Help me please. stopping contractions?

Dream.dream

SAHM to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Anyone know any way to stop or slow contractions ?

I've been having painful contractions 6-7 minutes apart all day and am effaced almost completely but only dilated to 3 and a bit.

Doctors won't stop it because I'm past 35 weeks and wouldn't give me a shot to help babies lungs either so I'm a little panicked

I've been resting but it isn't making a differnec, they Arnt getting closer together but the fact that they are still here is making me nervous.

Really don't want baby born this early :(

Have you tried a warm bath? Supposedly a warm bath in early labor can slow it down.

You could try elevating your feet and pelvis and let gravity shift your baby back a bit.

Unfortunately, if you're in true labor, I don't think there is a way to stop it without drugs.

No advice besides resting, but hope your baby stays in a bit longer for you! I know they're pretty well developed at this stage (imagine if it happened a month or more ago) but given what you went through before, I can understand your stress. But lots of babies come out just fine much earlier, so maybe that'll be the case with this one.

I woke up with bad cramping right at 37 weeks though, and even then I was in no way ready for her to come out. I hope your contractions pass and you can go another few weeks, for peace of mind if nothing else.

It's crazy to me that the doctors won't try to stop your contractions though.

Oh, but here's a link to an article with some things you might want to try https://voices.yahoo.com/naturally-stopping-managing-premature-labor-464119.html?cat=25

I'm sure you've already Googled and came up with the same results though

Baby should be okay born at this gestation but it would be better to stay in another few weeks.
I agree with previous posts, rest up and drink plenty of water x

Spent some time in the bath and with my feet up and they slowed down to 15 minutes apart all night but now that I'm up they are calling back again.

I know babies can be okay at this point but really wanted to avoid this and I'm a little upset they they wouldn't stop them to give my little guy some more time with what happened with my first . :(

I'm suprised at them not stopping it! Never heard of not stopping the labor before 36 weeks. I had mine stopped at 35 weeks with DS. I think I would be demanding someone stivk that needle in and stop it. Whether they think baby is ok or not its not ok for them to be taking the chance. I'm angry for you! Drink a ton of water and hopefully that will help, otherwise keep staying off your feet and trying to get gravity to slow things down. I'm so sorry will be thinking of you and hoping it stops!

I went into labor at 35 weeks with my second son (my first was born at 28.6 weeks) and they didn't stop it either. I ended up giving birth to him, and did not have the steroid shots I had with my oldest. He spent 3 weeks in the NICU establishing feeds. It stinks they don't try to stop labor at that gestation. :nope:

This must vary from hospital to hospital, because my hospital told me their policy was that once I hit 36 weeks they would no longer take any measures to stop my labor. I wonder why they don't stop it when the general consensus in the medical field is every day baby can stay put is best for them, unless medical reasons prove otherwise.

I know this doesn't help answer your question, but I wanted to let you know that at my appointment on Friday (I was EXACTLY 35 weeks), I told the doctor that I'd been having a lot more Braxton Hicks and that I now had a little cramping with them. His response was, "Good. That's normal. And by the way, if you did go into labor at this point, we wouldn't give you anything try to stop you. Baby would be fine." So you're not the only one whose doctor feels that way. Good luck!

Did they say why they were letting you continue?? I see your in Canada.... My guess would be that they have decided that baby would not have any long term affects from being born a bit early. If weight and such is stable and baby is healthy, theres no reason to think that 5 weeks early is 'too early'. Not the most comforting thing to hear but at the same time you have to remember that a 'term baby' isn't exactly 37 to 40 weeks. Everyone is different and every baby is different. My first was a month early... no reason or cause for it. No talk of stopping labour or being in danger. Baby was just ready.... Hope everything goes well!

This must vary from hospital to hospital, because my hospital told me their policy was that once I hit 36 weeks they would no longer take any measures to stop my labor. I wonder why they don't stop it when the general consensus in the medical field is every day baby can stay put is best for them, unless medical reasons prove otherwise.

Generally, nothing will be done so close to your ESTIMATED due date.... because its an estimation. Even if you are exactly sure of your dates, baby can decide to be ready faster then the 40 weeks. If its a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, stopping your body from doing a natural thing like delivering a baby has higher risks to it then letting baby come. The complications that arise from shutting off your bodies labour is greater then the complications of managing a 'preterm' baby.

Also a women last week had a healthy baby at 35 weeks , baby may just be ready to come xx

You can't really assume baby will be healthy so early. Taking one antedote from a forum does not a healthy baby make.

However, my doctor told me they wouldn't try to stop my labor after 34 weeks. Like the pp said, it's harder/worse to stop natural labor than it is to deal with a late pre-term baby.

No advice just wishing u the best, and hope little guy stays baking a bit longer.

can't stop labor hun x I asked this exact question during my first labor. It could be just BH, rest up, drink water, take a bath. If this doesn't help, you might be in true labor.

Also I just had my son last month @35+1 (my water broke) -- we stayed in NICU for 5 days, with jaundice. His apgar score was better than my daughter's (full term), he weighted 6 pounds, he came in screaming bloody murder and latched on within minutes of being born. He's now a regular pain in the butt infant, already caught up with his full term friends :)

Good luck hun xx fingers crossed for you, hope the baby will stay put for a little longer x

Good luck Hun! Our local hospitals won't stop labour from about 34/35 weeks as they are early or 'pre term' as opposed to premature. I also agree with others when they say some babies are ready, gestation is different for each woman and pregnancy. I was born at 33 weeks, 30 years ago and had no major problems just a bit sleepy as was small and trouble regulating body temp. I was suspected iugr though, so in a healthy pregnancy baby should do very well. Keep us posted if you can. Xxxx

You can't really assume baby will be healthy so early. Taking one antedote from a forum does not a healthy baby make.

However, my doctor told me they wouldn't try to stop my labor after 34 weeks. Like the pp said, it's harder/worse to stop natural labor than it is to deal with a late pre-term baby.

I was just trying to give a posotive out look . My neice had a baby full term and the baby had problems so it depends on baby . Like a pp said baby must be a good weight for the hospital to feel no need to stop contractions

I was just trying to give a posotive out look . My neice had a baby full term and the baby had problems so it depends on baby . Like a pp said baby must be a good weight for the hospital to feel no need to stop contractions

I haven't had ultrasound in 3 weeks . My next is Friday so I'm hoping to keep him in until then last one he was 4lbs.

I don't think it's actually him wbeing ready. I have lupus and had my1st early and he had A lot of issues and he wasn't this early . But I had the same thing happen the week before he came

It's not Braxton hicks as I was causing changes in my cervix, they hurt and I have to breath through and they extend all the way around and into my legs .

More then anything I'm just upset and nervous, I've basically put myself on bed rest with my legs up and they've slowed down to every 10-15 minutes , but if I get up and go to the bathroom it's every 6-8 minutes .

not long now and every day counts xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->