Hello, new here with a question about BC pills.

Moraine

Mom to a cutie pie!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My husband and I have just recently decided to try and have a baby. We've been married over 7 years and both hit 30 recently so we thought it was time. I have been on the pill since I was 16, and only went off of it at the end of October. I am wondering how long it can take before coming off the pill before I could become pregnant?

I know that isn't an easy answer question but I was hoping someone might have some idea. I do believe I ovulated this month as I did have ovulation pains, though perhaps I could have ovulation pain without actually producing an egg? I'm not sure.

Also, I told my doctor that I was TTC and he didn't give me ANY advice, not even so far as telling me to take a pre-natal vitamin. I did get some advice from my sister who had a baby this year, she gave me the last of her pills. They contain 1mg of Folic Acid, should I be taking an additional Folic Acid supplement on top of that? I did buy some, they are also 1mg pills. How many more should I take?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new to this lol!

Hiya
I've just joined today. Me and my huby have been trying since Sept 07 although i only came off the pill then. I had first natural period 36 days later, which i think means the pill is out my system, but i'm only guessing. My next natural period came 25 days after that one so i think i'm regulating myself now. I was on the pill since being 16 years old, which is 11 years altogether, don't think theres an overall answer to how long it takes to come out of you, most people who i know have said 3-6 mths

I'm taking Pregnacare aswell, i was take foclic acid but that is in pregnacare and my feiend, who is 5 mths pregnant now, was recommended pregnacare by her gp

i take 400 of folic acid daily i was on the pill for seven years and got caught my second month off bcp

Thank you both very much for the replies.O:)
Lynz, that gives me much hope! If I was to get pregnant during my next fertile time, the due date would be my birthday! Obviously I'm not holding my breath but it would still be wonderful!

I came off BCP in late August/early September. I had two periods (Sept. and Oct.) after BCP and ended up with a BFP this month! I think like the others said it really depends on the person, and probably the type of pill they were on, etc. as to how long it takes for the pill to work its way out of your system. I notice you are in Canada, I am as well and have been taking the Wal-mart brand (equate) prenatal vitamins since TTC. There are 100 to a bottle and they cost around $6!

helloooo,welcome to B&B :hi: i've read you should allow 3 cycles after coming bcp before ttc however many women don't and are able to conceive. you definitely need to take folic acid, my gp told me 5mg. you may also want to look into OPK just to help things along a bit.

GOOD LUCK :dust:

I came off BCP in late August/early September. I had two periods (Sept. and Oct.) after BCP and ended up with a BFP this month! I think like the others said it really depends on the person, and probably the type of pill they were on, etc. as to how long it takes for the pill to work its way out of your system. I notice you are in Canada, I am as well and have been taking the Wal-mart brand (equate) prenatal vitamins since TTC. There are 100 to a bottle and they cost around $6!

I'm not sure which brand I'm taking, but that is a good price! Unfortunately there isn't a Wal Mart too near to me. I usually buy pills at Real Canadian Superstore, their prices are pretty good too. That's awesome news that you got pregnant so soon after stopping the pill! Makes me a little nervous actually, I had been expecting it to take a long time. Of course it still could for me.

helloooo,welcome to B&B :hi: i've read you should allow 3 cycles after coming bcp before ttc however many women don't and are able to conceive. you definitely need to take folic acid, my gp told me 5mg. you may also want to look into OPK just to help things along a bit.

GOOD LUCK :dust:

Thank you for the welcome! That's what I had read, that it takes three cycles. I have been taking folic acid as there is 1mg in the pre-natal vitamin my sister gave me, I just wasn't sure if that was enough. I did go and buy some extra folic acid pills, they are 1mg each. I took two extra of those last night so that gives me three. It seems weird to be taking so many! Should I be taking more? I keep hearing 4mg or 5mg, but the baby book I read said 1mg. I'm confused lol! Is it different for everyone?

:rofl: My DH thought it was going to take a lot longer for us to get PG too.

you can get pregnant in the first cycle off the pill, but it may take upto a year (I may be wrong) for you to start to have reg cycles

my dr told me 5 mg is the 'new' recommendation, most of the pg ppl i know are still taking 1mg. as long as you are getting at least 1mg you should be fine :thumbup:

Cool, thank you.:) I think I'll stick with the multi vitamin plus two folic acid pills. That gives me 3mg and I don't feel like so much of a pill popper lol!

Just some more examples of people coming off BCPs. I stopped taking bcp little over a year ago and just recently started ttc back in Sept. Still no luck yet...but my friend just told me that she is pregnant (with her 2nd) and she wasn't even off for one month! Also, my sister who will be 39 when her 3rd child is born, had her tubes untied after several years!!! SO it all depends on the individual. ~I have also started to take complex b vitamins, mostly for the folic acid. Good luck to you!! :hugs:

Thanks Avistar! That's crazy that it only took your friend a month! Man I better quit smoking right away. I really thought I had months to wait, but the possibitily is there so I better be safe and quit now. My husband is going to quit with me so it will be easier. Anyhoo, back on topic, a co-worker of mine is six months pregnant and I asked her how long it took after she came off the pill, only three months for her too.

Is there folic acid in B vitamins? Are B vitamins recommended for when you are trying to conceive? Good luck to you Avistar, lots of baby dust your way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->