Have you got information about having a sweep?

Cassie96

Mother of one <3
Reaction score
So I'm booked in to have a sweep tomorrow from a local midwife, and apart from knowing they use there fingers to detach the membranes, I don't really have a clue about why they do it, what happens or how it feels.
Some people have said it hurts and I'm quite a wimp when it comes to pain.
Also, has anybody gone into labour from having a sweep?

All information will be kindly appreciated, thanks x

I've heard it's more uncomfortable than painful. My mw told me that she gave a lady a sweep the other week and she had her baby within 24 hours :) good luck! X

I have had two sweeps as I'm having an early induction tomorrow for GDM. The first was quite uncomfortable as my cervix was quite posterior, but soft. I find smear tests quite painful but it didn't hurt like that, was just uncomfy. The one that I had a couple of days afterwards was still uncomfortable, but better as cervix further forward. I find it useful for internals to just concentrate on breathing and remember that they will be over in a minute or so. Hope that it goes well for you xx

She will get you to lie on your back, put your feet together and open your legs. You eill have a towel or sheet over you so you don't feel too exposed. When you are ready she puts one finger in and will try to sweep it round inside your cervix. The idea is to stimulate the hormones that start off labour. Depending on where your cervix is depends on how uncomfortable it is. If its high and closed she might not be able to reach or get inside. The further forward and the softer it is the easier it will be on you. I found mine painless just weird feeling. If you want oh there to hold your hand that's fine. Afterwards you might lose some plug so worth wearing a pad. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. If you body is ready for labour it can help but if you'd not ready then unlikely anything will happen.

Hi Hun,
I had a sweep last week and going back 2mro... Mine felt fine.. I just relaxed and had a chat to MW lol... Weird feeling but didnt hurt me.. But everyone feels pain diffrent I did have few cramps after but she said thats normal and also lots blood and plug.. Few days after but nothing since.. so Im off 2mro for another and hope so moment happens x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->