Has Vitex ever caused problems for anyone?

littlegirl87

Mother of 1 little girl
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been doing a little research and I started taking vitex last cycle as I have read a lot of good things about it and thought it would be very helpful to me as I have had irregular cycles and such in the past. But recently I have read a few things saying that it could actually mess up your cycles and crazy things like that?

I was just wondering if anyone has any stories about vitex actually hurting their chances instead of helping?

Thanks!

:dust: to all!

What specifically have you read hun? Some women get some unpleasant symptoms for sure. As far as making a cycle more irregular there is always a chance that of there are underlying issues that vitex cannot help. It is an adrenal axis regulator so it isn't designed to disrupt a natural hormonal flow. I have read about women on here that it didn't work for for sure and that's expected. I have rarely read about women who can say that vitex in specific caused their cycles to get worse although I'm sure there might be a few out there. I think if you were to read up on some of the placebo studies you might feel better as the majority of women benefit from it and not the other way around. Nothing is a guarantee or we'd all sign up immediately right lol? Give it 3 cycles and see how it works for you and if you don't like the results at least you gave it a go. For the record my vitex baby is due this month :thumbup:

I am on my second cycle of taking it and I feel fine...I did notice my temps pre O seem to be a 10th or 2 higher than they ran before I started vitex, but then again my post O temps were higher than before last cycle as well so maybe that is just it regulating my hormones! It isn't causing me any issues, but I have read where it caused women to stop having a period and such and clearly I don't want that since I am trying to get pregnant lol, but so far it seems to be helpful!

I can't speak personally for vitex preventing af although it did lengthen my lp therefore what would have seemed "late" for me but I wanted my lp longer so that was a positive for me :thumbup: Maybe someone else wil chime in if they felt it stopped af from coming...I haven't heard of vitex in specific being the definitive cause of such a thing but there must be someone out there who feels it had that effect? :shrug:

Pandi, when you took chasteberry/vitex while TTC, did you hold off after O was confirmed?

Well I personally think it is helping me, but then again my cycles were so messed up before I just didn't want to mess them up anymore! I go to the dr on the 10th so I will ask him, but I have heard that a lot of them don't really know anything about it?...as long as I keep ovulating and such I wont worry about it! lol but thank you for all of the info! Hope it helps me get a :bfp: as well!

I looove my vitex! My cycles ranged from 26-42 days and I was ovulating all over the place. My first month on vitex, I had a very short luteal phase (I believe 8 days or so). So that was a bit of a shock, but I stuck with it. Then, I started ovulating on CD 14/15 (every cycle) and my luteal phase went from 12 days to 15-16. I found it much easier to plan BDing because I knew which days I would ovulate. I'm 5 weeks pregnant now and continuing with vitex until I'm out of 1st trimester.

I'm sure if you stick with it you'll see some stronger benefits! Best of luck!

I looove my vitex! My cycles ranged from 26-42 days and I was ovulating all over the place. My first month on vitex, I had a very short luteal phase (I believe 8 days or so). So that was a bit of a shock, but I stuck with it. Then, I started ovulating on CD 14/15 (every cycle) and my luteal phase went from 12 days to 15-16. I found it much easier to plan BDing because I knew which days I would ovulate. I'm 5 weeks pregnant now and continuing with vitex until I'm out of 1st trimester.

Every website on vitex says to stop taking it as soon as you become pg!!!!!

I'm sure if you stick with it you'll see some stronger benefits! Best of luck!

That sounds just like me! I never had one that was as short as 26 days but I had them in the 40's all the time! Currently I have been having 30 day cycles and ovulating on CD 18 or 19. But I just started vitex last cycle so we will see what happens! it did lengthen my lp to 13 days instead of 11 so that is good!

hopefully ill end up in your situation soon! how long did you take it before you got your bfp?

Pandi, when you took chasteberry/vitex while TTC, did you hold off after O was confirmed?

No tigerlillies I took it all cycle long. I was trying to get some support for my lp as well as help some of my extreme af symptoms so my midwife said to take it all cycle long since my issues went past delayed ovulation. I had endometriosis and fibroids that would literally lay me out during af and when I started vitex it REALLY helped! It was the first month I didn't have to call out of work at least one day :dohh:

Every website on vitex says to stop taking it as soon as you become pg!!!!!

My first round of research said the same thing tigerlillies so it was very confusing. I did find research that showed the benefits of taking it through the first trimester (which is what I did) and had copied links in this forum previously...will see if I can find it. As with almost all herbal supplements they have not been researched by the FDA and so here in the US especially you'll find few medical groups willing to back up recommending anything not "approved by government research". I was so worried because it was so hard to get pregnant and I wanted to do what I could. It's a personal choice but I'm glad I continued it as my experience was a good one.

About 6 months ago and then again 4 months ago we did a poll in 1st and 2nd trimester of women who got pregnant on vitex and whether we'd continue and almost all of of us elected to take it through first tri and are either due this month or already gave birth :thumbup:

I took vitex the first time my cycles were out of whack (when ttc my daughter) and I'm back on it again now. I've heard of it messing cycles up for women who already had normal cycles, but not for those already irregular. Vitex worked wonders for me the first time making my cycle 29 days with ovulation on cd16 and a 13 day lp. I did stop taking it when I found out I was pregnant. Had I read some of the things I have since read, I would not have stopped it. It supports progesterone and it's better to wean off of it then to stop cold turkey. I'm on it again and I had 2 of my wonderful 29 day cycles and now I'm back up to 33/34 day cycles. Why this happened to me, I'm not sure, but I do not think it was the vitex. I think it has more to do with stress or my undiagnosed PCOS that I am 99% sure I have.

Anyway, yes I love my vitex and I've never had any adverse effects that I know of.

Yes I am 99% sure that vitex will only help me and not hurt! Dr's aren't sure if actually have PCOS or endometriosis like my mom but I have heard that it helps with either thing. I am also on metformin which I do think helped my cycles get down to 30 or 31 days instead of like 46 or 50...So I am hoping vitex will help it stay there or even make them a little closer to 28 or 29 but we will see! It did seem to help my lp last month go from 11 days to 13 days which cant be a bad thing!

Just fx that June is the one for me!

:dust: to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"