• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Healthy Food Ideas

krissie328

Reaction score
I have an extremely picky toddler. I am so beyond frustrated and just feel like a terrible mom for giving in to his picky ways.

I have tried the wait it out he will get hungry approach. Seriously, I think this kid would starve!!

He mostly prefers chicken (chicken meat or nuggets) and fries or tater tots. I can usually get him to eat some veggie, like broccoli or carrots if they are raw. He likes apples and sometimes bananas, and he loves oranges.

So he does eat some healthy foods. But seriously last night and the night before he refused to eat anything offered and then kept getting into the cupboard. Both his dad and I put back whatever he was going for because he hadn't ate his dinner. But it leaves me feeling so guilty that he is hungry, but on the other hand I feel guilty if I feed him the crap food he wants.

Does anyone have suggestions on healthy foods he might eat or strategies to get him to eat?

:nope:

What if you don't keep any of the junk food in the house? Maybe he would do better with his healthy meals if there was no other alternative. And then if he does go and help himself to something out of the cupboard at least it will be something healthy.

Or maybe try to make healthy versions of junk foods he likes. My daughter loves granola bars that I make which are made from nuts, seeds, raisins, unsweetened coconut, and dates. I also make a lot of muffins loaded with shredded zuccini, carrots, greek yogurt, oatmeal, and raisins with maybe just a 1/4 cup of honey or date paste to sweeten, but often I don't use any sweetener at all. Sometimes DD asks for pancakes so I make protein pancakes out of oats, cottage cheese, and eggs with some blueberriea or strawberries sprinkled in. She also eats dehydrated veggies with a bit of oil and salt, or baked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with oil and little salt, and calls them 'chips'.

What if you don't keep any of the junk food in the house? Maybe he would do better with his healthy meals if there was no other alternative. And then if he does go and help himself to something out of the cupboard at least it will be something healthy.

I have done this for the most part. All the junk food is now kept up in a high cupboard that he doesn't even see it get opened.

The snack foods I have at his level and are accessible aren't bad just not a replacement for dinner. Although, I almost feel at times maybe they will need to be moved out of his reach if he continues to go to them instead of eating meals.

Oh sweet mama, aren't these wee ones frustrating? I've had two really picky eaters...theirs was caused by severe food allergies we didn't know about. My 7 yr old didn't eat solid food consistently until she was 2! My 5 yr old is finally outgrowing that stage but even then he still prefers to eat his fave things rather than try new things. He lived off of bananas for months...and then applesauce or oatmeal.

Both my kiddos have outgrown it. I stayed consistent with our rules. If its something "new" I know they won't want to try it so I offer an alternative for them after they've at least had a chance to try the new item. If its something they've eaten many times and it just being a stinker then I don't offer them anything else...they'll have to finish their food before they get anything else. We've missed many a meal while they tried to see how firm I'd be on this one.

If the kiddos are sick or not feeling well I let them eat their "safe" foods of that season (oatmeal, bananas, applesauce, chicken, etc) until they are feeling better then we go back to the above rules.

They do outgrow this and it helps if we are consistent. Don't try too many new items at this age and be willing to be lenient if they are sick or its something new...also, things like company coming over or going out to eat will throw them off so expect them to regress and not really eat but then be starving when company leaves or when you get home.

Once I relaxed and realized that my babies weren't going to starve I think my kiddos relaxed, too! Have a wonderful day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->