Hbac?

Chellepot

Mummy to 1 and baking No2
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Could anyone give me some advise on how to approach the subject of a HBAC with a midwife who I initially told I wasn't considering one.

I always wanted to try for a VBAC but have come up against brick walls with my midwife and the hospital over using the birthing pool and the need for continuous monitoring which I don't want, so I hired a doula and I am now considering a HBAC. That's not to say I won't change my mind and decide hospital is the place I want to be after all but I think I am considering it enough to put things in place for it. My midwife is lovely but I know she isn't going to be keen on the idea. Anyone had issues and got round them? How did you do it?

:shrug:

I have just spoken to my midwife and the home birth midwife this week. At my booking in appointment I mentioned nothing about a home birth just that I wanted to try for a vba2c.
The home birth midwife was great, told me that the consultant would pretty much hit the roof but to go armed with information and stand my ground.
I then spoke to my own midwife and I had no idea how she would react, but thankfully she is 100% supportive. If she wasn't then I think I would have looked for another midwife as you need to surround yourself with positive people.:thumbup:
I am seeing my consultant for the first time next week and I intend to inform them of our choice to have a home water birth. They can advise me all they want and I know they will try to scare us out of the idea but I have full support from my husband who will be with me and we are making an informed decision.:thumbup:
Once I have had this initial consultant meeting I am going to tell them that I want to go back to midwife led care and that way I won't need to have the negativity every time I need to see the consultant.:flower:

Once I have had this initial consultant meeting I am going to tell them that I want to go back to midwife led care and that way I won't need to have the negativity every time I need to see the consultant.:flower:

I was considering doing this as well as I have a feeling I will have issues with a consultant. My last consultant seemed to be implying I should have a CS anyway before I was anywhere near giving birth. At that point he had no reason to even suggest a CS might be necessary!

I was considering doing this as well as I have a feeling I will have issues with a consultant. My last consultant seemed to be implying I should have a CS anyway before I was anywhere near giving birth. At that point he had no reason to even suggest a CS might be necessary!

I think it's the only way to go really unless you get a supportive consultant who is happy for you to hbac(highly doubtful!) You don't even have to go to the initial appointment but I would like to hear what they have to say! :dohh:

Get your doula on board processing your thoughts and feelings about HBAC. And regards your Mw you don't need her blessing as such so it really doesn't matter if she's keen or not. Why don't you focus on yourself and working out what you think would work for you and then rather than approach it from a 'asking' her perspective, you can confidently tell her you're planning a HBAC and have come to an informed decision that you hope she will respect and support :)

Get your doula on board processing your thoughts and feelings about HBAC. And regards your Mw you don't need her blessing as such so it really doesn't matter if she's keen or not. Why don't you focus on yourself and working out what you think would work for you and then rather than approach it from a 'asking' her perspective, you can confidently tell her you're planning a HBAC and have come to an informed decision that you hope she will respect and support :)

My doula is very much on board, I speak with her a lot about different things but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like support from my MW. Ultimately she could end up being one of the midwives sent and it would be nice for her to support me, and I do need to ask her to book the home birth for me. I'm not really the kind of person who would just tell someone to do something. I don't know, so many battles i'm starting to wonder if ELCS would just be better :(

My doula is very much on board, I speak with her a lot about different things but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like support from my MW. Ultimately she could end up being one of the midwives sent and it would be nice for her to support me, and I do need to ask her to book the home birth for me. I'm not really the kind of person who would just tell someone to do something. I don't know, so many battles i'm starting to wonder if ELCS would just be better :(

Oh please don't feel that way.:nope: I agree with you that it is important to have support from your midwife, particularly if she will be attending to you at home. I am a doula and the best case scenario for me is to have a confident, informed mum supported by myself and the midwife totally on board with mums wishes.
If you are finding it hard to let your midwife know then it would be a good idea for your doula to go with you to your appointment.

It doesn't have to be a battle but you do need to be strong willed. I wish you lots of luck.:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->