• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help... Empty sac?!?

Dizzylala

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help...?
Positive pregnancy test roughly 3 wks ago. Have no real idea of dates as did not have a period before trying to conceive. Digital test told me 1-2 wks since conception so I guessed at 3-4wks.
V light blood (on wiping) on thurs, what worried me more was the aches I was having. Not really painful, just achey.
Had an internal scan on fri morn (after 24hrs of panic) which came back inconclusive...! All that could be seen was an empty sac. I have never heard of this before?!
Dr came in and in my opinion was v negative. Talking me through options for missed miscarriages. I turned down a blood test because to be honest I did not want to hear anymore of what the woman had to say and I just wanted to go home! Now I don't know what to think...?
Having done my own research I've read conflicting information. Part of me is very sad but the other part thinks is this normal... What if? I have another scan in 10 days time... The not knowing is horrendous!! Has this happened to anyone else? What was the outcome? This is my second pregnancy. Thanks x

I would ask for repeat blood tests to check your hcg is rising correctly. Another scan in 10 days time might still be a bit early.

Good luck

It's still early for you. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant. At 5 weeks and 3 days the sac was empty, no yolk or embryo. I think its 7-8 weeks when you can actually see something.
good luck x

I think it's very early as well... I would have done the blood test to see if the HCG was rising because that is very important as well with a repeat u/s. Please keep us update... :hugs:

I have been kicking myself for turning down the blood test!! Next u/s on Tuesday... Hoping for good news. Thank you all for your replies
X

I'm surprised they jumped to a scan without doing some serial beta hcg tests first. A scan is unreliable this early, too early to see a fetal pole. So a sac is a good start. I had cramping and thick brown spotting for 5 weeks with my daughter. Don't lose hope. Have you done anymore blood work since?

Monkey, once you can see something on a scan, i.e. a sac a repeat scan is much more reliable than bloods. Hcg levels can be erratic and hardly rise and it still be a normal pregnancy. Or double quickly with nothing much growing. But with two internal scans ten days apart you will see exactly what is going on.

Dizzy, I'm hoping that the reason your sac was empty was that it was just too early and that your follow up scan was a more positive experience. If not, I had an anembryonic (aka blighted ovum) pregnancy earlier this year and although I lost that one I am now 33w pregnant so there is hope for the future :hugs:

Thank you for all your replies!! Scan last Tuesday showed baby and heartbeat, my dates were almost 4 weeks out! Very relieved, however bleeding started again less than 24hrs later and has continued since. Thick and brown. They tell me this is normal although I'm still very anxious. This did not happen at all with my first pregnancy ( I didn't know I was pregnant until nearly 4 months, no symptoms.. Nothing!) I just can't get my head around how it can be so very different this time?! Have fear that this will just not end well...��

That's great news on the scan! :cloud9:

As for things being different well :shrug: this is my 8th pregnancy, 2nd to make it this far, and each time has been different. You're right, it's crazy!

That's great news on the scan! You can bleed and everything turn out fine, that has also happened to me. good luck hope the rest of the pregnancy is smooth sailing and you too petitpas x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->