help gas and electric pre pay metres

Wriggley

Reaction score
hi all

we just moved into a house that is on pre pay metres for gas and electric

we plan on changing to direct debit but can't until July 2nd so they can see how much we use in a month

well tonight we changed the gas and electric in to our name but yesterday oh put 2quid on to tie us over til today but only 2quid as was not sure if the metres would get wiped when when changed it into our name. well out of that 2quid it took 1.40 off us and gave us 60p on the gas. today we just put a tenner on and it took 5 for something and 2 for something else but we don't know what for as it was in code so out of a tenner we got 3 quid gas we thought that maybe we were on emergency but from when oh put 2 quid on last night to when we put the tenner on there is no way we could have gone 7 into the emergency gas as the only gas that used in house is for central heating and hot water. well we didn't have our radiators on and there was a problem with the boiler and of had no got water

any one got any ideas we with edf

hi all

we just moved into a house that is on pre pay metres for gas and electric

we plan on changing to direct debit but can't until July 2nd so they can see how much we use in a month

well tonight we changed the gas and electric in to our name but yesterday oh put 2quid on to tie us over til today but only 2quid as was not sure if the metres would get wiped when when changed it into our name. well out of that 2quid it took 1.40 off us and gave us 60p on the gas. today we just put a tenner on and it took 5 for something and 2 for something else but we don't know what for as it was in code so out of a tenner we got 3 quid gas we thought that maybe we were on emergency but from when oh put 2 quid on last night to when we put the tenner on there is no way we could have gone 7 into the emergency gas as the only gas that used in house is for central heating and hot water. well we didn't have our radiators on and there was a problem with the boiler and of had no got water

any one got any ideas we with edf

Could it have been a statutory monthly charge? I would definitely ring EDF and ask as that doesnt sound right. When I lived in a flat of 4 people, we used about £40 a MONTH gas and £60 electric

Could it be the previous persons arrears where the metre had been set to take money off to pay back arrears? I'm not 100% sure but know in my last house it was prepay electric and gas meters and my first payments to both wacked loads off that was owed.

We have a pre-pay meter for electric that we HATE and funnily enough we can get it switched over today.

Anyway the amount they deduct, is not a charge, its kept for 'back up'....say for example, you ran out of gas/electric at 11pm one night and had noway of going to top up, you could just pop ur key in and claim the bits of money they were deducting.

Its a good idea IMO as sometimes i cant get out to top up as im home with Aymen alone and its awkward, so i just use the 'back up' and then top up the next day properly.

Meters sound so difficult to me! I'd hate having to pop to the shop to top it up :O Eon offered us them when we moved in... Room mate liked the idea of it but.. Sounds so complicated. x

It could be a couple of things.
You have a monthly charge (rent and maintanance of the machine) which normaly comes off of your amount at 2am on a wednesday morning (others may come off a differant time thsts when ours comes off) if you dont have any funds on it ar the time it comes off next time you put the key or card in.
It never takes the full amount at most it will take 40% of what is on the card.
Another thing is if you let the meter get to £0 you get a small fine next time you top up, the longer its 0 the more fine you get (normaly its around 30p)
Also if you go into your emergancy £5 you get a small fine which anoys me seen as thats my £5 i put on there not theirs.

Any built up fines like this comes out at 2am wednesday or next time you put the card in.

This only works if you have the same type of metre,red button with A and black buttin with B

By default it shows what amounts in your metre
press A once that shows you any debt to come out.
Hold A till it beeps and a code should come up press A to get to each next code)
00 how much was last put on
01 how much was last taken towards debts (fines)
03 how much last payment was given to gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->