HELP! Constipated Baby

VanWest

1 baby, 4 step-kids
Reaction score
What do I do to treat constipation ? Noah has been having trouble going to the bathroom for about a week, but the thermoater(sp) trick has usually worked. Tried it again yesterday and this morning and his stool is very hard and he can only push out alittle bit, I also noticed some mucas/blood in it, but I read this can be normal when a baby is straning to get it out. What can I do to help him? My mom said they would laugh at me if I took him to his doctor, when it's only been a day since he had a normal stool. ADVICE/TIPS needed ASAP! Please!:cry:

I wouldn't put off going to the docs for longer than a day if his poo is still wierd! if you don't mind feeding him some cooled boiled water, that usually helps loosen up the old bowels!

I tried giving him some baby water and he kinda coughed when afterwards, is bottle water not the same?
I should also mention he passes alot of gas

I also read some mom's give juice to help, what kind of juice??

any other ideas? Im going to store soon, and wanted to buy the juice but wasnt sure what kind

is he breastfed? i heard it's quite common for breastfed babies to go days (a week, 10 days, maybe even 14 days!) without having a bowel movement and that it's normal.

if not then i'm not sure but i hope he feels better :hugs:

formula fed, lil bugger wouldnt latch on!

My daughter has been doing that since she was newborn too and still does it at 14 months! I don't know if you've start him on juice but prune juice always works well for us. We've done the thermoater trick too, and it rarely works until they are ready to push it out themselves. When you notice he is fussy and trying quickly run a warm bath, on the warmer side and hold him in the squating position. Im not a doctor, but at 6 months my daughter's peditrician told me to mix 1 tsp of a latex called Mirlax in her milk, and we do when we notice her poo is starting to get hard. Also try to get on a rountinue of juice, like every other day make an effort to give him a 4 oz bottle of apple or prune. I've found prune juice is easier on their stomachs though! My daughter started the problem when she went from breast feeding to formula at 1 month, try watering down his formula, or instead of 2 scoops try one and a half, my daughter didn't miss any nutrition because we did that. Most of that is what my predication had us do! Anyways just thought i would try to help!

you can give any juice, really. We only gave Colton Apple PRUNE juice at first.. because prunes.. duh, they are supposed to make you poop. Just dilute it! I do 2oz of juice and 2oz of water.. even if he doesn't drink all of it, some will still help.
Also, Colton's pediatrician told us we can get baby suppositories. They say 2+ on the box, but she told us just dont squirt all of it up him.. just like 1/4 to 1/2 of it. She said all it is is some stuff like oil, to help lube it up. It's not like adult enemas. :shock: The only thing is, you CANNOT give him those everyday.. only every other at the most, because they can get dependant on them.

When Mia was constipated I figured out that the formula with too much iron was the problem and I switched her to a lower iron formula. It really solved the issue.

I did what Aqua did..but i also did what my great nan used to do with me, a tiny bit of brown sugar and boiled water..obviously i didnt do this too often as sugar/gum problems etc, but it did help, when you go to the docs about this they give a sugar based syrup, well they did for my little ones.

You might try a glycerin suppository for kids. It is what my MW recommends.

Thanks everyone, I tried the suppository and it worked, he pushed out a medium amount, and it was softer. I gave him 2 oz of water in the morning and he took it pretty well. I did goto the store but didnt see the replys til now and bought apple juice, wishing I would of bought prune juice :( Oh well Im going to try it when he gets up from his nap. This white noise CD is wonderful and he is sleeping pretty well! About the forumla, I cant really switch him because he's on 22 cal formula for small baby's, they only have 2 kinds NeoSure and Enfcare Lipil, both with iron, he also gets 0.3ml of iron a day and vitiamins w/iron(1ml) but Im going to skip both today just to give his tummy a brake. Im also going to try the warm bath, great advice ladies I knew I could count on you guys for help!! :D :hugs:

Something else that worked for my son when he was a baby was to firmly massage his feet and calves (they are pressure points for the bowel). He would reliably go within the hour when we did this. It doesn't work as well now that he is older, but it was great the first year.

i went to the docs and they gave Riley lactolose now hes a bit older hes alot better and goes about 3-4 times a day :o

Glad to hear bubs is better.
... what's the thermometer trick ??

The paper my pediatrician gave me says babies can go up to three days without pooping. Also, Gerber makes little bottles of apple juice. Hope little Noah's tummy feels better soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->