Help... Selling our flat

Pink1981

Reaction score
We have been on the market a year and a half now and I'm starting to go a bit crazy, would you mind having a look at our rightmove link and seeing if there's anything we could do to help us sell :shrug: :blush: :flower:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43584365.html

It looks really nice.

Could you possibly add a photo of the living room without the rug down? It's quite bold so it stands out, but it presumably won't be staying. If the carpet under it is nice, it might be worth showing that off a bit.

I would swap the kitchen photo for one that doesn't include the washing machine bit - I'm sure it looks fine IRL but in the photo it looks a bit clumsy, perhaps like the kitchen is too small for your needs. I'd be better not to have the boiler in the photo as well.

For photos and viewings I'd take down the tent things on the kids' beds.

It would be nice if you could get a better photo of the front - zoomed in a bit closer to show just your house. Maybe put some flowers on the balcony, even a little table and chairs if you could borrow one/buy one cheap.

Any chance of photos of the bathroom and downstairs loo? Even if you could make it a photo of the hallway with the door open into the bathroom it'd give people an idea.

Is there a dining area or could you make one - borrow a 2-person table and chairs and make a little room in the living room perhaps?

I'd get your agent to add a floor plan too - when we were looking I felt like I needed one to see if the house would work for us.

It looks lovely, but the thing that would put me off is the washing machine. It looks really out of place.

Also no pictures of the bathroom, this is a must.

It looks really nice.

Could you possibly add a photo of the living room without the rug down? It's quite bold so it stands out, but it presumably won't be staying. If the carpet under it is nice, it might be worth showing that off a bit.

I would swap the kitchen photo for one that doesn't include the washing machine bit - I'm sure it looks fine IRL but in the photo it looks a bit clumsy, perhaps like the kitchen is too small for your needs. I'd be better not to have the boiler in the photo as well.

For photos and viewings I'd take down the tent things on the kids' beds.

It would be nice if you could get a better photo of the front - zoomed in a bit closer to show just your house. Maybe put some flowers on the balcony, even a little table and chairs if you could borrow one/buy one cheap.

Any chance of photos of the bathroom and downstairs loo? Even if you could make it a photo of the hallway with the door open into the bathroom it'd give people an idea.

Is there a dining area or could you make one - borrow a 2-person table and chairs and make a little room in the living room perhaps?

I'd get your agent to add a floor plan too - when we were looking I felt like I needed one to see if the house would work for us.

Thank you, there are some really good ideas.. I've got to the point where I want to move so badly (want a garden for the kids and don't drive so bike the kids 2 and a half miles to their school/nursery) that I can't see any good in it or any way to improve it without spending a lot of money.

Thanks so much xx

And this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 10
It looks lovely, but the thing that would put me off is the washing machine. It looks really out of place.

Also no pictures of the bathroom, this is a must.

Thanks, will get that changed, and add a pic of the bathroom, I thought there was one tbh

Quick pic of the bathroom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20
I agree totally with pp and thought similar before reading her post.

I personally think the living room looks a little dark, that patio door, can you bring in more light? Maybe bring the netting down?
I don't know if it is my personal taste but I don't like the mantle piece, not it in itself but the wood? Maybe some white gloss might make it look a little nicer and make the room look brighter

Good luck x

Oh also, have you gone down your estate agents? What are they doing to sell your property? Where else is it advertised?
Have you thought about switching to another estate agents?

The picture of your Los room you posted are more appropriate I think for people with families to see a room in better use so to speak
Pi agree with the mantle piece some white gloss would modernise it a little plus a floor plan woukd fe good

Pls I love your little girls slide on her bedM I want one haha

I don't know really apart from there have been some great ideas already. I really feel for you, my house has been on the market nearly a year and I'm going round the bend with it :(

The pictures of the kids rooms you posted are better, they show off the space more. I would get the estate agent to take a pic of the bathroo rather than use the one you have (they are used to angling to make roos look more spacious) and agree with dressing up the balcony (sell it as an extra room almost- a place to sit and read, eat a meal etc). Good luck!

Do the estate agents round there do like featured properties? Where they'll advertise it in a variety of different places like a bigger write up in local newspapers etc? That might help if you haven't already. It looks like a nice place though, fingers crossed it sells soon.

I think it just needs de cluttering a bit. Take the net curtains now, take the rug up in the living room. Take the family photos down for the pictures, move the ladders in the bedroom and the stuff at the side of the drawers. Move the orange bag and stuff that's in the kitchen. Hope you sell soon

Is it lack of viewings or just lack of offers?

I have no idea about house value in your area, a quick look on Zoopla will give you an idea of what similar properties in your area have recently sold for. Then you'll know if the price is realistic. You're within the zero stamp duty threshold so that's not the issue. Is your estate agent working for you? Are they letting things get stagnant or are they pushing your property? Consider a new agent (be wary of marketing with two agents unless you're willing to take a low offer, people will see it as desperation and make lower bids).

In terms of visuals -do you have a dining table/kitchen table? If so get a photo of it online, if not can you get a cheap small table to dress the flat up with? I'd also look at a better photo of the kitchen and even rejigging the kitchen if you can. At the moment it looks unfinished because you've got the thin bit of worktop with nothing below - I can see why it's that way but it looks a little redundant (maybe put some bar stools here?) and the washer looks wedged in as though it doesn't fit anywhere properly. The tiles in the kitchen are quite dark, which may not to be everyone's taste but also probably make the kitchen feel smaller. Tile paint is the easy inexpensive solution there. Also the boiler looks old? I might be wrong, just doesn't look a modern style. This can put people off but installing a new one is probably too much expense and I'd consider boxing it in so it's out of view - buyers will still ask about the boiler but I think psychologically if it is old they'll think less on it if it's not on display.

I'd remove some of the voiles from the windows to make it look lighter (still keep them partially dressed though), remove the rug to make it a more spacious looking floor area, and if you've got budget paint the fire surround white to feel more contemporary. You could paint the kitchen units too if you're feeling brave. I'd make sure the balcony is dressed nicely - chairs, a bistro table if possible and plants (in bloom and healthy looking). The view from the balcony is a big selling point so make buyers believe you sit out there enjoying it all the time. I can't see your bathroom but anything like discoloured grout can put people off as it makes them feel it's not immaculately clean (even though grout discolours in the cleanest bathrooms). So see if anything needs a freshen in the bathroom. Hide away kids bath toys (and kids toys in living room etc).

Bedrooms - if you don't mind doing it, I'd paint the furniture in your room. A lot of people find orange pine a bit outdated and it's quite stand outish in the room. In the kids rooms I'd take down the tent bits for viewings so the room doesn't feel too full. And consider painting a neutral colour over the yellow.

The kitchen is often the dealbreaker in house sales though, so if you can only do one thing get the kitchen looking fab.

Sorry I've said a lot - I do actually think your home looks lovely. I'm just nit picking the details to help you make your lovely family home into a show house.

Any chance you can paint the balcony railings? And generally just make use of the balcony, pretty it up a bit.
The pine furniture, fire surround and mirror generally look a little dated so I agree with painting those in white.
Could you place some colourful accessories in the kitchen and definitely everything the other ladies have said.
Xx

It's a lovely home and a good price. I think one of the things that may put people off which obviously you can't change is the lack of garden. But that is probably reflected in the price so it's swings and roundabouts.
I read the description and was surprised how big the bedrooms are, I don't think the photos show this off at all and some of it may be due to your furniture but I'm not sure the photos are the best.
I also agree the balcony could be shown off a bit more but I suspect you just need to wait for the right buyer. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->