Having a CVS test

HenryHugs

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to writing in forums, I've generally only read other peoples, but wanted to ask some advice.
I have a healthy two year old son and I am 12 weeks pregnant with my second. We had our dating scan on Monday and everything seemed fine with the baby (right length, 1.8mm nt, strong heartbeat etc.) but I had a call yesterday to say my blood work had put me as a higher risk for Down Syndrome. My age group puts me at 1:1350 but I now have odds of 1:64. This seems like such a massive jump and immediately freaked me out! I realise it's only 1.44% possible, but is such a difference!
Having spoken to my husband & after a lot of thought and consideration, we agreed to go ahead with a CVS test. I felt like I didn't want to worry unnecessarily for 6 months, but I'm very worried about the risk of miscarriage now. I don't want to think I had a healthy child but lost it from a 1.44% fear!
Please can anyone give advice or tell me about their cvs experiences?
Thanks in advance!

I had mine done on Tuesday. My baby girl came back clear and my bloods were bad, nuchal 3.4mm and she has a 2 vessel cord, so you are practically in the clear honey!

It was quick, a bit painful but over super quickly. All you feel is a sharp stab down the vagina as the needle punctures the uterus and its done. I had no cramping or bleeding. I was stuck on bed rest for 24 hours and light duty for 72. I was tired for 24 hours, I think its the bodies way of protecting itself.

I would do it again for the peace of mind it brought me.

HUGS hun. It sucks to worry like this but the overwhelming majority of results come back normal.

Just to put your mind at rest a little (hopefully!) I had a CVS done when I was just over 12 weeks because of increased risk of DS (1 in 5). All my results came back completely clear and I didn't experience any complictations at all. While the risk of miscarriage is a worry, we thought the chance the baby may have DS was far greater than the risk of miscarriage and we definitely wanted to know if our baby did have DS. We did so much research on it before hand and I don't think I've yet to come across anyone that has suffered a miscarriage because of the CVS. It is also more than likely that your results will also be totally clear too. Unfortunately I have had a few more complications in my pregnancy but not because of the CVS. Wishing you all the very best for the rest of your pregnancy and try not to worry!!

Ive had a cvs done and it showed my baby had triplody which is all the syndromes you can possibly have. This test was crucial for us. It was uncomfortable but I just focused on the ceiling and tried to relax. I was worried about the risk of miscarriage but it's a risk you need to take if your baby could be unwell. Just rest afterwards. The cvs procedure did not affect my baby. Try not to worry and good luck
Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->