has this happened to you, when you had your LO's?

Don't turn my post into something it isn't Janidog.

But why should bottle feeding equipment be kept out of sight?? What to make it an embarrassment to FF, or to make those that can't BF feel guilty about having to ask for the equipment. Its a woman's right to chose how to feed her baby whether it BF or FF and no one should be judgemental

I would be complaining. That is appauling. I couldn't move after giving birth (literally couldnt move from my hips/pelvis down) and the nurses/health care would bring the made up bottles to me to give to Jacob.

Forcing is wrong. Making people feel judged and shit is wrong. Promoting and encouraging isn't wrong though.

Don't turn my post into something it isn't Janidog.

But why should bottle feeding equipment be kept out of sight?? What to make it an embarrassment to FF, or to make those that can't BF feel guilty about having to ask for the equipment. Its a woman's right to chose how to feed her baby whether it BF or FF and no one should be judgemental

My only guess is that it's to encourage mothers to try breastfeeding first. It isn't about making people feel guilty/judged/embarassed, it's purely about making sure people see breastfeeding as normal and something that should be given a shot.

I agree, nobody should be judgemental, but the NHS don't see it as being judgemental they see it purely for the point that the rates in this country are awful and they need to do something about it.

It is a shame for women that can't breastfeed medically or just cannot. They can't cater for every single situation, just cater for the situation generally. Which is to promote breastfeeding and not to let mums just bypass giving a go.

That's just my thoughts on why they may do it - don't attack me for it. These aren't necesssarily my thoughts on the situation, just the NHS's.

Thats awful and not the right way to go about encouraging breastfeeding :(

i do agree that FF stuff should be kept out of sight,and i'm sure they would have taken her formula when she was still catherterised ..
however FF or not hospitals encourage women to get up and move as it helps to disperse trapped air and gets things working again as well as helping discourage DVT etc

both my babies were sent to the NICU after birth and i was up and about 12 hours after both. it was bloody painful,but what major surgery isnt?i was expected to fetch my own food fromn the dinner trolley once catheter was removed,isn't that just the same?

if it was a large distance she had to walk and she didnt feel able to do it she should of requested a porter,or kicked up fuss until she got one...my experience with the NHS is sadly .. if you want it.. you have to SHOUT for it!

hi everyone:flower:,

yesterday i went to visit my cousin and new LO in hospital, she had him the day before last :happydance:. he is absolutly gorgeous:cloud9:.
she had a rough labour and had to have a last min. emergency csection.
she also needs to have her gall bladder out as soon as :nope:

she really wanted to breast feed but was unable to (im not sure why, but i think it had somthing to do with the medication she is on :shrug:).

yesterday when we were seeing her, the baby was crying and needed feeding. i was so shocked when she told me that to encourage breast feeding there, they moved all the steralising and things needed for formula feeding to the other ward(which is a long walk away from her ward) to put them off bottle feeding. so she had to waddle in pain down to the other ward to make it (shes not just in pain from the c-section but from her gall bladder aswell). the midwife refused to help as she said she needs to get used to it! i was so shocked:growlmad:.

its a mothers choice how she chooses to feed her baby, but it made me feel that the hospital were kind of discriminating against mothers who choose not to or unable to breast feed in order to make them feel bad.:growlmad:

did you expereince this in hospital when you all had your LO's ?

:flower:

I had an emergency c section and was breatfeeding my son,. didnt get any help and I pissed the because they refused to help me up to even go to the loo and I couldnt even manage to get my son to his crib to get up for loo. I couldnt even change his nappy I was so sore and my other half stayed till 11pm! I am glad I didnt choose to formula feed after all as I wasnt fit to make it up it was so much handier to just breastfeed him. So I got the opposite. I dont know if it was meds your friend was on but in her situation perhaps that would have been easier also. whats wrong with encouraging breastfeeding ? with her I mean , Plenty of woman have done it after c sections.
They usually go around wards with the formula here mums dont have to go and get it. Perhaps this hospital was totally for breastfeeding where as Mine handed it out. Even I got asked several times when breastfeeding did I want some and was I sure I didnt want some.

I do believe mums make decisions for whats best for baby and breastfeeding is best for baby,. And yes I know sometimes not always for mum before any one says that.

I don't care one way or the other about keeping things out of sight- at my hospital (and every one I've ever been to) everything is kept "out of sight" anyway, either at the nurse's station or in cabinets in drawers for the sake of neatness (and theft prevention probably). I do agree with promoting and encouraging BF as well; but I find this situation absolutely outrageous. Not for BF/FF reasons either.

It may be good for you to walk around after surgery, but a patient should never be ignored, pushed into further pain and potential injury, or forced to fend for themselves. Ever. This story parallels Dragonfly's horrible hospital experience; that sort of treatment needs to be stopped, for all patients! :nope:

Well I was bfing right after her birth but know that if you were planning to bottle feed you had to bring all your own equipment and I assume would probably have to make up bottles by yourself, they had a little room for that sort of thing. Not sure if it would be different if you had had a section.

yesterday i went to visit my cousin and new LO in hospital, she had him the day before last :happydance:. he is absolutly gorgeous:cloud9:.

she really wanted to breast feed but was unable to (im not sure why, but i think it had somthing to do with the medication she is on :shrug:).

yesterday when we were seeing her, the baby was crying and needed feeding. i was so shocked when she told me that to encourage breast feeding there, they moved all the steralising and things needed for formula feeding to the other ward(which is a long walk away from her ward) to put them off bottle feeding. so she had to waddle in pain down to the other ward to make it (shes not just in pain from the c-section but from her gall bladder aswell). the midwife refused to help as she said she needs to get used to it! i was so shocked:growlmad:.

its a mothers choice how she chooses to feed her baby, but it made me feel that the hospital were kind of discriminating against mothers who choose not to or unable to breast feed in order to make them feel bad.:growlmad:

I think that considering your cousin asked for help the midwife's response was disgusting.

If someone is determined to formula feed (altho i know your cousin actually couldn't) then moving equipment they need further away or hiding it behind a curtain isn't really going to make much difference anyway in my opinion.

how long will she be in for - is it worth you or someone getting a starter pack with the bottles teat etc already in from boots?

congrats on the new baby in your family too:happydance:

I think that considering your cousin asked for help the midwife's response was disgusting.

If someone is determined to formula feed (altho i know your cousin actually couldn't) then moving equipment they need further away or hiding it behind a curtain isn't really going to make much difference anyway in my opinion.

how long will she be in for - is it worth you or someone getting a starter pack with the bottles teat etc already in from boots?

congrats on the new baby in your family too:happydance:

I don't think that is the idea behind it. It's not for the mums that have already made the decision not to. It's for the mums unsure or determined to breastfeed.

I agree with everyone that promoting breast feeding is important, and I'm all for it. I very much admire (and am admittedly jealous of) breast feeding moms.
But I do not think what that hospital is doing is promoting and encouraging breastfeeding. Maybe that is what their intentions are, but I think all they are accomplishing by doing that is making FF mothers feel like they are doing something wrong.

It may be good for you to walk around after surgery, but a patient should never be ignored, pushed into further pain and potential injury, or forced to fend for themselves. Ever. This story parallels Dragonfly's horrible hospital experience; that sort of treatment needs to be stopped, for all patients! :nope:

I think thats more the problem with this is that she wasnt helped. Its rather humiliating pissing the bed and further to that I had to clean it up and change the sheets, I couldnt even breath right. Never forget that midwife refusing to take william so I could at least try and get up. I left early as I would have been safer at home and I was I had round the clock help from other half.

i do agree that the issue here is not about the supposed promotion of BF,more about the fact the MW neglected her role!

I must admit i didn't think you had to 'make up' bottles in hospitals anymore,as all my local hospitals provide the ready made bottles with teats for women who need them when they didn't expect to.

it's swings and roundabouts with the NHS!

There were no bottles or formula available at all in the birth centre I was in.

I think thats more the problem with this is that she wasnt helped. Its rather humiliating pissing the bed and further to that I had to clean it up and change the sheets, I couldnt even breath right. Never forget that midwife refusing to take william so I could at least try and get up. I left early as I would have been safer at home and I was I had round the clock help from other half.

Now that is awful imo, they are there to clean up after the patients!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->