Having the only child?

emzky90

Reaction score
So just curious really....I go through broody phases and then my head kicks in and reminds me that no...one is more than enough...at least for now.

I just think I have enough on with Marnie as she needs a lot of attention and time and adding another baby into that mix just wouldn't work well.

I know everyone has different opinions on this but does anyone else just want the one child? I always thought i'd want at least two and may still have another one but not for the foreseeable.

We may have one when Marnie is older like 4/5 but then we may not...I just don't know.

What are your thoughts?

We thought after we had our daughter she would be an only child or with a loooong gap. but once we had her we ended up thinking it would be nice for her to have a little bro/sis... We started trying thinking it would probably take a year to get pregnant etc but ended up having our 2 just 2 year 5 months apart. because hubby and i fought with our sisters growing up we had meant to have a bigger gap but hey ho lol

In the end despite the (seemingloy constant) screaming/arguing. It's lovely when we see our 2 when they're together. They have a really lovely bond :)

I think at the end of the day we do the best we can with the families we have whatever size - one/two parents/step parents and one/twenty kids lol We're all special in our own ways :) (sorry for the cheese)

We have 12 yrs between ours, 1 was definatly enough! He was such a good baby who has turned into a fab teenager , we were happy with just the one and never occurred for us to have anymore.
Then disaster struck and I accidentally got pregnant! I now have a 1 yr old, temperamental whirlwind that has fitted in to the family like a glove!
No decision is really permanent , you can change your mind later down the line if your not ready now. I don't wish we'd had one sooner, it's worked perfect this way even if we didn't plan it!

My oh is a little older so I guess we will stay with one- I don't think I could handle two small children in a short time :haha:

I always thought i'd have 3 children, i dont know why, but working with children myself and having a bad first pregnacy i wasnt in a hurry to have anymore......... i always wanted a big age gap anyway.... but i was no way ready to even start trying until my daughter was at least 3 but even then it was more ....if were going to do it lets do it now sort of thing ....i wasnt broody...... i defintely wanted two children at least and i think its so nice having two but there is no way i am having a third.
We feel so complete...........i think you just know and there is no right or wrong x

I dunno, My Lo is 4 now, so really i would have to be pregnant now, to be in with a chance of having two some what (ish) close in age,i would have to be pregnant now! lol,

but me and my partner have only been together for 2 and a half years, and when we have spoke about it, we have spoke about it being a "Maybe lets see what happens much further down the line" sort of idea. I do worry though, that we will wait another 5 years and my LO will be nearly 10 and i wont want to do "it" all over again, you know the nappy changing and the late nights, because its all behind you etc, THEN again i think about all the things i want to do now and in the next few years that couldn't be done with a small baby/toddler around and it makes me think "nahhh sod that" so i am in an eternal dilemma. I do feel sorry for Lo though in being an only child.

personally i never felt like alot of people do... in the sense 'i dont want to do it all over again' just because the age gap is bigger... in fact, okay i might be insane but i loved it, my eldest was 4 and although the age gap wasnt huge we were well past nappies and sleepless nights but i think i delt with it better the second time round, but i know there is no way i could do two close in age at all.....nothing has or would make me want that in my experience....and seeing others deal with small age gaps has cemented that........so i 100% have no regrets there!!!.... i couldnt of done (like another poster has said) the things i did with my eldest with a baby as well and i wouldnt be able to do what i do with my youngest if my eldest wasnt in school..... and your attention is divided when you have more than one thats just how it is. x

Before I had Fran I was adamant I wanted 2. But since she's arrived I've felt so complete that my broodiness has completely vanished! I'm not saying never but Fran will have to be potty trained and a lot more independant before we consider having another lol.

I've always wanted 2 but since suffering from IF, I'd be happy just to get one and be done with this hell.

Well I never had the choice, as my first pregnancy was twins! The boys are now 3, and we're expecting another little boy on August 3rd. Yes, we'd like another, hopefully a girl. We have already said we'll start TTC when he's 6 months to a year. If we have another boy, we might try again. Although I think 4 is enough for me. Maybe, if it happens it happens. We probably wont try for #5, but we wont prevent either. And 5 is definitely cut off point. 5 boys, 3 boys 2 girls, 4 boys 1 girl, I don't care, once they're happy and healthy. 5 is definitely cut off point, if not 4.
If I just had 3, i'd be perfectly happy. Once my family are happy, i'm happy! :thumbup:

Good luck in the future hun xx

I ALWAYS thought I would have 2, and I still think eventually I will have 2, but my career has had to take a bit of a backseat even while pregnant, which has been hard on me. I am a firefighter who is used to working 24 hour shifts twice a week, and now I am working 4x10.5 hour shifts per week.... which I HATE. I hate office work. It is not for me. I miss being on the trucks and being in the hall. I really can't wait to go back to that. By the time I get back it will have been a year and a half I was away, and that seems SO long to me since it hasn't even been 6 months yet that I have been in the office.... HOLY CRAP, now that I think of it, it hasn't even been FOUR months!! :wacko: ... Ah well, only a couple more months of this, and I am sure I will enjoy the time off with LO for a while, but I certainly do NOT want to have one right after the other. Maybe when LO is 3-4 I will think about trying again. OH doesn't think I will ever want to do this again... he thinks we will only have one child because of how much I miss my job :(

I didn't want any - as I was 17 when I had my first so really was not planned. I wouldn't change him for the world but I didn't want anymore - I had a horrid pregnancy and an even worse labour and we both nearly died and that was it for me and I was worried I wouldn't love another baby like I did my oldest - I actually went to the docs to be sterilised but they wouldn't do it and I was going to go private when I found out I was pregnant with my second. My pregnancy still wasn't great but my labour was lovely and my boys get on so well its lovely to see they adore each other and Tyler was really involved in my pregnancy. Now me and OH are planning our third and will start trying as soon as I've finished studying x

Im getting paranoid about having 3 as I hate odd numbers, reckon I will have to get a puppy to make it 4 pmsl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->