Has your HV supported you with BLW?

Mummy~L

Mummy to 2
Reaction score
Im going to take Bobby to the HV in a couple of weeks and talk to her about weaning so was just curious to know if your HV has supported you with BLW or if they tried to steer you down the traditional weaning route?

My HVs are supportive, their actively promoting it here over traditional weaning, the only thing is, as with most things with the HV, their interpretation of it and their information is a bit hit and miss. One if them I was speaking to hadn't read the book so
wasn't very helpful, whereas another really knew her stuff, I wasn't sure whether to change to follow on formula because you can really tell what their getting but she had some new research that's been done with BLW and formula and it's fine to stay with stage 1 milk.

I had someone come out though for a visit about weaning, are they not doing that where you are?

i went yesterday and she asked me weather i had started weaning - i just told her id given her baby rice because they can be really old fashioned! i just didnt want the lecture of this is how you are suposed to do it

i went yesterday and she asked me weather i had started weaning - i just told her id given her baby rice because they can be really old fashioned! i just didnt want the lecture of this is how you are suposed to do it

There's one like that at my clinic and now I just tell her what she wants to hear rather than letting her make me feel like I'm doing things wrong.

i know because ive read the book and can ask every1 on here questions so dont need loads of help from them

Mine had never heard of BLW, but when I explained it, she wasn't negative at all, and didn't push traditional weaning. She just (correctly) said that most babies will not be able to do an awful lot of self feeding until they are 7-8 months. She also certainly agreed that 6 month olds should be offered normal family meals.

One of the HV (the one that came out to do the weaning talk) tried her very very hardest to make me not do BLW. She said theres a massive risk of choking, she wont be able to eat because her tongue wont be able to push it to the back of her mouth, the slop stage only lasts a matter of weeks, hand blenders are only about 7quid in sainsburys blah blah blah!! I couldnt believe it, as one of the other HV said that in the future they are hoping to recommend BLW to everyone!! You'd think they'd want to be supportive of your decision, not criticise it!! xx

My HV are actively promoting BLW. They are running a workshop next on it.

Callie, that's great! Wish my HVs did. It makes so much sense to promote BLW now the weaning age is 6 months.

I've thought about BLW a lot but thats the one bit that petrifies me i think my hv will probably give me a pile of crap to guilt me into not doing it. She very much brushes me off. She seems the type that will recommend weaning LO earlier because of reflux etc

My HV has been pretty good so far. She'd never heard of it, but had heard of (and met!) Gill Rapley, and thought very highly of her. She made a note to herself to get the book and read it :)

When I saw her yesterday, she hadn't managed to get the book yet, but made some remarks about how I might have to "keep an open mind about traditional weaning", because my LO is small (tends to be on or below the 0.4centile). She said something about how I'd need to "pack the calories into her". I replied that I'd be better off doing BLW then, as her milk has more calories than any kind of baby rice or similar! I also pointed out that although my LO is small, developmentally she's doing fantastically, and she's also gaining well (8.5oz over these past 2 weeks!), so I've no reason not to try BLW.

Kudos to my HV, she just accepted that and said that she hoped to have read the book by the next time I see her, and said that if there was any additional help I needed, to just ask!

I had someone come out though for a visit about weaning, are they not doing that where you are?

:shrug: I dont know?? Not heard anything yet. Will see what they say when I next take Bobby to be weighed!

Mine haven't said much of anything about it, I've said I'm doing it and they sort of glossed over and started talking about something else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->