health visitor pre baby visit UK

BecksBabyB

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the health visitor coming tomorrow for my first visit and I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone know?

Bx

Hi,
I have the health visitor coming tomorrow for my first visit and I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone know?

Bx

Nope sorry! I was under the impression that health visitors only come once the baby has arrived? :/

same as Bella. No mention of HV until after baby has arrived.

Same here, no hv till baby is home?
Are you vulnerable or young?

I had the health visitor come round before baby with my first to give me my red book and just have a general chat! Nothing to worry about xxx

I used to work in the health visitors office doing admin and they didn't do Pre baby visits but I'd imagine it is just to introduce themselves and as someone else has said, to give you your red book x

in our area they do a pre-birth visit regardless of your circumstances. It is to fill out all the paperwork before the baby arrives.

They will ask a million questions about your family life, your support networks, medical history etc. any worries about the birth/bringing up baby etc. It was ok and i just went along with it but the questions are pretty invasive about your personal lives.

they didnt want to see the babys room or anything which i thought they might. when they come to do the post birth visit it is much quicker as all the paperwork has already been completed.

hope that helps!

Yes my HV came to see me - just an introduction and paper work filling in session!

She also wanted to see where Baby was going to be sleeping. She said it was a new thing and was quite apologetic. But I didn't mind t all.

I had my hv come round on fri. shes lovely and iv met her before. She just asked a load of questions about how i was feeling, how the pregnancy had been and how i felt i would cope with a toddler and a new baby. It was just like a nice chat really. i enjoyed it, altho my cheeky 20month old saw it as a good time to play up!! its nothing to worry about tho hun, i liked it as it makes me think they actually care about how your doing. She also told me when they come out to visit after the midwife and about breast feeding support etc xx

We have the visit as standard where I live. Just to hand over red book. No n aside questions here at all!! She just lets you know about baby groups, support groups and weighing clinics etc and asks if you have an questions or concerns. Really informal and nice!

Thanks ladies :) she'll be here at 10am, and I'm quite looking forward to it now x

Enjoy! I had a pre baby visit with my first too and I really enjoyed it! She was really lovely and we just had a nice chat and I could ask her anything I wanted. :)

It went really well and she was lovely, I also had a student there too. They were both really helpful and easy to chat to :) I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet with her before baby arrives x

This is where there is a big difference between the US and UK...if a government employee here came to ask me 'where my baby would sleep' or other personal
Questions, they would get the door slammed in their face! None of their business.

It went really well and she was lovely, I also had a student there too. They were both really helpful and easy to chat to :) I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet with her before baby arrives x

Glad it went well :)

Whaaaaat??? What is a health visitor? Is this so they can determine if you are a fit parent before you even have a chance to screw up? We have social workers that work for Child Protective Services and DHS but that's only when there is a reason, like drugs/alcohol or abuse issues. I have to say I'm envious of all the maternity pay/benefits you get in the UK but not jealous at all about THAT! I like what CatherineK said, they would get the door slammed in their faces here!

Its not that they determine whether you are going to be a good parent, its just a support system should you need to talk to anyone about any aspect of becoming a parent, breast feeding, child illnesses, development etc. She wasn't invasive or pushy about anything just made me aware of logical support groups they run and numbers should I need help when baby comes. It wasn't a test or anything. She was lovely and as a first time mum, its great to have that kind of support. :) x

A health visitor in the UK is like a paediatrician to Americans.

They do baby checks, weight, give tonnes of advice when baby is here.

It is in no comparison to Child Protection Services (Social Services in UK). They are there for help advice & support so we don't run to the doctors surgery every 5 minutes.

They work for the NHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->