Help us get some sleep!!

ChocolateC

Reaction score
Hi,
I need sleep help! Give me your advice or your technique that worked!
My 1-year-old boy wakes up every single night around 4 a.m. wide awake. Last night, I tried to put him down for TWO HOURS, then he finally slept in my bed from 6-8 a.m. I am at my wit's end.
Background: I am still breastfeeding and he nurses to sleep. I put him down drowsy but not asleep, he self-settles quickly, and falls asleep like an angel. But then he wakes up. Usually it's early morning so sometimes if I can't put him back down, we are UP in the early dawn hours...and then everyone's exhausted.
He is a skinny boy and always has been. I believe he's waking out of hunger. DH tried to pick him up and soothe him several times, and it often didn't work--DS just cried and refused to settle, or settled for 5 minutes then cried again, over and over. I've started an evening snack routine (oatmeal porridge with cream) but he still wakes at night and feeds like crazy. I try to feed him lots at dinner but he's never been a big eater and just won't eat a ton.
I don't rush in at the first whimper, but he always starts crying hard and standing in the crib staring out at the dark room, poor thing.
We can't do a straight-up cry-it-out because DD sleeps next door and it wakes her and upsets her. I'm almost at that stage though! Ready for any and all advice. :coffee:
Thank you, thank you!!

When I had my baby boy he would wake up every 2 hours to feed I totally understand. Try giving him a nice long bath and night a lot of the time it's the water makes them tired and feed him a nice heavy bottle that might help. Xoxo :hugs:

Hi,
I need sleep help! Give me your advice or your technique that worked!
My 1-year-old boy wakes up every single night around 4 a.m. wide awake. Last night, I tried to put him down for TWO HOURS, then he finally slept in my bed from 6-8 a.m. I am at my wit's end.
Background: I am still breastfeeding and he nurses to sleep. I put him down drowsy but not asleep, he self-settles quickly, and falls asleep like an angel. But then he wakes up. Usually it's early morning so sometimes if I can't put him back down, we are UP in the early dawn hours...and then everyone's exhausted.
He is a skinny boy and always has been. I believe he's waking out of hunger. DH tried to pick him up and soothe him several times, and it often didn't work--DS just cried and refused to settle, or settled for 5 minutes then cried again, over and over. I've started an evening snack routine (oatmeal porridge with cream) but he still wakes at night and feeds like crazy. I try to feed him lots at dinner but he's never been a big eater and just won't eat a ton.
I don't rush in at the first whimper, but he always starts crying hard and standing in the crib staring out at the dark room, poor thing.
We can't do a straight-up cry-it-out because DD sleeps next door and it wakes her and upsets her. I'm almost at that stage though! Ready for any and all advice. :coffee:
Thank you, thank you!!

When my daughter went through these phases, we co-slept. If you can feed lying down, all the better as you can give him a feed and all go back to sleep. Eventually it passed, but very normal for it to be worse in the summer as the sun comes up so early and their bodies are just programmed to get up earlier.

When my daughter went through these phases, we co-slept. If you can feed lying down, all the better as you can give him a feed and all go back to sleep. Eventually it passed, but very normal for it to be worse in the summer as the sun comes up so early and their bodies are just programmed to get up earlier.

We bought blackout blinds but it doesn't seem to help. Oh, I'm hoping it will pass! I just don't know what to do at 4 or 5 a.m. :(

What time does he have a feed before bed? We started a dream feed at around 11pm when both kids started waking at 4/5am and it seen them through till morning. Eventually they stopped needing it when they were fully established on solids and no longer needing breastmilk (son) formula (dd). Maybe worth a try? x

Shove a towel under your daughters door so she can't hear the crying.... run off the baby monitor so you can't hear the crying.... and earplugs :) took my kids 2-3 nights and they stopped the night waking.

Could have written your post except my lo is 16 months ... Wakes at 11 , 2 , 4 and then 6 for the day ... Like a new born !!!! Lol..... I've just given up on sleep . I have a des next door instead of a dd ...

Thanks! It's gotten a bit better the last few days. Probably because LO started sleeping through the night after a week of "training" him, which means hubby went to cuddle/comfort him instead of me. LO cried but because hubby was holding him, it felt humane. He definitely cried though. Then...he just stopped! And since then, when he wakes up, we KNOW it's for the day, since he's not waking at night. He's closer to 5:45 or 6 now than 5, and yes that 45 minutes DOES make a difference!! (yes I'd love it if he slept til 7 but it doesn't seem to be his nature.)

I tried letting oh go in but I guess I just couldn't listen to the crying !!!!! I gave in too early ,,.. I'll try again soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->