health visitor pre baby visit UK

So I assume you are allowed to refuse the visit if you want, without repercussions? Because I would not let them in my house, it just a different mindset here, I guess.

It is an optional service but I think it would cause Concerns if you did refuse a visit. Not all areas do a pre natal visit it depends on the staffing. Personally my hv seemed lovely and looking forward To seeing her again and advice. In the uk we have our babies weighed regularly which is usually done by the hv so it's just a nice way of introducing themselves

Personally I think we in the uk get loads of support my HV is lovely I feel really supported what do you get in the USA must get something similar surly.

I not saying your support is not good, if you love health visitors that works great for you , I just remember on here my last pregnancy a girl
From the UK was reported to authorities simply because she did not allow the health visitor to visit, that would
Be very illegal in the US (To be investigated simply because you didn't allow a person in your home).
I have a great pediatrician I can see any time I want (daily afternoon walk in hours) and normally visit every two weeks for the first month or two, a 24 hour line for my pediatrician I can call and talk to a nurse for advice, and for people that need emotional or
Financial support, there are many programs and services (Medicare, WIC, welfare, food stamps, childcare assistance, Etc, etc). My work has a program where a nurse calls to talk to me every month as well, which is voluntary. And 24 hour help lines for any emotional issues. Again, I think it's just a different mindset in different countries.

Areas are different, I just had my daughters 2 year check up with my hv at her playgroup, as I am pregnant I did ask if I was due a visit before baby was to arrive and she explained that it all depends on the amount of health visitors available and I probably won't see her until after she is born and I am signed off from midwife :)
I must say she was a godsend with my first daughter in the early stages when we came home(she had feeding & heart problems and she pushed the doctors till something was done), I know some people find them intruding but information wise and advice they can give you especially when your a first time mum can be very helpful ie mum and baby meet ups in your area, where you can take baby to be weighed and toddler groups, baby massage, breastfeeding help/cafes!!

Use them to your advantage they aren't there to find faults they are there to help :flower:

A mother is not obliged to use the services of the health visitor (basically a nurse working in the community).

They have no legal power, they are not a social worker. They can't access your home, nor is it a legal requirement for having baby weighed.

There are no reprocussions for not seeing a health visitor.

You're under no obligation to see the health visitors or have them in your home. There have been cases where HV's have abused their position to try and get social workers involved for no real reason but this usually backfires on them spectacularly. I have never had a pre natal visit and personally I think it would be better for the NHS and local authorities to have funding distributed a lot more evenly for post natal visits and baby checks as in some areas it isn't even possible to get a one-to-one developmental check with the HVs because funding is so tight. I have my GP who is also a paediatrician and she operates an open door policy for babies and young children, any worries I go to her. Xx

It is an optional service but I think it would cause Concerns if you did refuse a visit. Not all areas do a pre natal visit it depends on the staffing. Personally my hv seemed lovely and looking forward To seeing her again and advice. In the uk we have our babies weighed regularly which is usually done by the hv so it's just a nice way of introducing themselves

No there wouldn't be concerns unless you were not attending other ante natal appointments as well. If offered a prenatal visit I would refuse. I have only had one decent HV in nearly 10 years and soon to be five kids and she was in a different borough and retired now. The ones around here are either patronising and dismissive, or completely clueless xx

I won't be seeing a health visitor through my own choice.

I will be travelling to my parents shortly after Millie is born and using the local baby drop in clinic if I have any concerns.

There are no reprocussions for those choosing no health visitor.

I find health visitors to be a pain in the arse to be honest. Even if they're pleasant, sometimes you're just not up to having them round.
I always feel as though I have to go whole hog and tidy my house to an immaculate standard before they come round, and if you're heavily pregnant or have a newborn to look after, impressing some HV is really the last thing you want to think about.

If anybody asked to see where the baby is going to sleep tbh they can go do one, because I don't let strangers in my bedroom, I don't care who it is. I'm very personal about our bedroom. If the kids have friends round I always close the bedroom door and tell the kids not to let people in. It just feels like an invasion of privacy, even though there's nothing shocking in there, but ya know my bed might not be made, or I might have some clothes chucked on the side or whatever, and yeah okay it would be better if it was buckingham palace but sue me my house is lived in. It's not horrendous, but nor do I want to have to iron my bedsheets or whatever just because some stranger wants to nosey at the baby's sleeping place.

And if I say I'm planning on co-sleeping most of the time I'd probably get nothing but an earful anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->