Heart palpitations

Jewls

Reaction score
I'm really suffering recently with heart palpitations they are so strong my heart just thumps so hard..
It's beginning to worry me and my chest feels heavy after like it's being sat on.
This mainly happens at night when I lay down.
Has anyone else had this not sure if it's pregnancy related or not but read up it can be common in pregnancy x

Yes, I had this too earlier on in my pregnancy. As soon as I lay down to sleep I would get a racing heart that was so uncomfortable. I would try to relax, breathe deep, change positions etc. but nothing could stop it! I also felt some palpitations during the day. I am 14 weeks now and I haven't noticed it for a little while. I believe it mostly has to do with the heart working so hard with all of the additional blood that's made! Probably a little bit of anxiety too. Worth mentioning to MD anyways, but I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck!

Get checked for thyroid problems. Graves disease is rare, but it happened to me, all of a sudden. Doctors say that pregnancy triggered it as early as several days after conception.

I have an irregular heart beat, but pregnancy definitely made it worse! I used to get really bad palpitations especially when I exerted myself, I was put on consultant care because of it as well, didn't have anything different in labour tho so it didn't affect it :) x

I had palpitations right through my second pregnancy (none at all with my first), and I'm now 10 weeks and I'm starting to get them again.

I never have palpitations when I'm not pregnant so for me it's definitely one of those weird pregnancy things. I mentioned it to the midwives last time and they were thoroughly unconcerned, told me it's very common and nothing to worry about.

I experienced this. The palpitations were so bad that they would keep me up all night. In my case, it turned out that I was quite anemic. The problem went away with iron supplementation.

Not to alarm but I should mention that heart palpitations/chest constriction should always be reported to your doctor. I mention this because of what I've recently gone through and am still going through. I am hooked up to a Holter monitor as I type, having just gone through a chest CT and echo too. I was told throughout all this that pregnancy raises the risk of pulmonary embolism and pneumonia, both of which need to be diagnosed and treated. Pulmonary embolism is life-threatening. Also, there is another condition called PPCM that strikes in the third trimester, but when I first mentioned my palpitations to my OB (in the first tri) she still sent me for an EKG nonetheless, to rule it out. The odds that it's any of these conditions are very low, but just wanted to make sure it was mentioned to you.

It is more than likely anemia or thyroid, as others mentioned, but I would really recommend discussing it with your doctor to rule out something more serious like the conditions above x

I've had palpitations as well - since I found out and some mornings (always seems to be in the mornings) my heart rate goes from 80 ish to 120! I've got a Fitbit so I know what's happened to it.

It is scary and k need to mention it to me midwife when I see her in a few weeks time x

Interesting! I've had these too of a night when I lay down. I thought it was very strange! I think it has eased off a bit lately now I'm a bit further along at 10 weeks. It freaked me out! Felt like I almost couldn't catch my breath, even though I wasn't moving and was laying down.

I just started getting them and my chest actually hurts from it. I have bad anxiety but I am also 39 years old. I will be mentioning this to my OB at first appt next week. I felt my anxiety creeping up and about 20 minutes later the heart palpitations started.

Thank you ladies feel a bit better knowing its not just me.. my chest also hurt alot after too which worried me even me...
I do suffer with anxiety but have never experienced that kind of thing before especially at times that I want actually anxious (laying down watching TV) they seemed to have eased off a bit but if they return I will go get it checked out x

Heart Palpitations are different then an increased heart rate so a fit bit isn't skiing heart palpitations. Check your iron and your fluid intake. Dehydration can be why. Low iron can also be a cause. And lastly thyroid. It's fairly typical to get them in pregnancy but there is usually a reason

My iron levels are fine although iron stores are low?? I must admit I do not drink enough so could be dehydration.. They seem to have settled down for now though x

I got this and racing heart throughout my first pregnancy! It causes issues during labour! I have had it twice during this pregnancy already so I guess it's happening again!!

Yes, I also get this when I lay down. Usually it happens when I lay on my side. It is so uncomfortable. I try to breath to calm myself down. I will definitely be checking for anemia and thyroid function in my blood work. Anyone here taking additional iron for this issue? How much, just curious if it would be more then in a prenatal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->