help plz ladies how much is your water bill

karenh24

3rd tri
Reaction score
Hey everyone so had a look at my water bill today and the bill for 10 months is £545 does that sound right to you?only me and my husband living here put the washing machine on once a week and dnt take long showers or anything like that.we moved here september and it was £40 a month from september to feb, never lived in our own house before this so not sure what it should be

Ours is 36 pounds a quarter! If you are not on a meter get one sorted quick!

Gosh no that's extortionate!!!

I pay £15 a month (£180 a year) direct debit - water meter.

Hi I used to work for a certain utility company in the NW.

First things first, are you on a Meter or are you on a Ratebale Value?

There are two types of water bills, Meter Bills charge based on how much you use. RV is a set charge for the year.

If you are on a ratable value, it wont matter how much water you use, your bill will never go down.

Best thing to do is phone your supplier and ask them, and if you are on a RV, ask for a quote for a meter.
If you are with severn trent I think there is a little calculator on the website so you can work it out.

The uk average is around £404 for water per year at the minute, but that means nothing really as it depends on the area.

That is an awful lot of money!! Are you paying rates?
We have a meter and pay around £100 every 6 months.

we don't have a meter its based on rateable value. asked my mother in law who lives in the next street also with the same company and she pays something like £190 every 6 months.i don't understand why ours is so high.will definately be getting onto them as im not working at the moment due to pregnancy being high risk and my husband doesn't earn very much we'r finding it hard at the moment

it is alot, i jsut had a good look at the bill theres £80 from the last bill which i don't understand why bcos its direct debit so need to check if that went out the account and then the actual bill is £461 and they've tried to cram it into 8 payments i think wen the bill is from april to next march

we don't have a meter its based on rateable value. asked my mother in law who lives in the next street also with the same company and she pays something like £190 every 6 months.i don't understand why ours is so high.will definately be getting onto them as im not working at the moment due to pregnancy being high risk and my husband doesn't earn very much we'r finding it hard at the moment

If its RV its a set charge based on your property which was set between 1970-90 so they can be massively out of date. Its possible your prop was very valuable when it was originally rated. It goes off the RENTABLE value of the prop and takes into consideration size, condition, area and amenities when rated.

As the RV rating system is no longer used to calculate council tax (poll tax) they are unable to change your rating or amend your bill in any way - other than offer to switch to a water meter.

Phone them up ASAP and get a meter fitted, most companies offer it free of charge with a 13 month trial scheme. But you will be stuck with a high bill until they get round to fitting the meter and wont offer to backdate.
Also have a look at setting your Direct Debit to 12 monthly as this will reduce your bills as well!

If its RV its a set charge based on your property which was set between 1970-90 so they can be massively out of date. Its possible your prop was very valuable when it was originally rated. It goes off the RENTABLE value of the prop and takes into consideration size, condition, area and amenities when rated.

As the RV rating system is no longer used to calculate council tax (poll tax) they are unable to change your rating or amend your bill in any way - other than offer to switch to a water meter.

Phone them up ASAP and get a meter fitted, most companies offer it free of charge with a 13 month trial scheme. But you will be stuck with a high bill until they get round to fitting the meter and wont offer to backdate.
Also have a look at setting your Direct Debit to 12 monthly as this will reduce your bills as well!

Thanx will look into a water meter and defiantely will get them to change to 12 payments instead of the 8 they've given us

Thanx will look into a water meter and defiantely will get them to change to 12 payments instead of the 8 they've given us

If this is your first house and bills are a bit tight, pop on over to the MoneySavingExpert forums, theyve got TONS of threads about how to reduce your bills! I knocked like 200 off my monthlies on there!

If this is your first house and bills are a bit tight, pop on over to the MoneySavingExpert forums, theyve got TONS of threads about how to reduce your bills! I knocked like 200 off my monthlies on there!

im on it right now lol thank u

We pay about 60 every other month... 380 yearly about...

Money Saving Expert website is great, I refer to it often for tips and advice.

Hmm mines terrible then!! I pay £63 per month, 10 months a year!! It's always been around that though for the 5 years I have lived here.

Ours is 160 every six months not on a meter with severn trent

i looked at the bill again and its got fees for used water and surface water drainage do you all pay that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->