has this happened to you, when you had your LO's?

This is the exact same as the hospital I was at with my youngest. I was taken to the high dependency bay which was a six bed bay, and there were women (also on the high dependency bit) crying because they were trying to get down to the sterilising room which was at the opposite end of the long corridor. These women were less than two hours after sections, and still had their catheta's in etc, it was horrible to watch.

They do have a policy of being up and about quickly (within six hours), cos it is good for you, which is fine for some like me but others just couldnt.

I was BF and they were awful to me, she latched well the first couple of times, but about 4am the next morning she wouldnt, I was exhausted and asking for help, the mw was screaming at me that I have flat nipples so it was always going to be hard. I tried for four hours, and in the end asked for a bottle, to be told they didnt have them, so my husband went and got the SMA prefilled ones from Boots, but wasnt allowed in until visiting times (10am) by which time it was six hours from when she started crying so we had six hours of screaming/dozing off for five minutes/screaming again. I gave her the bottle, we both slept for a few hours, woke up and we BF perfectly, just tiredness and lack of support for us both I guess.

That is absolutely shocking. I've can't remember the last time I was as shocked as I am reading this thread. :hugs: to the OP's cousin, I'd deffo put a complaint in.

When I was in hosp I was asked ''Formula or Breast'' . I said ''Formula'' and that was that. The bottles were brought to me. The other 3 women the room with me were all BF but tbh even they were kinda just left to do their own things. When they buzzed for assistance it took at LEAST 20 mins for a MW to come. I'll never forget that at about 4am one of the women buzzed because they were having problems (latching maybe). So anyway, she buzzed and buzzed and nobody came. Eventually after buzzing for 30 minutes with a screaming baby a MW came and the woman asked for help. Well, the MW sighed and huffed '' I do have other things to do you know!''

No wonder many people don't BF! The lack of support, that I saw, was appalling. xx

The lack of support in this country is absolutely dreadful and appauling. I can't wait to start going into the wards and helping Mum's and babies. It really does not come easily for some, and it's a skill to be learnt. It really is. Mum and baby have to learn together.

Unfortunately, breastfeeding training isn't really something midwives are trained up on, so they rely on volunteers and consultants to come in and help.

It really is in those first hours and days where mums need the most help to build a successful breastfeeding relationship. Those first few hours and days are crucial and so many mum shave been failed and ARE being failed with regards to that. With more support and encouragement i believe so many more mums will continue and learn to breastfeed.

It may be good for you to walk around after surgery, but a patient should never be ignored, pushed into further pain and potential injury, or forced to fend for themselves. Ever. This story parallels Dragonfly's horrible hospital experience; that sort of treatment needs to be stopped, for all patients! :nope:

I think thats more the problem with this is that she wasnt helped. Its rather humiliating pissing the bed and further to that I had to clean it up and change the sheets, I couldnt even breath right. Never forget that midwife refusing to take william so I could at least try and get up. I left early as I would have been safer at home and I was I had round the clock help from other half.
Thats shocking, i must have bled through to my sheets without noticing :dohh: (was in a total zombie haze) and a lovely MW came and was like "Would you like me to change your sheets love?" helped me out the bed and everything

you had to bring your own formula to the birthing centre i went to too, as far as i'm aware x

tbh i think that's how hospitals should be... why should FF mums get free formula? they didnt give me free breast pads!lol
:dohh: Because when you go into labour unexpectedly, fully intending to BF, the last thing on your mind is going to buy some formula, just so it can be 'fair' on those who actually succeed in BFing.

Some of the attitudes on this thread are awful, and unsurprisingly all from mothers who seem to have had no problems BFing :coffee:

Some of these are horrible treatment :(

I had my babies at Princess Annes where One Born Every Min was filmed, I honestly have no complaints. I didnt BF my daughter and I was still given lots of attention to make sure I was ok x

I had to double check your area - my best friend had her baby in a Surrey hospital - emergency section after baby being in distress and they were b*****s to her as well - exact same thing, reluctant to give her a bottle to feed baby - even though it was a service they provided (little glass bottles), kept trying and trying to push the breastfeeding even though in her birth plan she was sure she didn't want to.
They wouldn't listen, answer her buzzer thingy because she kept asking for them to fetch a feed for LO.
Her OH just bought cartons in every day until she got out with a thermos because nobody ever came back.
On the day they were discharged they needed to quickly warm a feed - they had kept them waiting over an hour longer and LO needed a bottle so she asked the discharge nurse (is it a nurse? cant remember) and she led her OH to the KITCHEN where bottles could be made up, provided and put in the fridge.
It wasn't even far away.
How disgusting.

More education and support i suppose and better ways of getting information to people, so that when they get to that point in the hospital they know what they are going to say when they are asked 'how are you feeding?'..and then let people get on with their choice, FF is never going to dissappear no matter how far away they shove it!

I do think that if FF mums get things free so should BF mums, or noone should have freebies (apart from cases where formula is needed for medical reasons)

How can you give someone free breastmilk? Its already free!! :dohh: Whats the alternative to free formula?

More education and support i suppose and better ways of getting information to people, so that when they get to that point in the hospital they know what they are going to say when they are asked 'how are you feeding?'..and then let people get on with their choice, FF is never going to dissappear no matter how far away they shove it!

I do think that if FF mums get things free so should BF mums, or noone should have freebies (apart from cases where formula is needed for medical reasons)

How can you give someone free breastmilk? Its already free!! :dohh: Whats the alternative to free formula?

free one on one support on how to BF?

Lol - that's true! I don't think the amount of formula a baby gets over a 2 day period costs a whole lot anyway??? As someone else said, if you are determined to BF then the last thing you will be thinking of is to bring a tin of formula into the hospital with you.

But thats what midwives should be there for, they should be at least somewhat trained to help mother feed their babies regardless of how they choose to feed them. Where i gave birth the midwives were on hand to help with feeding and all sorts, a midwife spent a good 20minutes with this nice lady i got talking to, she was having trouble BF'ing her LO, i too had trouble FF mine as he was jaundiced with low blood sugar, again she spent a while getting him to feed. Just goes to show all hospitals are different i suppose,.

Lol - that's true! I don't think the amount of formula a baby gets over a 2 day period costs a whole lot anyway??? As someone else said, if you are determined to BF then the last thing you will be thinking of is to bring a tin of formula into the hospital with you.

:haha: I remember taking 8 cartons in with me! We used around 2 in the space of 2 days lol

I got that every day for 10 days after my LO was born and he still wouldn't latch on. Some babies just don't. I think its a great idea and everyone should get it but we also need to remember that some babies will not BF. It's not anyone's fault; its just the way it is.

I got that every day for 10 days after my LO was born and he still wouldn't latch on. Some babies just don't. I think its a great idea and everyone should get it but we also need to remember that some babies will not BF. It's not anyone's fault; its just the way it is.

I wasnt judging :flower: River is FF.

All i was saying is yes FF mums get free milk yes but BF do get alot more support to feed which does cost money.

I was just given bottles and got on with it but when i was expressing and trying to BF i had the nurses sole attention.

So its not like FF are getting something BF arnt in terms of monetary value.

I wasnt judging :flower: River is FF.

All i was saying is yes FF mums get free milk yes but BF do get alot more support to feed which does cost money.

I was just given bottles and got on with it but when i was expressing and trying to BF i had the nurses sole attention.

So its not like FF are getting something BF arnt in terms of monetary value.

I know you weren't :flower:

It was a general reply I was doing, not just addressed to you
And I totally agree with everything that you are saying :hugs:

info, support, breast pads etc..the cost of formula that the average person uses in hospital could give a bf mom something usefull too.. im not getting on the bf'ing bandwagon its a bloody minefield trying to give personal thoughts on that subject, i FF but i still think it should be equal thats all

It may be good for you to walk around after surgery, but a patient should never be ignored, pushed into further pain and potential injury, or forced to fend for themselves. Ever. This story parallels Dragonfly's horrible hospital experience; that sort of treatment needs to be stopped, for all patients! :nope:

I think thats more the problem with this is that she wasnt helped. Its rather humiliating pissing the bed and further to that I had to clean it up and change the sheets, I couldnt even breath right. Never forget that midwife refusing to take william so I could at least try and get up. I left early as I would have been safer at home and I was I had round the clock help from other half.
Thats shocking, i must have bled through to my sheets without noticing :dohh: (was in a total zombie haze) and a lovely MW came and was like "Would you like me to change your sheets love?" helped me out the bed and everything

you had to bring your own formula to the birthing centre i went to too, as far as i'm aware x

tbh i think that's how hospitals should be... why should FF mums get free formula? they didnt give me free breast pads!lol
:dohh: Because when you go into labour unexpectedly, fully intending to BF, the last thing on your mind is going to buy some formula, just so it can be 'fair' on those who actually succeed in BFing.

Some of the attitudes on this thread are awful, and unsurprisingly all from mothers who seem to have had no problems BFing :coffee:

Can i ask what attitudes and who you are referring to? :flower:

My son could NOT breastfeed due to his fractures, and I needed to rent a hospital grade breastpump, so I had to drive there myself and pull out a Visa (it cost $200+ just for all the new accessories + $3-4/day). Luckily, my OH was available to do that. What if I was a single mother? Having those options available at the hospital for me would have been a good way to assist BF mothers that struggle. Just a thought :)

To the OP, absolutely not! Its disgusting that is. If that would have happened to me, I would have discharged myself, pain or no pain.

BF was hard initially, I agree that had formula been more readily available in hospital I would have probably had some. 2nd night in hospital Isla was screaming unless she was sucking, my milk hadn't come in. the mw did not suggest formula but to let her suck as long as she wants. I was soooooo tired after long difficult labour all I wanted was sleep, but I'm glad I persevered with bf. I think once you've started giving formula it is so much easier to carry on with that rather than bf. That aside, women who are in severe pain and can barely walk should get the assistance they need to feed their baby, especially if they cannot bf for medical reason. seems very coldhearted to me.

But perhaps some mothers, like me wanted to breastfeed and therefore did not feel the need to take in FF.However, i had an emergency c section and struggled to BF.I felt like i was left on my own, in pain and alone with no clue how to care for my baby.I couldn't BF and needed FF but the midwives were not helpful.I did not know where it was kept or what i should be doing.Therefore i needed to use their milk-if they had not provided it he wouldn't have eaten. I think it is very wrong and next time i'll be taking my own supply

Can i ask what attitudes and who you are referring to? :flower:[/QUOTE]
The attitudes that imply its perfectly fair for formula to be kept out of sight, and in this case much further away and more inconvenient to get to than BF equipment, because everyone in the world should BF and if they cant/dont want to they should receive worse treatment. Some people CHOOSE to FF from birth. And who are any of us to say thats wrong or push BF upon people? It is a choice after all :shrug:

I was given alot of support with BF but i just couldnt do it, I dont have a clue where the formula was kept because they brought it to me because I was numb from a spinal block so its nothing to do with my circumstances I just think its shocking some people actually think its ok to be so blatantly discriminatory and disrespectful to people who FF, for whatever reason. Everyone should receive the same level of care after having just had a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->