Help us choose an international name! Poll

Coco Tutu

Reaction score
OK, so here is the story. We are both Greek but we live in the Netherlands and will probably be here for another 5 years. Therefore we want a name that is easy for the Dutch and the Greek to pronounce, and still reflects our cultural background (be it ancient mythology or our favorite movie character, so don't take this one too literally)

We had picked Matilda, as it is really international, we used it for a month, got bored of it and now it kind of died.

There is also a stupid spelling issue: As our daughter will have a Greek passport, but first we will have to register her with the Dutch authorities, we need to find a name that contains letters that exist both in Greek and Dutch (phonetic translation). To give you an example, if we wanted to name her Joe, it would be written Tzo, as there is no J in Greek. Similarly, B become mp, D becomes nt. Crazy, right?

Anyway, would you please vote and give some more ideas? We like names that are somewhat original (but that is so different from country to country)

yes! We 've got 3 voters already! Thanks ladies and gents, that is a good start! Keep them coming please.

I voted Maya! But I love Simone too :)

It's soo hard to find a name that is original in different countries! And you definitely have an added challenge!

I voted Maya! But I love Simone too :)

It's soo hard to find a name that is original in different countries! And you definitely have an added challenge!

Thanks for helping out Red :) It is definitely hard. We have many more names in our list, but those ones would be the easiest for both cultures.

I like Simone best, and most unique but not out there :)

Thank's Mariposa for your input.

By the way, if anyone hates any names on the list, just let us know :)
Her surname starts with an O, if it is of any help.

I voted Elsa but Maya is nice too

going against popular opinion but I dislike Simone

Melissa is meh nothing wrong with it but its just average sounding to me

Vera is ok but not my taste

I voted Elsa but Maya is nice too

going against popular opinion but I dislike Simone

Melissa is meh nothing wrong with it but its just average sounding to me

Vera is ok but not my taste

Thank you for your detailed response! :)

Love Elsa! Maya is lovely too.

Not a fan of the others personally

I really like Vera. It is simple but not common and could take her all over the world, in case she turns out to be a jet-setter like you! I like the nick name Vee too.

What an interesting set of circumstances to take into account!

Alternatively, would Katerina work in both languages?

I voted for Maya, and its the only name on there that I love.
Simone is nice too, just not my personal taste.
Melissa was a very popular 1980s name in some English speaking countries so there may be a lot of 'association' with it. As a baby name though, its very uncommon so that's a plus :thumbup:
Elsa is cute as well, again just not my taste.
Vera always reminds me of the tv show Dexter - but that's just me, I'm sure most people wouldn't make that connection. Its a pretty uncommon name too which is nice.
Other ideas: Sofia, Zana, Sarah, Vanessa?

Love Elsa! Maya is lovely too.

Not a fan of the others personally

Thanks pippi! I love Elsa as well, my only slight hesitation is that my grandma had a lovely dog called Elsa, but this dog passed away in 1995, so the name is free now, I guess :)

I really like Vera. It is simple but not common and could take her all over the world, in case she turns out to be a jet-setter like you! I like the nick name Vee too.

What an interesting set of circumstances to take into account!

Alternatively, would Katerina work in both languages?

hahaha a jet-setter! More like an accidental immigrant. But I will start describing myself as a jet setter from now on. Great idea Elizabean!:thumbup:

I love Vera, but most people seem to find it very serious/strict/old lady's name (which I don't care about at all, to be honest. I hope she will be healthy and grow really really old).

Katerina works perfectly in terms of phonetics and spelling, but it is quite common in Greece and we know many Katerina's. We are not fond of it, but great suggestion, regarding our criteria. Thanks!

I voted for Maya, and its the only name on there that I love.
Simone is nice too, just not my personal taste.
Melissa was a very popular 1980s name in some English speaking countries so there may be a lot of 'association' with it. As a baby name though, its very uncommon so that's a plus :thumbup:
Elsa is cute as well, again just not my taste.
Vera always reminds me of the tv show Dexter - but that's just me, I'm sure most people wouldn't make that connection. Its a pretty uncommon name too which is nice.
Other ideas: Sofia, Zana, Sarah, Vanessa?

Thanks daneuse! It is so strange for us that Melissa is/was popular abroad because it is Greek for "bee". But we seem to have a bee theme going on anyway, with Maya and all...

I haven't seen Dexter, but I will look the Vera character up ;)

Thank you for the suggestions as well! Sarah was in my list as well but DH didn't like it that much. Too serious or something like that, he said. Oh well...

Maya is such a pretty name!

Thank you Sophie!

I think I will just have to convince everyone who mentions Maya the Bee that no one will remember the cartoon once our daughter is born and use the name at least as a middle name. I really want something connected to nature/mysticism/creativity and Maya does have those qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->