• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

has this happened to you, when you had your LO's?

When I was in hospital after LO was born, the mums who were FF just rang their buzzers when it was time for a feed and the midwifes brought ready made up bottles - there was also a choice of formula types.

Exactly the same for me. I think they got offered different types of bottles too. I was a bit miffed that they got better service than me! :haha:

Poor thing. Hope she gets to come home soon where she will get looked after.

that is discusting! and agree it's discrimination to woman who can't breastfeed, or have chosen not to. If I were her I would put in a complaint.

Jarrett was in the NICU and couldn't breastfeed, so I was expressing at the hospital. The first 2 nights (before my milk came in), i couldn't pump enough milk for a feeding so he was topped off with formula .. and the nurses would run and fetch it for me . I didn't have to walk any where or sterilise anything etc. They were all very lovely at the hospital.

I'm so sorry you cousin had to be treated so poorly after just giving birth and having medical problems as well. Congratulations to her though
xx

That's terrible. I couldn't establish breastfeeding and also had a c-section so would buzz the midwives for a readymade bottle until I was able to shuffle along to nurses station to ask for it myself.

I also remember buzzing them to pass me the cotton wool that was on the other side of the bed out of my reach once! I was holding LO and was still attached to a drain and a catheter so moving was a logistical nightmare even without the pain.

wow :shock:
thats disgusting how your cousins being treated if i were her i would tell the midwives to buck their ideas up or let me speak to whoever is in charge of them.
when i went onto the ward after having alfie he went to neonatal and even then they were offering me a wheelchair and it was only across the corridor from my ward and i had an episiotomy so no were near as painful as a c section rediculous!!
when alfie did eventually come onto the ward with me after a week they knew he was ff and just brought me bottles when i buzzed (they were readymade) they didnt even bat an eye lid and were lovely.
what a shame shes having to go through that.

<3

I'd sue a hospital if they did that for putting my health and my babies at risk. It's not like she chose to FF. C-sect is surgery, not to be taken lightly.

When I was in hospital after LO was born, the mums who were FF just rang their buzzers when it was time for a feed and the midwifes brought ready made up bottles - there was also a choice of formula types.

Same when I was in. Saved my bacon the night he was born as I was seriously struggling to feed him so a MW saved me and we topped him up with that. (After another MW made me cry by saying my baby was naughty for crying - Not what you need to hear after being awake for 36 hours)

OMG that's horrendous! Your poor cousin! I tried bf and couldn't and asked for a bottle. In the hospital where I had dd they brought me ready made bottle with the teats in separate sterilised packs for her. The mw's were fab with us.

Would it be possible for you to go and get your cousin some of these if she has to stay in hospital for much longer? I know Cow and Gate do them and SMA. I'm not sure of any other brands though.

Once your cousin feels better, I would get her to put a complaint in against either the hospital or the mw or both.

Huge hugs to your cousin.

That's absolutely appalling, she should definitely complain, that's an awful, degrading way to be treated :( x

That is absolutely appalling.
I'm all for promoting BFing, but that's not the way to do it! Not to mention, your cousin tried and was struggling with BFing!
I would definitely complain and/or sue. That is not the way to be treating patients!

Cant say i experienced this. Infact the ward i was on was the other way - they would come around heading out the formula bottles.

Same here...they were like "are you sure?" when I insisted on breastfeeding him!! I noticed that you're from Wales too, so maybe it's more common round here?:shrug:

Either way, it's appalling, you should get all the help and support you want, however you choose to feed your LO.:growlmad:

"Walking after having your abdomen cut open might not sound very wise, but it is. The article "What to Expect After C-Section" published by WebMD, advises walking with the first 24 hours post -surgery to relieve gas build up from the surgery, prevent pneumonia, constipation and blood clots. It will be painful for a while, but the more you walk the better you will feel.

Take it slowly at first. Start by going to the bathroom and back again a few times a day. Then work your way to walking down the hall, and then around the house, and then down the street. Never go further than you are comfortable with. If it hurts too much: rest. Also, avoid stairs and inclines as much as possible, until your incision is healed.

Read more at Suite101: Postpartum Recovery: C-Section https://www.suite101.com/content/postpartum-recovery-c-section-a318007#ixzz1C4xZoTcB"

And all of this is with a doctors ok. A nurse forcing you to walk a long distance is guilty of serious negligence and deserves a lot more than a complaint.

It happened to me. I didnt have milk to BF after my emergency CS, they sent me a BFing consultant after 18 hrs, Omar couldnt latch on & he was screaming, the consultant gave up after 2 hrs of trying. He developed jaundice as he was not eating. They agreed to give us milk out of a syringe & very little amounts. I have to leave the hospital 1 day early as I couldnt take it anymore. I tried expressing at the hospital & at home but there was no milk at all.

Do they not give premade bottles out in every hospital in the uk

Not in ours, we were expected to provide everything. Weirdly though on his recent hospital visits and stays they have been really keen to give me ready made bottles and free formula (same hospital). It seems to cause great confusion that I bring in a tub of formula and sterilized bottles. I keep getting asked why I brought it in :shrug: my son has Cow & Gate Comfort but they use Cow & Gate basic.

On that note actually two nurses were outside my son's room's open door discussing how another mother wanted Cow & Gate Comfort milk for her son but they didn't do it. I stuck my head out and mentioned we had a full tub and were happy for them to use some from ours till they got their own supplies in. They just told me it didn't matter the baby could have the basic. They wouldn't even pass it on to the child's mum, I wouldn't have been offended if she had said no but it would have been nice for her to have the choice. I am not sure why they don't get that babies are on Comfort milk because they need it for whatever reason, it is not some casual preference.

I find that insulting to FF mothers, at the end of the day everybody has a choice, and to make it difficult for women who are set on FF doesn't seem fair to me, if that was my hospital i definitley wouldn't be giving birth there again.
My midwife was quite helpful with feeding, once back on the ward she got the first 2 bottles and i fed J there, the once my epi had worn off and catheter was out it was only a short walk to the feeding room all mums could feed their babies in there, they had BF pillows aswell, so was ideal whether you wanted to BF or FF, was nice and peaceful in there too, i spent a hour in there was different scenery from the ward.

That is wrong :nope: They should not interfere with how you parent your baby, and they should certainly not make it hard for a new mother, especially one that has been through a c-section, and especially one who has further health problems :shock: I would make a formal complaint if I was her. Midwives are there to deliver the baby, and afterwards to help you care for it, until you are discharged. They are not there to preach about how you should parent your baby, and they are not there to pass judgement. Disgusting.

Actually, moving about soon after a section is GOOD for you.

I do sort of agree with the hospitals policy on encouraging breastfeeding by keeping bottle feeding equipment out of sight, sorry but I do.

The rates of breastfeeding in this country are appauling. They are doing their best for the babies at the end of the day. They don't mean to offend :flower:

That is absolutely disgusting. It is a mother's right to FF her baby, regardless of the reasons. I had to FF my baby in the hospital (jaundice, they told me it was the best way to get the jaundice out of her, long story. I tried BFing her as well) and they even supplied me with the formula.
That just makes me so angry. If a woman chooses to FF, that is her right and it's not the hospital's place to make her feel like shit about it. There's nothing wrong with it!!
If she planned to BF and couldn't for whatever reason, it's a very emotional thing for a lot of women (myself included) and something like that would just make her feel worse, and that's the last thing she needs. She should definitely make a complaint.
I agree that promoting breast feeding is a great idea. Absolutely. But that is NOT the way to go about it.

Actually, moving about soon after a section is GOOD for you.

I do sort of agree with the hospitals policy on encouraging breastfeeding by keeping bottle feeding equipment out of sight, sorry but I do.

The rates of breastfeeding in this country are appauling. They are doing their best for the babies at the end of the day. They don't mean to offend :flower:

WOW good job you're not in charge of maternity wards then, isn't it!!!!

Shall we let babies starve just to prove a point then and to FORCE mothers to BF, cause thats really going to work!

The bottom line is that regardless of anyone's opinion on BF vs. FF, regardless of the fact that breast milk is the best thing you can feed your baby (and yes, I do very much recognize this fact as a FF mother), it is THE MOTHER'S CHOICE how to feed her baby. I think promoting BF is great, and I agree that they need to do that. But making a woman who either chose to FF or is forced to FF feel like shit is WRONG. No matter what the reasons, a woman's decision to FF her baby should be respected. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"