HCG levels- how do you know??

sancarlos27

Reaction score
Just wondering how so many of you know your HCG levels- is that something normal that doctors do or do you have to request it or go to a private doctor? Thanks!

My doctor did one as a routine check when I got my BFP, I requested it. It is a blood test. I got a second one when I went to the hopsital for crampiness. They did one as a check on my babies progress....that's how I found out I have two in my oven.

HAve you seen your doc yet??

Thank you- no, I will not be seen until September 9th, but they already told me that all they'll be doing is a urine test...I might pay out of pocket and find somewhere that will do it...Thanks! And congrats on your babies!!! So exciting!

I have no idea and I actually prefer it that way - one less thing to worry about. I have only had one blood test to get the type and check various levels (iron, heamoglobin etc).

With my other three children I had never heard of it. It was only cos I had a miscarriage in June that I even became aware of HCG levels. I don't think they are routinely tested. They are used to monitor whether a pregnancy is viable.

You only tend to get them if there is suspected ectopic, or miscarriage. I had them monitered for two days in hospital with my son cos they suspected ectopic. They are in thoery suppost to double every 48 hrs, but every women is different.

Therefore it's not done routinely it's not generally monitered or anything that matters. I'm with Rach, I'll only be having one blood test to check levels, I don't need all the stress my sister had with all the tests they through at her.

I thought it was a USA thing more than UK personally but not a clue myself xxx Mine havent been checked

I only got it done becasue I had a pain on the side (corpus luteum cyst) but they wanted to rule out ectopic.

I wish however I never had it. the first two tests, although doubling like they were supposed to, were realtively low. But I am a late ovulator, so I was about a week behind the date my lmp would have indicated. So they sent me for addtional blood tests for a few weeks. This caused some unessessary worry for me, although logically I knew why they were low. I later read the Dr likely should not have been trying to date the pregnancy with HGC numbers so early since there is such a huge range of normal.

Hi, your on about 'HCG' levels, I've never heard of this what is it? And should i know mine...? :shrug: x

i wouldn't request to have them checked unless there is some concern that there is an issure with the pregnancy. i had them checked per the doctor this time because i have a hx of m/c and had some bleeding early on in the pregnancy. however saying that, once you have the numbers it's hard not to obsess over them and wonder if everythings ok. if your pregnancy is going well then don't cause yourself the extra stress!! i about had a fit with mine because they didn't double in two days (42854 to 60035) but i had a scan and everything is beautiful. every person is unique, and the numbers will be different for everyone!!!

I only had my HCG levels monitored because of a suspected ectopic after I had bad pains in my left side x

I think they only test if they suspect a problem. I never had mine tested.

I don't know whts it's short for tbh, but it's basically the growth hormone and when a lady is not pregnant they apparently lie between 0-5 when pregnant they rise daily, supposedyl doubling every 48 hrs, but like someone said all women ae different and doesn't necessarily do this. It can be a sign of twins if the levels are mega mega high, but not all the time.

The hormone stops doubling after the placenta has grown at abt 12 weeks, hence we enter the 'safer' period. Which is why some women who are 6months to full term often have neg pregnancy tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->