has this happened to you, when you had your LO's?

My son could NOT breastfeed due to his fractures, and I needed to rent a hospital grade breastpump, so I had to drive there myself and pull out a Visa (it cost $200+ just for all the new accessories + $3-4/day). Luckily, my OH was available to do that. What if I was a single mother? Having those options available at the hospital for me would have been a good way to assist BF mothers that struggle. Just a thought :)

In all four of the hospitals I have had my babies in there were breast pumps to borrow available for all mothers.

Sorry for what you went through :hugs:

gosh that has really shocked me, thats completely out of order.

I stayed in the ward for 3 nights but had my own room right outside the bay so they could keep an eye on me. Never had a problem with any of them they were all lovely! just had to buzz and they would bring me 3 of the glass feeds in advance so i didnt have to keep buzzing, even would feed him for me through the night! I feel so lucky to have received such good care i was never made to feel bad for not BF. I had a huge problem with one old midwife she was awful! I'd given LO to my aunty to hold while i got off the bed as it was such a hassel i had to use 2 hands to get up (i had an episitomy) so my aunty took him over and started getting him undressed while i got up and she came in and said 'shouldnt you be doing that!' she sharp got told :lol:

I would urge her to complain as thats completely unacceptable it would take the midwife 2 mins to pop along and get a bottle!

It may be good for you to walk around after surgery, but a patient should never be ignored, pushed into further pain and potential injury, or forced to fend for themselves. Ever. This story parallels Dragonfly's horrible hospital experience; that sort of treatment needs to be stopped, for all patients! :nope:

I think thats more the problem with this is that she wasnt helped. Its rather humiliating pissing the bed and further to that I had to clean it up and change the sheets, I couldnt even breath right. Never forget that midwife refusing to take william so I could at least try and get up. I left early as I would have been safer at home and I was I had round the clock help from other half.
Thats shocking, i must have bled through to my sheets without noticing :dohh: (was in a total zombie haze) and a lovely MW came and was like "Would you like me to change your sheets love?" helped me out the bed and everything

you had to bring your own formula to the birthing centre i went to too, as far as i'm aware x

tbh i think that's how hospitals should be... why should FF mums get free formula? they didnt give me free breast pads!lol
:dohh: Because when you go into labour unexpectedly, fully intending to BF, the last thing on your mind is going to buy some formula, just so it can be 'fair' on those who actually succeed in BFing.

Some of the attitudes on this thread are awful, and unsurprisingly all from mothers who seem to have had no problems BFing :coffee:

i never once said it was ok for the hospital to make the poor woman walk far for formula,she should have put her foot down and demanded it be brought to her or asked for a porter!YES she shouldn't have to scream and shout but sometimes that's just the way things are in some hospitals!

I still stand by the thought that formula should be kept out of sight,it would be counter productive to have it in everyones face when the Government is trying to increase BF rates!

Also would like to correct you on the 'no problems BF' front!

With my first i had induction drip,laboured for 24 hours then had an emergency section,my wound had a bleed behind it and exploded on several occassions,my son was jaundiced,tired and on NICU for two days,we struggled and struggled to feed,and i ALMOST gave up,but after finding a BF helpline i managed to carry on,we had an advisor visit us and never looked back..With my second i had him 8 weeks early,emergency c-section due to breech presentation,he was on NICU for two weeks during which time i had to express two hourly day and night he was also in a hospital 40 min drive away!He has since had a slow weight gain and we have only just (at 5 months) solverd his feeding issues ,which are tongue tie (now snipped) and silent reflux!
BF has in no way been all sunshine and roses for us so perhaps you shouldn't be so presumptious in future!

My point regarding free Formula is directed at Mum's who go in expecting it when they plan on FF,not the 'emergency bottle' that mums who want to BF then change their minds need.

My local hospitals stock two different kinds of ready made formula in the bottles with disposable teats.. if they spent the same amount on BF support as they did formula then there would be a lot less need for those 'emergency bottles'

Want to add also that it is a common misconception that baby needs to feed right after birth,full term,healthy babies come with a 'lunchbox' and can go 48 hours without a feed.. indeed some babies don't even ASK to be fed for a good 12/18 hours after birth!

It may be good for you to walk around after surgery, but a patient should never be ignored, pushed into further pain and potential injury, or forced to fend for themselves. Ever. This story parallels Dragonfly's horrible hospital experience; that sort of treatment needs to be stopped, for all patients! :nope:

I think thats more the problem with this is that she wasnt helped. Its rather humiliating pissing the bed and further to that I had to clean it up and change the sheets, I couldnt even breath right. Never forget that midwife refusing to take william so I could at least try and get up. I left early as I would have been safer at home and I was I had round the clock help from other half.
Thats shocking, i must have bled through to my sheets without noticing :dohh: (was in a total zombie haze) and a lovely MW came and was like "Would you like me to change your sheets love?" helped me out the bed and everything

you had to bring your own formula to the birthing centre i went to too, as far as i'm aware x

tbh i think that's how hospitals should be... why should FF mums get free formula? they didnt give me free breast pads!lol
:dohh: Because when you go into labour unexpectedly, fully intending to BF, the last thing on your mind is going to buy some formula, just so it can be 'fair' on those who actually succeed in BFing.

Some of the attitudes on this thread are awful, and unsurprisingly all from mothers who seem to have had no problems BFing :coffee:

i never once said it was ok for the hospital to make the poor woman walk far for formula,she should have put her foot down and demanded it be brought to her or asked for a porter!YES she shouldn't have to scream and shout but sometimes that's just the way things are in some hospitals!

I still stand by the thought that formula should be kept out of sight,it would be counter productive to have it in everyones face when the Government is trying to increase BF rates!

Also would like to correct you on the 'no problems BF' front!

With my first i had induction drip,laboured for 24 hours then had an emergency section,my wound had a bleed behind it and exploded on several occassions,my son was jaundiced,tired and on NICU for two days,we struggled and struggled to feed,and i ALMOST gave up,but after finding a BF helpline i managed to carry on,we had an advisor visit us and never looked back..With my second i had him 8 weeks early,emergency c-section due to breech presentation,he was on NICU for two weeks during which time i had to express two hourly day and night he was also in a hospital 40 min drive away!He has since had a slow weight gain and we have only just (at 5 months) solverd his feeding issues ,which are tongue tie (now snipped) and silent reflux!
BF has in no way been all sunshine and roses for us so perhaps you shouldn't be so presumptious in future!

My point regarding free Formula is directed at Mum's who go in expecting it when they plan on FF,not the 'emergency bottle' that mums who want to BF then change their minds need.

My local hospitals stock two different kinds of ready made formula in the bottles with disposable teats.. if they spent the same amount on BF support as they did formula then there would be a lot less need for those 'emergency bottles'

Want to add also that it is a common misconception that baby needs to feed right after birth,full term,healthy babies come with a 'lunchbox' and can go 48 hours without a feed.. indeed some babies don't even ASK to be fed for a good 12/18 hours after birth!

Well said :thumbup:

My son could NOT breastfeed due to his fractures, and I needed to rent a hospital grade breastpump, so I had to drive there myself and pull out a Visa (it cost $200+ just for all the new accessories + $3-4/day). Luckily, my OH was available to do that. What if I was a single mother? Having those options available at the hospital for me would have been a good way to assist BF mothers that struggle. Just a thought :)

In all four of the hospitals I have had my babies in there were breast pumps to borrow available for all mothers.

Sorry for what you went through :hugs:

That's fantastic :hugs: I guess my hospital was one of the exceptions :nope:

if they spent the same amount on BF support as they did formula then there would be a lot less need for those 'emergency bottles'

Not true in every case. I got fantastic BF support both in the hospital and outside and LO still wouldn't latch on. I also had my Mum with me for support (as she BF my sister for a year) and she also couldn't get LO to latch. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much support you get, the baby simply will not latch.

Also my LO was hoarse and dehydrated about 16 hours after the birth so he did need formula and I am glad it was there.

Urgh.. How did I know this thread would turn sour!?

It's always the same people too.

I can't believe that some people even seem to be either questioning what meds could have stopped OP's cousin from BF or trying to "out do" her on the circumstance front.

The treatment OP's cousin received was neglectful and out of order.

if they spent the same amount on BF support as they did formula then there would be a lot less need for those 'emergency bottles'

Not true in every case. I got fantastic BF support both in the hospital and outside and LO still wouldn't latch on. I also had my Mum with me for support (as she BF my sister for a year) and she also couldn't get LO to latch. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much support you get, the baby simply will not latch.

Also my LO was hoarse and dehydrated about 16 hours after the birth so he did need formula and I am glad it was there.

i didn't say it was for every case,if i meant every case i would have said that extra support would erradicate the need for formula in hospitals!

sometimes BF doesn't work,and for those cases it is important that alternatives are available (pumps,bottles etc):flower:

i didn't say it was for every case,if i meant every case i would have said that extra support would erradicate the need for formula in hospitals!

sometimes BF doesn't work,and for those cases it is important that alternatives are available (pumps,bottles etc):flower:

I was just giving an example of where extra support didn't work. It's just a shame that the support I got doesn't extend to the rest of the UK.

I really agree with that. Nobody suggested a pump to me when I was struggling (because they didn't realize the extent of baby's injuries) and I really wish we had started off on the right foot with that rather than me struggle to try and pump alone at home (lactation consultants at hospital also didn't return my calls). Sometimes people just drop the ball even if the support is meant to be there :(

Urgh.. How did I know this thread would turn sour!?

It's always the same people too.

I can't believe that some people even seem to be either questioning what meds could have stopped OP's cousin from BF or trying to "out do" her on the circumstance front.

The treatment OP's cousin received was neglectful and out of order.

I definitely agree that it was out of order as I had a c-section myself and know how awful it is to have to get up and walk so much as I was made to at my hospital, but I still think that while BF rates are so low in my country at least something has to give, even if it's keeping FF equipment out of sight but still available at the hospital for mothers who choose not to/cannot BF.
If it helps even one undecided mother to decide that BF is for her then how can I not support keeping FF equipment out of sight but still there if it is needed? I had a lot of trouble starting off with BF myself-- I was milked for colostrum, LO was syringe fed for the first few days even when I had ample milk, I had cracked bleeding nipples and a huge oversupply that took ages to settle so I too felt like giving in in the first few weeks like probably a lot of mothers who suffered pain and trouble with BFing. However if FF equipment had been in sight for me at the hospital I would have taken it and would definitely be regretting it now as I went on to BF for 11 months. Sometimes mums just need that little extra incentive and it was keeping FF equipment out of sight for me that pushed me that much harder to succeed while still hospitalized.
As I said the treatment of the OP's cousin was disgusting but all hospitals are different and that one sounds appalling. Forcing people is not the way to go and if FF is chosen then equipment should be available :flower:

The 'out of sight' thing just doesnt wash with me. Undecided, struggling mothers still know formula EXISTS, its not like seeing it will make them think ooooo formula and blindly trot off behind it and abandon all hope of BF. If they are struggling/undecided and tempted to try it, they are tempted to try it whether or not it is 'shoved in their face'.

I don't agree with the 'out of sight' thing either, for gods sake its formula not vodka!

The 'out of sight' thing just doesnt wash with me. Undecided, struggling mothers still know formula EXISTS, its not like seeing it will make them think ooooo formula and blindly trot off behind it and abandon all hope of BF. If they are struggling/undecided and tempted to try it, they are tempted to try it whether or not it is 'shoved in their face'.

I agree with this!! :thumbup:

I knew it existed obviously. But having it made that bit harder to access was what made the difference for me and maybe a lot of other mums who were undecided/having a lot of trouble BF. I was one of those mums thinking 'ooooo formula' in the hospital and like I said had it been right in front of me I would not have had the willpower to keep on BF. I would have caved because it was right there and so easy to turn to. Sometimes 'out of sight, out of mind' can work and for me in that instance it did. Sure I'm not the only one out there either
But as you said for some mothers it might not be a question of whether it is out of sight or not, they still know it's there wherever it is and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
I guess all I'm saying I am glad I didn't have the option 'shoved in my face' as it would have changed my mind. That is just me though and one of the reasons why they put FF equipment out of sight-- to encourage struggling mums who don't have very good willpower like me if it's right there, and also to give undecided mums the best chance at giving BF a go without feeling swayed by another choice being in front of them that might appear easier/a better option when it may not be at all, but they just didn't give BF enough of a chance to work for them. (Just to be clear I mean no offense to mums who FF from the start or couldn't FF-- I'm only talking about mums who could go either way but just need that little bit of encouragment to BF.) :flower:

hi everyone:flower:,

yesterday i went to visit my cousin and new LO in hospital, she had him the day before last :happydance:. he is absolutly gorgeous:cloud9:.
she had a rough labour and had to have a last min. emergency csection.
she also needs to have her gall bladder out as soon as :nope:

she really wanted to breast feed but was unable to (im not sure why, but i think it had somthing to do with the medication she is on :shrug:).

yesterday when we were seeing her, the baby was crying and needed feeding. i was so shocked when she told me that to encourage breast feeding there, they moved all the steralising and things needed for formula feeding to the other ward(which is a long walk away from her ward) to put them off bottle feeding. so she had to waddle in pain down to the other ward to make it (shes not just in pain from the c-section but from her gall bladder aswell). the midwife refused to help as she said she needs to get used to it! i was so shocked:growlmad:.

its a mothers choice how she chooses to feed her baby, but it made me feel that the hospital were kind of discriminating against mothers who choose not to or unable to breast feed in order to make them feel bad.:growlmad:

did you expereince this in hospital when you all had your LO's ?

:flower:

I would have whipped out my boob and offered to help!! :rofl:

I knew it existed obviously. But having it made that bit harder to access was what made the difference for me and maybe a lot of other mums who were undecided/having a lot of trouble BF. I was one of those mums thinking 'ooooo formula' in the hospital and like I said had it been right in front of me I would not have had the willpower to keep on BF. I would have caved because it was right there and so easy to turn to. Sometimes 'out of sight, out of mind' can work and for me in that instance it did. Sure I'm not the only one out there either
But as you said for some mothers it might not be a question of whether it is out of sight or not, they still know it's there wherever it is and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
I guess all I'm saying I am glad I didn't have the option 'shoved in my face' as it would have changed my mind. That is just me though and one of the reasons why they put FF equipment out of sight-- to encourage struggling mums who don't have very good willpower like me if it's right there, and also to give undecided mums the best chance at giving BF a go without feeling swayed by another choice being in front of them that might appear easier/a better option when it may not be at all, but they just didn't give BF enough of a chance to work for them. (Just to be clear I mean no offense to mums who FF from the start or couldn't FF-- I'm only talking about mums who could go either way but just need that little bit of encouragment to BF.) :flower:

It worked for me as well. The hospital I was in didn't actually have formula or anything to go with it, as they reminded everyone constantly in the prenatal parenting group and posters around every corner of the hospital! That wasn't an issue though.
When I got home with LO the first few days were so SO hard I fully believe 100% that if I had formula in the house I would have switched to it. Breastfeeding was so extremely difficult and painful and I was just so tired. I knew I was capable though and even though OH asked if I wanted him to get some from the store I always said no! The temptation really is strong when BFing is so hard, and not having the option to use formula makes a huge difference.
That said, even BFing in the hospital isn't always easy. I hardly got any help on how to do it, I didn't have a clue! Ended up being awake all night after already being awake for 2 days because she wouldn't stop crying because no one told me she can be hungry every 5 minutes!

It worked for me as well. The hospital I was in didn't actually have formula or anything to go with it, as they reminded everyone constantly in the prenatal parenting group and posters around every corner of the hospital! That wasn't an issue though.
When I got home with LO the first few days were so SO hard I fully believe 100% that if I had formula in the house I would have switched to it. Breastfeeding was so extremely difficult and painful and I was just so tired. I knew I was capable though and even though OH asked if I wanted him to get some from the store I always said no! The temptation really is strong when BFing is so hard, and not having the option to use formula makes a huge difference.
That said, even BFing in the hospital isn't always easy. I hardly got any help on how to do it, I didn't have a clue! Ended up being awake all night after already being awake for 2 days because she wouldn't stop crying because no one told me she can be hungry every 5 minutes!

My midwives were all different--some were very forceful, grabbing at my boob and shoving LO's face onto it, or just milking me if that didn't work and feeding him through a syringe and made me feel stupid for not knowing how to get him to latch on naturally (well if they couldn't and I was a first time mum and they've seen it all before so many times, what does that say for them that they couldn't get my LO to do it? :dohh:)
Then I had the m/w's that were very gentle and spent ages sitting there with me until we got a latch, and didn't leave marks on my boobs from being so rough with them :shock:
But none of them offered me formula and if they had I would have done it in an instant because I was so sore and so tired of being treated like a bloody cow-- hormones probably didn't help either looking back, I had a bad case of the baby blues and felt useless enough as it was.
So for me not having FF stuff right there was the part that made me grit my teeth and just keep trying until I got there BFing. If I couldn't see it, it wasn't entering my mind every time I failed to latch LO and bawled my eyes out-- or it certainly would have been the first thing I turned to if it was right there, and he would have been FF before we were even out the doors.

I do agree that breastfeeding is great for babies. Butbto make a mother in pain walk to another ward to get formula is disgusting. Yes after a c-sec it is good to get moving but using pain as a deterant from accessing formula etc sickens me. Nurses, MW's, doctors etc are there to look after the people in there care. To ensure they care for their holistic needs. Yes they should encourage to bf if possible but to put a mothers physical and mental well-being risk in order to achieve this isn't the way to do it. It gets womens backs up, effects them emotionally and physically. Can someone please explain to me how the hospital is carrying out their duty of care? The baby isn't being fed and the mother is in pain. Where is the support? Where is the encoragrment to get her to walk I.e. Assisted walk. Until she isn't scared of the pain? Where is the empathy and compassion? I see none and that is NOT what nursing/midwifery etc is about!!
X

BF shouldn't be hidden away

FF shouldn't be hidden away

the decision to BF should be supported as should the decision to FF should be

How hard is that??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member