• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Healthy and cheap?? Ideas Please!!!!!

Hels

Reaction score
Im going shopping tomorrow, and have considerably less money to do it with than Id like, I like to cook meals and rarely use frozen/processed
Can you all post your favourite budget recipe??? Healthier the better!

Hi there,

Here's 2 of my favourites that are not expensive but very tasty,

1) Egg Fried Rice
Just boil up some rice (better if you leave it go cold first - but can use it straight away). Then fry up an onion in some oil, add any other tasty vegetables in there like carrrots, mushrooms, peppers and if you have garlic or ginger add this too for some flavour . Add the rice and at the same time break in 1 or 2 whole eggs. Mix it together and then fry until the egg bits go brown and lovely. If you have soy sauce - add as much as you like to taste. Then gobble up :happydance:. Note need a good non-stick frying pan- otherwise you will end up with a sticky mess!

2) Mexican Bean Soup
Sounds weird- but I can definitely recommend
Chop and fry 1 onion in 4 tablespoons of oil. Add 2 gloves of crushed garlic. If you have spices in your cupboard- add 1 teaspoon of ground corriander, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin and half a teaspoon of ground cinammon and up to half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper or chilli powder (whichever you have). Only essential spice is prob. the cayenne/chilli.
Fry it all together for 5 mins. Add 2 cans of drained kidney beans (very cheap!) and 1 tan of chopped tomatoes. If you have any kind of hot chilli sauce like tabasco add 1 to 2 teaspoons- (if not add more chilli at the beginning part instead). Add 900ml of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Then cover and simmer for 20 mins. Then puree or blend or even mash with a potato masher until you have a smooth soup.
Then squeeze a whole lime in or you could use lemon instead.
Add salt and pepper to taste or if you are my OH lots more tabasco :headspin:
This makes enough for 6 (but you can freeze what you don't want for another day).

3) If you're feeling really lazy, baked potatoes! Roll them in butter/margarine/oil and salt and pepper 1st, don't forget to stab them 1st so they don't explode, bake them and then yum them up with some cheese or whatevedr you fancy:wohoo:.

Hope the 2 of you something you both like.

YUM, the egg fried rice sounds spot on!
We have jackets a lot, I was going to make them with Coronation chicken this week (with left overs from my chicken)
Thank You!

veg soup!

potatos, carrots, cup of peas, half a swede, a few leeks, some veg stock cubes, onion. (+chicken if you want to make a chicken soup....if so change veg stock to chicken stock and leave out the peas)

but all harder veg (+onion)into a big huge cooking pot put enough veg stock in to cover them, (if making chicken soup seal off one breast/leg per person then add here)cook untill nice and soft, add softer veg cook for another 15 mins,(chicken- remove chicken cut of bones and cut into either chunky or thin bits depending on how youlike your soup) either hand blend or mash a little bit (if youd rather it be chunkey) ans serve with some tasty bread (pref warm and hand made too)

there are no def measures of this soup so just guess work it depending on how big you family is!

good luck let me know if you use it and how it turns out.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->