he wont eat it!

dizzyisacow

wife,mother & myself
Reaction score
i started my baby on ricecereal vanilla flavor about 3 weeks ago maybe, he is 6 months he doesnt like it so i got him another brand still doesnt want it so i tried the fruit flavored one and he wont eat that either! he wont open his mouth sticks his tongue all the way out and sometimes gags. i have no idea if this is whats supposed to happen until he gets used to it.. mainly its my fault, i dont have a routine sometimes i gave it to him when he wasnt hungry or too hungy but its been 3 weeks and out of that time he ate it only twice.and i dont have patience either if he wont eat it then i dont push him, can i just start with normal baby food already? (i will ask the doc eventually)

If he doesn't want to be fed, have you tried letting him feed himself finger foods?

We started with buttered toast, and at 6 months there is no reason why he can't go straight onto finger foods :)

really?! wow i thought i had to wait for that. scared of choking. i should try it but my husband wont let me give him anything unless i ask the pediatrician! drives me nutty! ill ask her on monday about that

i asked the pedi and she told me to start giving him fruit mashed or whatever, but she insists i give it to him at 10-11 in the morning and ricecereal at 4-5 afternoon but this is very hard for me because im at work or asleep at theese hours. whats the difference if i feed him at 2 and 7? does it matter?

I can't imagine the actual time should matter really. As long as LO isn't too tired or too hungry then you should be fine. I'd experiment with times that suit you as a family, might take a few days to find something that works :hugs:

One of mine doesn't like being spoon fed. He rarely is interested and only opens his mouth a small amount. As rafwife said, finger foods should help. Mine have been having toast since about 6 months and gagged a little at first but it goes to mushy for them to do any harm.

i never thought it possible to give toast to a 6 month baby!
he eats his fruit fine now.
ill ask the doc today about the toast see what she says

i never thought it possible to give toast to a 6 month baby!
he eats his fruit fine now.
ill ask the doc today about the toast see what she says

Yeah, it's quite popular to do baby led weaning instead of purees at 6 months. They don't exactly eat much of the finger foods but it doesn't matter yet anyway as long as they are taking their usual milk. Solids only matter when they are at least 9 months.

ok i have more questions. im not one for routine and rules but i will if its for my baby's well beeing. i do anything my pediatrician tells me to. but is it right?
first off i have to introduce first fruit and she told me 3 fruits specific ones and each fruit for 4 days to see if there a reaction, then we will do the same with veggies. and he HAS to have the fruit in the morning and ricecereal int he afternoon.
can't i just give him anything anytime? as in noon give him a banana to play with and eat if he wants, then whenever in the day any other finger food?
he is 6 months

There is no reason you HAVE to give fruit in the morning and rice cereal in the afternoon, that's ridiculous. Maybe introduce a routine though, a specific times that he eats because if you feed him at the same times every day (or after the same activity) then he'll learn that it's time to eat, and try not to give him a bottle right before meal time. Also have you tried plain rice cereal? He may just not like it flavored at all. Or he could just hate to be spoon fed, Kathryn was like that but we gave her finger foods instead and she was much happier to eat, we gave her all kinds of food too, just nothing acidic at that age, no nuts either :D
Good Luck.

yes but why do you need to give them at these hours?! he doesnt eat rice cereal but he likes his fruit, i only tried pear so far trying another fruit tomorrow

yes but why do you need to give them at these hours?! he doesnt eat rice cereal but he likes his fruit, i only tried pear so far trying another fruit tomorrow

Well giving fruit only in the morning makes no sense to me, I'd ignore the dr on this one.

I wouldn't feed fruit first anyway, as your LO will get a taste for sweet fruit and be more reluctant to have savoury foods.

There is a baby led weaning thread where you can learn about finger foods. At 6 months he will be perfectly capable to eat them :)

I wouldn't feed fruit first anyway, as your LO will get a taste for sweet fruit and be more reluctant to have savoury foods.

There is a baby led weaning thread where you can learn about finger foods. At 6 months he will be perfectly capable to eat them :)

i gave him a banana today! he couldnt hold it and wasnt interested and when he got a bit in his mouth he tried to gag to make it get out! he does hold things though maybe it was too big!

Its ok, some babies just don't like it. Harley hated it. She wouldn't eat any form of baby cereal, its best not to make food an issue. If he won't eat it wait a few weeks and try again.

AJ always disliked baby cereals and wont eat cereal warm either!

I agree with trying the finger foods. Even if LO just plays with them.
I always did a fruit or veg puree for him, he did have a preference of fruit for a while but he's not too bothered now, I normally offered it around about the same time every day, I'd still try if we were running behind a bit - sometimes he'd try others he wouldnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->