital. I have seen my GP and she has prescribed cyclizine and promethazine to take when I go into labour to help. The only thing that worries my us on the label of both drugs it says that they both make you very drowsy, not what you want in labour!! 😁 the promethazine is actually usually given as a sleeping aid! did anybody else have these drugs in labour and dud you feel any side effects?

I take promethazine daily and it never helps my sickness but I have used cyclizine in 3 pregnancies now. The drowsiness isn't like a knock out. if anything I reckon it'd help in labour just relaxes your body which isn't a bad thing

Thanks boothh. That makes me feel a bit better about it. I think Il try the cyclizine before the promethazine then xx

Hi, I haven't got any answers for you but just wanted you to know you aren't alone, I also have a severe vomit phobia which has really affected my life. I'm now trying to conceive my 3rd baby an I'm very anxious about it. X

Not during labor, but I took the max dose of cyclizine until 24 weeks of my first pregnancy and 21 weeks this time around. Does make you a little drowsy but not massively so.

Yep I've taken cyclizine and didn't really notice drowsiness particularly x

I had cyclazine through my pregnancy which didn't stop the vomiting, I was really drowsy but I was working full time and commuting 4 hours per day so I can't say if it was the tablets or just being pregnant and working which caused it.

I was sick for hours in labour, they eventually gave me something which helped massively, and topped it up during my c-section.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person with a severe vomit phobia. 😰

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person with a severe vomit phobia. 😰

So awful isnt it. I've had it all my life, it plays such a big part, I hate it. Have tried all sorts to get rid of it!

During pushing with my VBAC I vomited twice and was given some kind of anti nausea drug which worked like a charm as I didn’t puke again after that. It was administered via IV though so I imagine it was different to what you can take in a home birth.

Thanks ladies. I feel a bit happier taking it now.! Glad I'm not the only one with this phobia. It makes you feel so stupid panicing over a natural reflex :-( mine has got a tiny bit better since having my children but I really fear I'm going to pass it on to them. I hate not being able to comfort them when they are sick. I feel like an awful parent!

Thanks ladies. I feel a bit happier taking it now.! Glad I'm not the only one with this phobia. It makes you feel so stupid panicing over a natural reflex :-( mine has got a tiny bit better since having my children but I really fear I'm going to pass it on to them. I hate not being able to comfort them when they are sick. I feel like an awful parent!

I feel your pain! When my DD has had a tummy bug (which has been rare fortunately), I’m immediately clammy and shaky and have massive trouble comforting her. My husband usually has to take the reigns in that situation. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvaAriasmom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->