Has anyone weaned off Comfort milk?

Bunnikins

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My 3 month old has been on comfort milk since about 7 weeks old now due to colic. Every feed used to be a struggle and she would cry for HOURS going bright red. Thats all stopped now thanks to this milk, but I would like to get her off it at some point.

Its not so much the cost (its only actually about 50p more for C&G comfort) its more that it doesnt look like "normal" milk and this makes me feel a bit uncomfortable (yes i am a bit crazy!)
Id rather her just have the normal stuff cos i dunno it just seems less science lab messed about with??? Maybe Im being silly but i have always felt a bit funny about her being on it. Also its really thick and has these see through little globules in it and it just seems awful.. She never really seems to ENJOY her milk and it takes her ages to drink a bottle even first thing in a morning.

I also read about colic tending to go off at 3-4 months as babies digestive systems get more mature.

Has anyone successfully weaned off comfort milk? I dont want to do it if it will cause baby any stress but if its just a case of switching and baby being fine, i think its worth a try??

I weaned my ds off of it, but he was on it due to reflux and I ended up still having to give him thickened milk, just that he had normal milk with an additive instead. I can't remember how old he was when we weaned from it, the comfort milk helps them to poo as well so you need to not do it too quickly or they can become constipated and you still end up with a problem just a different one!

I would try replacing one bottle a day at first and then gradually swap more over until you're not on it anymore.

Btw those little globules you mention in the comfort milk. I used to see those in ds bottles as well so I started making them with hotter water and that seemed to make them dissolve. I do seem to remember that there are specific instructions on the box about how hot the water should be to get it to mix properly, although we were on aptamil comfort it's pretty much the same thing.

Hi, i didnt realise it could be given for reflux.. i guess cos its quite thick?

Well i tried giving her 1 bottle of "normal" today and she has been sooooo upset & uncomfortable all afternoon evening. I feel terrible. I honestly thought she'd have grown out of the colic but i guess not! Interestingly though, she gulped down the normal milk whereas she takes ages to finish off a bottle of comfort :shrug:

Comfort milk for a while longer I guess!

Yeah it was because it was thick, although he ended up on gaviscon anyway because it wasn't enough on its own to stop the reflux. I remember those days well of the colicky crying and him being gassy and constipated by the gaviscon, it wasn't pleasant, but the comfort milk did help. I think it's much easier on their tummies than normal milk.

He did eventually end up on normal milk with a different thickener because the gaviscon just wasn't doing his tummy any good. I think he was around 5 months by the time he came off it.

Just keep trying her with a bottle of normal very now and then and see how she goes, one day she might surprise you and not get whingy after. Also have you tried the normal milk with either infacol or dentinox colic drops? My ds didn't get on with infacol as it made his reflux worse but I swore by it with my daughters. Ds was on dentinox for most of the first year, you can put the dose into the milk, so they don't realise it's there and that made a lot of difference with his tummy being less gassy and also helped him bring up wind much easier.

Thanks I hadn't heard of dentinox colic drops. She was on colief for a while which worked fab but I couldn't afford to pay another £13 for the colief for a weeks supply on top of the cost of formula... And my doc refused to prescribe it. Is dentinox cheaper? Infacol just comes straight back, as does gripe water she just can't keep them down for some reason.

The dentinox is about the same price as the infacol. I tried the colief too, but like you said it was sooo expensive! Ds would bring back infacol too, but I think that's because of how you have to give it. The dentinox can either be given like the infacol or in the milk which is how I used to give it to him, tbh I don't even think he realised it was in there, it never came back up and he would always drink his milk fine :)

Dd was on comfort milk from 3 weeks due to colic symptoms, I tried to switch her over to first milk at 4 months as her symptoms had disappeared but after a few bottles she was upset and unsettled so we went back to the magical comfort again. On HV advice I tried again at 6 months and we had no problems then whatsoever

Thanks Loui thats useful to know I guess colic must ease off when they start solids maybe? Its a horrible thing I never experienced with my first baby. I cant believe they dont prescribe anything for it :(

Thanks Loui thats useful to know I guess colic must ease off when they start solids maybe? Its a horrible thing I never experienced with my first baby. I cant believe they dont prescribe anything for it :(

Ugh I know it's dreadful, my DS was colicky too and again the comfort milk was a lifesaver!

I've swapped Leo's milk from comfort to hungry baby and he hasn't even noticed ha. He's weaning atm as well so I think a lot going on at once has actually helped! Though I know u can't do this as your lo is too young.
You could replace it bottle by bottle with a different milk? The first infant milk never got on with Leo it made him sick xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->