Help pls asap

lylasmummy

Reaction score
Ha, that makes it sound urgent.....

Cooking tea, my tesco ready made colcannon is 3 days out of date, will it be ok? Smells ok but im dead paranoid

3 days is quite a long time out of date for fresh stuff, but I'm not really sure what colcannon is. Some things are more ok than others to eat out of date.

I say if it smells ok it'll be fine :thumbup:

Is it use by, or best before? Because if it's best before then it only means it's best consumed before that date but will be fine afterwards (until it goes off obviously :haha:)

There was loads on the tele about use by dates and best before and about how they cut them far too short and we're wasting food because of it. They said the sniff test is the best way to determine if it's edible :haha:

There was loads on the tele about use by dates and best before and about how they cut them far too short and we're wasting food because of it. They said the sniff test is the best way to determine if it's edible :haha:

exactly. i have a tub of grapes in my fridge that technically went out of date a week ago and are still as fresh-looking/smelling as ever!

When I'm not pregnant I'm not fussy with out of date stuff, only meat and eggs I won't eat, my dad has been manager of supermarkets for years when I was growing up n always said they are over cautious, i don't give LO out of date, X

Stuff containing fresh milk and cream I am very cautious about; yoghurt I check it as with yoghurt it is unlikely to go off or mouldy but just go so sour it isn't nice to eat; but fruit and veggies etc I have used long past the date, UHT milk, tinned food etc is also usually fine but I never use those more than 3 months out of date just in case. Spices and sauces (those that don't require refrigerating) I have kept until a couple of years out of date; with them its more a risk that the flavour will completely dissapate from them as opposed to being a real risk with going off. Same with dried lentils and beans; all that will happen with them is the skins will go a bit wrinkled or they will take increasingly long to soak and cook; but they don't actually go off and can last for many years. I have also used wholemeal bread flour; which I stored in an airtight container immediately after opening; a year and a half out of date, the bread it made was fine and actually quite tasty, you can tell when flour is past its best as it goes clumpy and smells stale. A lot of the best before dates are based on most people maybe not storing food in the most optimum way possible, if stored properly many foods can stay in tip top condition for much longer. xx

Yeah, I always tell myself that the supermarkets have to be over cautious but as it was creamy mash potato I thought better of it. Wish I had risked it tho as pretty hungry now :dohh:

Yeah it would of been perfectly fine 3 days over won't make a difference to that. I would of prob ate it up to 5-7days over x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->