Has anyone had a saline sonohysterogram?

Discussion in 'Long Term Trying To Conceive' started by SLH, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SLH

SLH Yeah Right!

I have to have one of these and I'm freaking out. It's a test where they inject saline into your uterus to check for polyps. Has anyone had this? Is it painful?

2. sugarpuff

sugarpuff Well-Known Member

is that a hycosy ? if so then yes ! there was a brief sharp pain when they put the catheter in (apparently my cervix was extremely mobile so they struggled a little) and there was a small amount of crampy feeling when they pushed the fluid in but that was it ! i'd recommend taking a couple of painkillers an hour beforehand as it can get quite crampy afterwards
    xx

3. StorkStalker

StorkStalker Well-Known Member

I have had one, and it is uncomfortable at the most.. kind of like a pap smear, and then they put the saline in and you don´t feel a thing.. at least I didn´t... I had already had a hystersalpingogram and that one hurt a lot, so this one was just uncomfortable... Just remember to take a pad for afterwards because some saline will remain and then it will drip off during the day... I hope everything goes well and you don´t feel pain or anything like that..

4. llampie

llampie LTTC # 1 for 2 yr+

I had one yesterday. I recommend you take 2 extra strength advil/ibuprofen about an hour before your scheduled time. I am not going to lie. It hurt a lot and I am not a wuss when it comes to pain. The pain is brief though. Only a couple of minutes. And only when the saline was injected. I had to breathe deep and say a couple of owe owe owes out loud but then it was over as fast as it started.

I took the rest of the afternoon off of work but I felt fine. A little crampy but thats it. Oh and a pantyliner is necessary afterwards because the saline will leak out.

5. SLH

SLH Yeah Right!

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I had one done already and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a pap smear at the same time as the saline sonohystergram and the pap smear was worse in my opinion. I guess it was more uncomfortable because it lasted longer. The saline was more painful but I would rather that again than a pap smear. The pain only lasted for 2 seconds. It was a bad pressure cramp and I did say ouch, but it was nothing. The anticipation was the worst. Oh, and I had period cramps for 15 minutes afterwords. I for some reason didn't need a pad.