Have you ever wondered if you have undiagnosed autism?

I was diagnosed with aspergers last year (I'm 25) and it made sense of a lot of my childhood. It is a spectrum and I do think that most people can relate to a few autistic traits, but obviously it's not the same.

My area has stopepd diagnosing aspergers now. Its all just asd spectrum apparently

I do hope I haven't upset/ insulted anyone. I had a placement in a MICAS base (mainstream integration for children on the autistic spectrum) and the children I worked with I really seen alot of my childhood self in them. It's not that I'm just a bit shy etc it is certain things they would tell me I definately connected with.
anyway I most likely don't have it i just wondered if others ever felt like me as you do hear of alot of people that were undiagnosed, I really do think my sister has it and she has meltdowns weekly.

Was it you who worked at the school maths going too? In Hampshire?
I defo have significant traits but they dont disable my life so I just accept them x

No the one I was at was in Scotland, I think they have alot more of them now x

Bugs me when people say, "oh sure everyone is a little autistic" Nope, no they aren't! It's insulting to say that someone who is a little socially awkward has autism because it's so much more than that.

This! I didnt want to comment on this thread but I cant help it. Having certain temperaments doesnt mean you are autistic or slightly autistic.I have many temperaments I'm aware of, I can be social when I want to but deep inside I am not social, I have some OCDs, it doesnt make me autistic it makes me human. I learned how to fitout & be myself instead of trying to just please others & fit in. No one is perfect.

I think the word autism is used a lot those days which is not fair for families with autistic members

My son had many temperaments that are common with autistic children, he wasnt even accepted in 1 school, & another school wanted him to join a special needs class instead of normal as he wasnt feeding himself by the age of 3, was a picky eater & wasn't out of nappies. The 1st school asked for another assessment as according to them "he might be slightly autistic" , the reasons: he was obsessed with letters & numbers at the age of 3 although he passed all tests & followed instructions, but guess what he wasnt bothered with letters & numbers after a month, he started to get obsessed with trains! We took him for assessment by professionals, he saw an OT but it all came back normal, he's an above average highly sensitive child.

We found the perfect school for him, they didnt over evaluate his behaviour, they worked on his dependency & social issues, now he is a different child, very social & independent.

I have friends with autistic children, & they do feel offended when others use the word autism without consideration. It is more than awkwardness & few temperaments.

I honestly feel people label traits as autistic when in fact they are just human differences. I once saw a point being made on a website - "You might get a sore throat, but does that mean you certainly will get the cold or flu?"
Neurotypical people arent all the same, just like those with autism. Alex has autism, is she shy, like that sterotypical assumption? By far she's not :rofl:

It makes me really sad to see people use the label in such a blasé way. It opens my eyes to the fact that people don't fully appreciate what life is like for those on the spectrum :(

I went to meet Temple Grandin and she explained this in detail and it was brilliant to her her view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->