Have you ever wondered if you have undiagnosed autism?

catty

Reaction score
I have often wondered if maybe I have autistic tendencies and wondered if anyone else felt the same, I no it wasn't as known back when I was younger and wonder if sometimes I was missed.

I only make eye contact because I know I should it doesn't come naturally I just know I probably should to be nice

I am awkward in social circumstances and it seems to come across as humour?!?

The other things are all just small things such as I don't like giving random people any touch such as at new year when everyone kisses that stresses me out.

There's alot more but was just curious

Yes I have! Especially since I heard everyone is supposed to be somewhere on the spectrum. I also find it awkward making eye contact (with some people more than others). I don't think I am really but it has crossed my mind

Sort of, but I think most (if not all) have some autistic tendencies. I also struggle with eye contact especially in a 1:1 situation. I also feel like I quite regularly say the wrong thing.

I'm not very tactile with anyone other than my lo but I feel that's a reflection of how I was brought up. I wasn't kissed or hugged a lot.

I'm exactly the same as you described yourself, but I put it down to being very shy when I was young. I've got better as I've gotten older but still struggle, especially with large groups socially. You've got me thinking now!

Yes. My son has autism so it's def something that has crossed my mind.

I don't have it though. The struggles my son faces in certain situations are much much more extreme than anything I have ever experienced.

It's a spectrum and they say everyone is on it, however being uncomfortable with hugs and eye contact etc isn't particularly unusual. I'm not a "huggy" person but hubby's family all are so I found it hard to get into their customs of hello and goodbye hugs every time. Some of my colleagues do it too. I'm getting more comfortable now but it's still never totally natural to me. I just put it down to not being brought up in that environment plus being a bit shy. Sometimes eye contact feels a bit weird but not in most situations just some - I get uncomfortable if I've accidently caught someone's eye across the room in case they think I was staring at them lol.

Bugs me when people say, "oh sure everyone is a little autistic" Nope, no they aren't! It's insulting to say that someone who is a little socially awkward has autism because it's so much more than that.

I have thought about it before. It runs in my family. My cousin has aspergers (undiagnosed until late teens) and as children everyone compared me to her, looking back at how I was as a child I can see we had very similar behaviour despite not really being close at all.
I always thought though it was one of those things that if you could self diagnose it, you don't have it, iykwim? But either way I still have my odd little idiosyncrasies but I've grown out of most of that behaviour, so it was really just a passing thought.

eh, when i was 18 i was in a psych ward to check me out and the report came as suspicion of high functioning autism but i didnt care myself and they noticed that too so they told me that i am fine (i got offered some music therapy sessions if i wanted but declined them ). I also was at a child psych back in the early 90s and they couldnt tell whether I had it or not, and back then the opinion of the psych was "if she had it there wouldnt be anything you could do anyway" apart from providing stability. I guess I am just somewhere in the grey zone between NT and Aut. I could imagine that my bio father has it , as his executive functions are pretty craptastic(gets his flat and finances looked after by a welfare appointed lawyer, unemployed for ages, doesnt wash himself, hadnt fixed his glasses that were broken(the legs) and ended up without glasses. and that was the case last time i have seen him 10 years ago)on the other hand he has got the vast knowledge and interest in some things.

I always wonder. I literally cannot make eye contact unless i really force myself and there's a lot of people i cant tolerate. To a degree i can spend 5 minutes with someone and read the exact type of person they are too, the kinda where ill pick something up everyone swears im wrong whoever is great blah blah blah and then after a while discover I've been spot on.

Yeh i most liekly dont have it but i dont think i am very 'normal' i really dont mean that to be offensive to anyone with autism.

I remember when i did my nursing training there was a boy who ate out of a dog bowl on his kitchen floor because it was the only way they could get him to eat his dinner they said this was a red flag -- i never told them i did that too :s

I also had to have all my food separately and only ate beige food for years (chips, chicken nuggets, toast)
There was just lots of little things - when i got birthday cards i had to reinact all my birthday cards like if there was a picture onn the front i HAD to reinact it and i watched toy story every single night for more than a year.

Maybe i am just quirky.

Bugs me when people say, "oh sure everyone is a little autistic" Nope, no they aren't! It's insulting to say that someone who is a little socially awkward has autism because it's so much more than that.

It frustrates the hell out of me too. Really does. I admit I find it insulting, and it undermines what those with autism have to deal with. "Traits" of autism can often just be, well, normal behaviour. It goes a lot deeper than traits, quirks, to be autism it has to fit a criteria. It's not about being socially shy/awkward.

Yes all the time! It runs in my family & I think I have quite a few things that make me wonder but I've always just put it down to growing up with an autistic older brother who is quite high on the spectrum xx

My sister says I am like Dexter, in that I fake how I am meant to react etc. I was a VERY very quiet child up tilll about 13, very awkward. Had hearing issues so daydreamed in school as couldnt hear teacher. My mum was a flash card mum so I was reading, writing and doing math before I even started school , but thats not hard.
I do find it hard to juge peoples reactions, or what I should or shouldnt say. I have a habit of just saying totally inapporpriate stuff. I treat people as complete weirdos, or my best friend........not so good with the middle ground.
I found myself saying to the MD today about how natural youghurt is really useful.......poor man was mortified. I hadnt meant for dodgy stuff. I jsut dont think. :(

It frustrates the hell out of me too. Really does. I admit I find it insulting, and it undermines what those with autism have to deal with. "Traits" of autism can often just be, well, normal behaviour. It goes a lot deeper than traits, quirks, to be autism it has to fit a criteria. It's not about being socially shy/awkward.

This times a million!

Autism is not a cool new fad, its a struggle for all those affected.

I do hope I haven't upset/ insulted anyone. I had a placement in a MICAS base (mainstream integration for children on the autistic spectrum) and the children I worked with I really seen alot of my childhood self in them. It's not that I'm just a bit shy etc it is certain things they would tell me I definately connected with.
anyway I most likely don't have it i just wondered if others ever felt like me as you do hear of alot of people that were undiagnosed, I really do think my sister has it and she has meltdowns weekly.

Yes I have wondered this before. X

Yes and when people say 'so he has little tantrums now and then?' Really not understanding!!im happy to explain if asked but do not assume.

I do hope I haven't upset/ insulted anyone. I had a placement in a MICAS base (mainstream integration for children on the autistic spectrum) and the children I worked with I really seen alot of my childhood self in them. It's not that I'm just a bit shy etc it is certain things they would tell me I definately connected with.
anyway I most likely don't have it i just wondered if others ever felt like me as you do hear of alot of people that were undiagnosed, I really do think my sister has it and she has meltdowns weekly.

Was it you who worked at the school maths going too? In Hampshire?
I defo have significant traits but they dont disable my life so I just accept them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->