Help! Advice on cots/co sleeping!

I was just about to ask this very question so watching for replies:) xx

I thought about dong this, but couldn't figure out how to safely plug the gap between the bed and the cot mattress. We've got a kingsize bed and started co-sleeping full time from about 2 weeks. We have enough room for all of us, so I don't think we'll go back to the cot idea until she's big enough to get herself out of the gap if she rolled into it!

^never thought of that. OH is just getting a bit tired of Edward literally coming between us :lol: xx

We got a bed guard and she sleeps between that and me. It gives us all a bit more room!

We got a Cosatto Close to Me bedside cot. It's a dropside cot, and one side can go underneath completely, or it can be used as a regular cot, with all sides up.

However, we had a similar issue to the one Tacey spoke of, the gap between our bed and the cot. Our bed frame sticks out, so we needed to fill the gap somehow. What we did was push the cot mattress over the gap, then we bound a couple of cushions tightly into sausage shapes and squished them into the gap on the far cot side, and pulled the cot sheet over. This worked but I was uncertain as to how safe it was. I'm sure there is a solution to this, somewhere... aside from buying a new bed, that is.

We ended up having to pull the cot side up and using it as a normal cot, though it is pulled up close to the bed. This was because I had a movement monitor and I found that when the mattresses touched, movement on our side was picked up by the monitor, rendering it useless. As I was an extremely anxious and paranoid new mummy, it was way more important for me to have the monitor functional. It did make it more difficult in the early days of breastfeeding, as I had to sit up and lift him in and out of the bed rather than just reach over, but it wasn't too bad.

:) Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!

We saw the arm's reach co-sleeper at the baby show when i was in 2nd tri and decided on that. Luckily OH's Dad had offered to buy us one of the "big" baby items so he paid.

Toby still ended up in our bed from being about 3 weeks old though. Although it was great having him right next to me in the co-sleeper, i still had to fully wake up every time he woke for a feed, lift him out, sit up with him, feed him, wind him and place him back in. I'd then settle back down to sleep for maybe 20 minutes before he was stirring ready for another feed! :wacko: :shock:

One night i just lifted him out and lay him next to me and fell asleep feeding him and after that decided to do some proper research into bedsharing and how to do it safely. I bought "3 in a bed" (a book, by Debra Jackson) and we co-slept full time until he was 3/4 months old, when he started to spend a little bit of the night in his co-sleeper again. We have gradually built it up so he now spends over half of the night in the co-sleeper, but we still have him in our bed for a few hours most nights.

As for a normal cot and taking the side off- i think it depends on your bed frame. If the bed frame sticks out, there is a gap issue, otherwise it should be fine, although you'd probably want to find a way to fix the cot to the bed iykwim?

Also, i don't know if you've already looked into it, but you might be able to get a bedside co/co-sleeper 2nd hand and just get a new mattress?

Hope that is of some help anyway, and congratulations on your pregnancy, hope you enjoy it :D

i just have a normal cot for leyla and in the early days she slept in her moses basket inside the cot as i was worried id suffocate her, as she got a bit older i had the cot next to the bed still with her in just that, with the side down, so i could easily reach her if she wanted to come into our bed, i think until your baby is either crawling or sitting up its safe to have the side down, but after that id deffo either fully co sleep or have the side up, just in case he/she tries to climb out and you dont realise

x

We started out with her in a snuggle nest in the middle of the bed but she really wanted to proper co-sleep and I was worried about her rolling off as she got bigger so we finally got her a cot bed, removed one side a pushed it up against our bed. We got this one https://www.pramcentreonline.co.uk/shop/product.php?product_id=6646

Our bed is a divan so there's no frame to worry about. The mattress wasn't quite as tight against our bed as I'd like so we rolled up some towels and squished them between the cot and the mattress on the otherside so it would be a secure fit.. however, if you roll into it it still made a tiny gap, so I've rolled a blanket up lengthwise and made kinda a bump with it, keeps her from rolling into the gap but easy enough for me to roll over if I need to get to her. I often lay half in her cot to feed her and then roll back to our bed. Personally after all the fuss I think next time I'd just have started with arm's reach co-sleeper! I'd like to see one in person first though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->