Help--losing supply

Kimber

Reaction score
I work Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8-3. I am a preschool teacher and before summer break, I had no problem pumping more than enough milk for my LO. Since school has started back up, it is like I am just not as responsive to my pump. I can feel that my breasts have plenty of milk, but it's like the pump just doesn't get it. I have a super nice Medela double electric. I have replaced all the essential parts. I even tried purchasing a less expensive Lansinoh pump to see if it WAS just the pump. School started beginning of September, and since then I have been able to keep up BARELY with what she drinks at the sitter, with some help from my milk supply in the freezer. Well, I don't know if it's finally all catching up with me or what, but now I think my supply is getting lower. I mean--makes sense since when I do get a chance to pump Mon/Wed/Fri, I'm hardly getting anything out. She is definitely able to get milk when we are together and she drinks, but I am pumping less and less. Like yesterday at lunch, I hadn't fed for 5 hours and was able to pump a little over an ounce TOTAL, from both sides. Now I know if we were together, this is not all she would be able to get.

LO is a little over 10 months, but I really don't want to be done BF yet, and I don't know how she would respond to drinking formula with the sitter. She also eats plenty of foods, but this is a girl who loves her booby juice!

It sounds like your milk isn't letting down, which can happen when pumping. It would in turn mean your supply would reduce because the milk isn't being removed so your body assumes you don't need it.

If you google for ways to help your milk let down, combined with extra pumping you might be able to increase your supply back up.

It sounds like your milk isn't letting down, which can happen when pumping. It would in turn mean your supply would reduce because the milk isn't being removed so your body assumes you don't need it.

If you google for ways to help your milk let down, combined with extra pumping you might be able to increase your supply back up.

Thank you so much! I'll look into that right now!

:hugs: It seems to be pretty normal not to respond as well to the pump closer to 1 year old, even if you don't start out with a decreased supply (as it sounds like you didn't).

I would definitely add extra pumping sessions if you can. If you have time, during work or otherwise, do some power pumping sessions -- 10 min on, 10 min off, repeat for an hour. Also try tweaking your pumping routine to see if you can empty better. You may need to pump for longer -- 20 min is an often-cited maximum but I know personally I would not be empty at all after 20 min. Try cycling through the letdown phase multiple times. Make sure your flanges are the right size, or better yet buy some Pumpin Pals. Do lots of compressions, and maybe hand express a little -- try it at the start, middle, or end of your pumping sessions, to see when it works best (for some people it helps get a letdown and for others it helps remove those last few drops).

When I was at school working two things helped me a lot. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. I definitely noticed a difference when I drank more vs. less water each day and so I kind of measured how much I was drinking. I know that teaching/taking care of little ones can get so busy you forget but make it a priority.

Also when I pump I have found that massaging my breasts while pumping and gently towards the pump helps me have more let downs and lets more milk out. I have had a few times I started to get clogged ducts and by massaging my breasts while pumping and rubbing those filled areas it has never lasted more than 1 or 2 days.

I hope these tips might help you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"