HCG levels are high at 5w3d and Dr. Google is freaking me out *SCAN UPDATE*

nikkchikk

Reaction score
I know. I should have never consulted Dr. Google, but I am a curious person by nature and I can't help myself.

I had bloods done yesterday at 5w3d. My nurse said my progesterone is nice and high and healthy. She also said that I need to come in for an U/S this week because my HCG was 15,000, high for how far along I am. Nurse said she couldn't guess, because those numbers don't mean anything without an U/S to confirm. She mentioned my being further along than I thought, but that is doubtful because I charted/temped and know when I O'd.

According to the internet, it could be

1. Twins (but not always)
2. An indicator of downs syndrome
3. A blighted ovum

All theories have got me on edge and Friday is so far away.

Does anyone have experience with a high HCG at 5 weeks? I would like to hear about it!

At 4w6d mine was 18,762 when I was pregnant with my daughter. She's now a happy and healthy one year old. When my OB called with my results, I asked him if that was too high (I had had 3 miscarriages and had done a lot of googling so my fear was what you posted) He told me to stay off google, and that he had been an OB for over 30 years and he's seen hcg all over the place. He told me he'd be concerned if it was over 100,000 or if there was a huge discrepancy b/t hcg and progesterone (like my first pregnancy, my hcg was 38,000 at 5 weeks and my progesterone was only 9...and that pregnancy ended in mc) GL and hope your scan goes well.

She probably wants to rule out a molar pregnancy (I think the levels are not high enough for that however...) and especially twins. Mine were almost 22000 at 5w4d - nothing was mentioned to me (the Downs has crossed my mind as I am old...but nobody has said anything about my levels, and in that case, an ultrasound that early wouldn't tell them anything). So far 1 healthy singleton.

hugs try not to google hun xx only an ultrasound will confirm fx for you xx

At 5wks my number was 6800 so it would have probably been around 14000 at 5+3. I definitely don't think that's too high. I've also read HCG isn't really a huge indicator of twins as many people have high HCG with one baby or normal HCG level with twins. No way of knowing until the scan. Hope it goes well!

Thanks to each and every one of you :) Scout, it is comforting to hear what your OB said. I haven't talked to mine yet!

At 5 weeks 6 days my hcg was 33000... And I have a healthy almost 1 year daughter now :)

Good luck to you!

Deffo not too high!! Mine were 106,000 at 6w1d with ds2!!

There's only one! Measure. Bang on 6 weeks and heard a strong heartbeat!

Attachments

• 1421427371499-1274397.jpg
    1421427371499-1274397.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 28
Congrats on the scan. Those hcg levels sounds absolutely normal to me?

Yeah so assuming you are doubling every 48hrs that puts you right on point for being normal

Yeah so assuming you are doubling every 48hrs that puts you right on point for being normal

Well, when the nurse said it was high and they wanted a scan, I trusted what she said, considering they see many many pregnant women! But it doesn't matter anymore since i had the scan and have had confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->