Heart Rate...more of a mild worry.

hopefulhippo

Reaction score
To start off, I will say I am very relieved that a heart beat was found on my ultrasound.

But I have been having trouble feeling OK about the heart rate. I had thought I was 6 wks 5days (from lmp) but I was measuring at 6 wks 1day. This doesn't worry me terribly, as I am small and so is my man and so are his kids (from a previous marriage). BUT I am feeling concerned about the heart rate.

It was measured at 102 bpm. Did anyone else have a heart rate in this low range? The American Pregnancy Association says anything between 90-110 is good but I found lots of other info that said 102 is low.

Thoughts. And thanks again for allowing me to vent concerns here.

Hi there-

Let me preface this by saying the first trimester is such a roller coaster! This is my second pregnancy after a MMC the first time around. At my first appointment this time around I was "supposed" to be measuring 7 weeks but was only measuring 6 weeks 2 days. I freaked of course. Little one caught up justtttt fine. When I did my ultra sound at 12 weeks ,she was measuring spot on. Sometimes in the beginning (and throughout the whole pregnancy) babies measure slower or faster completely randomly.

As far as the heartbeat goes, around 5-6 weeks is when the heart first starts beating. My doctor told me it starts out on the slower side (especially if you heard the heartbeat right after it first started beating.. I mean who knows maybe it only started beating very recently..) I would pretty much grantee you that it will be faster by the next time you hear it. :)

Wow thank you so much for such a reassuring response:flower:

A roller coaster indeed. I am so sorry for your mmc. I also had a miscarriage earlier this year and then was told it would be hard for me to get pregnant again.

So after much heart ache I'm here and so grateful to be....but also, damn nervous!

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Hey there!
I had my ultra sound yesterday and I thought I was 6weeks 6days but they told me 6 weeks 4days.

My baby's heart beat was 126bpm.
They said this was normal, I have read lots of wemen whose baby's heart rate was under 100 and all went very well.

This is my first and it's only normal to worry! I worry all the time!

So easy to worry!!

Has anyone else had a heart rate in this range?

I was to feel reassured that the heart beat was seen but the rate does concern me.

there right, when the heart starts to beat it is really low....as the baby gets bigger it will pick up speed

They never found a heart rate with mine at six weeks! So u got me beat lol!!! At least they found yours hehe. I'm 13+ now and strong heart beat! Yours will pick up

102 is low...for a further along pregnancy.
My son was 102bpm at 6+1 (my first pregnancy) I remember how worried I was, but he was just fine and is wild toddler.

And this baby was put back 8 days, and I am almost 31 weeks.

Hi Jennifer,

But 102 is not low for 6 wks 1 day, is that what you are saying? I was 6 wks 5days but measuring at 6wks 1 day. Ahhhhh this is making me cuckoo!

Hi Jennifer,

But 102 is not low for 6 wks 1 day, is that what you are saying? I was 6 wks 5days but measuring at 6wks 1 day. Ahhhhh this is making me cuckoo!

Not low at all. Heartbeat has to start somewhere, and it doesn't start at 150bpm :) I was put back aswell, and sometimes our body just ovulates late. He has remained but back 8 days.
But from my experience with my first son having 102bpm at the exact gestation, its perfectly fine and normal.

Personally, I do think it's low. I know sometimes it ends up OK but whenever my babies had heart rates under 110 even at 6 weeks flat I was told by the doctor I would miscarry and I always did.

I know this sounds dour but I think it's fair to hear both sides of the coin. I guess I'm the type who always found it hard for people to say "oh you're fine, stop worrying" and then it turned out badly anyways. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best. There is always hope as babies are individuals and can defy the odds.

I really do hope the best for you and hope that I'm just a cranky sour puss.

Your reply has certainly scared me Starry Night and I'm sorry for your previous losses.

I am going to work on having faith as everywhere I have read has referred to anything above 100 at this point as OK. I also had a miscarriage earlier this year and so have the fear in me but am further along this time than I was then.

I appreciate hearing your experience but I won't lie, it made me very nervous for a few days.

At 6 weeks I was panicking as there was no heartbeat. At 7 weeks the heartbeat was 143 and at 9 weeks it was 173.
Try not to worry, some babies are just slightly slower to develop than others. :)

Technician at my ultrasound said that at 6 weeks anything above 80 is good.

Just wanted to quickly update...especially for other woman who may come across this worried about low heart rates.

In my case, this seems to be a positive outcome.

2 weeks after this initial scan, the heart rate is 166 and the baby is measuring to date! You can imagine my incredible relief!

Also, to note...at today's u/s, the first set of pictures the tech took were abdominal and had me measuring a week back, she then did an internal scan and the measurements went up to date and the heart rate was more accurately seen. All of this to say, this stuff is NOT an exact science.

Thanks for the support.

I'm happy that I was wrong! Congrats and hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well. :)

Wonderful update.:flower: I am glad to hear this. My Baby's 5w 5d heartrate was 98 bpm and the technician just detected the heartbeat couple hours after it started beating. So, I guess low heartbeat can be normal at first too. Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

Yahoo!!! Their little hearts have to start somewhere :) I am so happy for you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->