HELP: Sore throat and terrible cold

Coco Tutu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some advice on how to handle this.
Yesterday morning I was doing great. Not breathing particularly well, because I have probably pregnancy rhinitis, but breathing a decent amount of air.

In the evening my throat started to hurt and my nose got blocked completely. It happened in minutes. I could hardly sleep at night because my throat was so sore I couldn't swallow and of course when I fell asleep, I breathed with my mouth open, because my nose was stuffed, so I woke up after a while with an even more sore throat.

Today I drank loads of rooibos tea with honey and honey with lemon water and the throat seems to be better but my nose is totally stuffed and when I blow it thick yucky yellow mucus comes out, with some blood as well, I am guessing due to broken capillaries. I know that this is not the regular transparent rhinitis mucus so I have accepted that I have a cold.

I e-mailed my midwife, because I didn't want to bother her with a call, asking her what I could take for relief, but she hasn't replied yet. And when I went to the drugstore and told them I have a sore throat and I am pregnant they refused to give me anything, without instructions from my midwife (which I do respect).

So, here are my questions:
1.Is the baby suffering since I am or is he/she blissfully unaware of my misery? Google says the baby is not affected, but I am looking for some reassurance.
2.Do I call my midwife or I shouldn't bother her for something so common?
3.How on Earth am I going to get some sleep and rest tonight? I am dreading bed time.

Thank you for any responses!

I don't think the baby is suffering at all or knows anything amiss. I had an upper respiratory infection in week 12. I had a fever so went to the doctor. My doctor had given me a list of approved medications for pregnancy - you should see if your midwife has something like that. I was able to take cough medicine and use throat lozenges (though i didn't because i don't like them). I try to take as little as possible but there are plenty of meds both my GP and OB say are safe.

Hi, I too have a stinking cold. Mine is more coughing bunged up etc.
The only thing I can say is baby shouldn't be suffering.
If you are very concerned then possibly get in touch with your mw. Have you tried to prop yourself up at night with a few more pillows. Also, have you any menthol/Vic you could put on a tissue to help with being so blocked up. Are you concerned your throat may be infected? If so, a trip to see your GP may be an idea. Lots of fluids and hopefully it will pass quickly!! Xx

Thank you ladies. I don't think that my throat is infected, as it is not swollen and when I drink warm beverages the pain subsides. I think it hurts more because it dries out, since I breathe with my mouth. I have a vicks nasal spray that says clearly not to use during pregnancy (EDIT---> That was wrong! The medicine instructions and many pharmacist websites say that it can be used with during pregnancy) and I tried to put a bit of tiger balm white under my nose, but since my nostrils are so irritated, it stung really badly and I had to wash it off. I think if I don't manage to sleep better tonight, I will call my midwife tomorrow, weekend or not.

Hope you feel better soon :flower: I find an extra pillow or 2 to raise my head help me sleep when I am bunged up.

Call your midwife today - that's what she is there for. You don't have to suffer b/c you don't want to bother her. Since I got pregnant my nose has been stuffy which my doc said is normal. Add a cold to that and I am sure you are having trouble breathing - poor thing.

For a sore throat, this will sound odd, but take some water and put in some Cayenne pepper. Yes Cayenne is hot pepper but it's also a numbing agent. Gargle with this as often as you want and take a small sip to drink every 10 minutes. Within an hour or two your sore throat will be completely gone and it's won't harm the baby.

Call your midwife today - that's what she is there for. You don't have to suffer b/c you don't want to bother her. Since I got pregnant my nose has been stuffy which my doc said is normal. Add a cold to that and I am sure you are having trouble breathing - poor thing.

For a sore throat, this will sound odd, but take some water and put in some Cayenne pepper. Yes Cayenne is hot pepper but it's also a numbing agent. Gargle with this as often as you want and take a small sip to drink every 10 minutes. Within an hour or two your sore throat will be completely gone and it's won't harm the baby.

Great tip! I will try that out. I do have cayenne pepper at home so I can try that now.
You are right about the midwife ;) It's just that I am a FTM and not sure what is important and what not.

I am a first-timer too (after two losses). Anytime I see my doc and say I had a nervous day he asks why I didn't call and keeps reminding me that is why he is there. He said even if it's just to talk for reassurance to please, please call. Especially since we are FTM they know we will have questions.

I am a first-timer too (after two losses). Anytime I see my doc and say I had a nervous day he asks why I didn't call and keeps reminding me that is why he is there. He said even if it's just to talk for reassurance to please, please call. Especially since we are FTM they know we will have questions.

I am sorry for your losses and congrats on this pregnancy :flower:
My midwife is actually really nice as well, so I shouldn't be shy about calling her! You are right :)

I have more or less the same problem except that I have a post-nasal drip and no stuffy nose. I gargeled on salt water and use saline spray for my nose. It helps a lot! I drank a lot of water and rooibos today and it seems to help.

I used a pregnancy-friendly nasal spray and managed to get a 1 hour nap, which was soooo helpful! I am now sipping hot water with honey and cayenne pepper and it does seem to help. Drinking lots of water helps thin the mucus as well.
DH is coming back from work now so he has to spoil me BIG TIME :D

Hi everyone! My midwife called and said it sounds like a virus. I posting her instructions in case any of you find them helpful. Obviously, you will need to check with your healthcare professional as well.

-Paracetamol every 6 hours
-Plenty of fluids
-Vicks sinex Aloe is safe for up to 5 days, if used 2, max 3 times a day
-Plenty of rest

I had panadol at home, which contain paracetamol but also caffeine but decided to skip them, and DH is going to get me some plain paracetamol now.

To the rest of you who are sick, get well soon!

Aw sorry to hear you're sick! Try gargling with salt water to keep infection away from your throat. I get lots of sore throats, they're horrid.

Rest up, drink lots of fluids and make sure your hubby spoils you! Feel better hun :hugs:

Aw sorry to hear you're sick! Try gargling with salt water to keep infection away from your throat. I get lots of sore throats, they're horrid.

Rest up, drink lots of fluids and make sure your hubby spoils you! Feel better hun :hugs:

Thanks Red! Sometimes I wonder how I am going to do the whole natural birth that I am dreaming of if I feel so terrible with a little virus :D

I am sore you get sore throats too :/

Ha I know what you mean, I'm the worst patient when I have a cold or a headache! Hope I can do this childbirth thing ;)
Hope you're feeling better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->