Help...Willow or Raven?

mizzyb

Reaction score
Help...Willow or Raven?

We are quite arty bohemian loving people and adore both these names I just cant choose! I love Raven, in all my art work I have always had a raven in it somewhere even if it is tiny in the background of a window for example and I adore birds so I have a strong love for Raven, but I worry what people will think, is it too way out? dont want it to sound too hippyish. Also Love Willow I think its so beautiful but I worry about nickname for her would she get called Willy? :-/ just dont know keep going round in circles! Opinions please many thanks x

Obviously I love the name willow, my willow does get called will or willy, or wee willy Winkie a lot, but Lola is an alternative? It's also ineasing in popularity in the uk, it's now in the top 30 of 2013 if that bothers you at all.

I really like raven though, I think it's more bohemian and less mainstream than willow, I don't think it's too way out at all.
X

Obviously I love the name willow, my willow does get called will or willy, or wee willy Winkie a lot, but Lola is an alternative? It's also ineasing in popularity in the uk, it's now in the top 30 of 2013 if that bothers you at all.

I really like raven though, I think it's more bohemian and less mainstream than willow, I don't think it's too way out at all.
X

Ah well done on your fantastic name choice ;) hmm how old is your Willow and does the nicknames bother her? I am put off if its getting common, I like to be a bit different but not over the top different, for example my son is called Logan which is a bit different. (even that names getting more popular i think though now? my son is 12 though and called that before it getting known so much) Sooo funny you said about Lola thats exactly what we thought for nickname, and Rose as middle name!! However someone I know due a week before me is calling her daughter Lola Rose! ARgh! could not believe it!!! Hmmm I love Raven, its a strong name though and dont imagine it to be everyones cuppa tea! Thanks soo much for your opinion :) x

I like Raven as Willow is a bit common now, if you pair it with a more normal middle name im sure it will be fine

examples:

Raven Louise
Raven Georgina
Raven Ann
Raven Cora

maybe avoid nature based names if you dont want to seem too hippy-ish

examples:

Raven Skye
Raven Rose
Raven Rayne
Raven Snow

although Raven Brook works really well and is a double nature name :flower:

surely the nickname of Willow is Billie though

if Raven wants a more normal nickname you could use Ava maybe although thats a bit common

Thanks, I did think Billie might be but then i just think she might get called willy. DO you really think its common? ive never come across another Willow, obviously the singer 'pink' called her daugher Willow and there is will smiths daughter but apart from that I hadnt come across another...

I think it depends on where you are whether names are common or not but I know quite a few Willows of various ages (2-36!)

Raven is a beautiful name! I love it. I liked Ravena for a while too but OH was not on board :( I think it would be lovely as you say you have always had a connection with it through your artwork. Ebony and Ember were other names I really liked. Don't know if they would appeal to you?

Thanks, I did think Billie might be but then i just think she might get called willy. DO you really think its common? ive never come across another Willow, obviously the singer 'pink' called her daugher Willow and there is will smiths daughter but apart from that I hadnt come across another...

my friend named her daughter willow and I though it was lovely and unique... its a year and a half later and now there are little willows popping up everywhere, its the go to name for everyone that wants a 'unique' name and for that reason its no longer unique :nope:

I like Raven as Willow is a bit common now, if you pair it with a more normal middle name im sure it will be fine

examples:

Raven Louise
Raven Georgina
Raven Ann
Raven Cora

maybe avoid nature based names if you dont want to seem too hippy-ish

examples:

Raven Skye
Raven Rose
Raven Rayne
Raven Snow

although Raven Brook works really well and is a double nature name :flower:

surely the nickname of Willow is Billie though

if Raven wants a more normal nickname you could use Ava maybe although thats a bit common

I had already throught the name brook too but brooke with an e onthe end :)

Im sooo suprised Willow is so common now, I had no idea at all :-/

I think it depends on where you are whether names are common or not but I know quite a few Willows of various ages (2-36!)

Raven is a beautiful name! I love it. I liked Ravena for a while too but OH was not on board :( I think it would be lovely as you say you have always had a connection with it through your artwork. Ebony and Ember were other names I really liked. Don't know if they would appeal to you?

Thanks! I just worry what family might think of the name but then we have to go for what we love and I should not really worry what others think but unfortunately I always worry what people think of things in life generally. I brought up the name Ember to OH I do really like it but I think ive heard that name mentioned a fair bit on forums and OH not as keen. :) x

Really? I've never heard Ember, I just found it in a book! I've heard Amber and Amberley and other varients but I'd not heard Ember!

I know what you mean about listening to other people too much, I'm the same! I shouldn't care but I really do :shrug:
Mind you, children's names are becoming more and more unique these days. By the time she is in school all her friends will probably be Apples and Londons and Pixies! There are a lot of flower/nature names that are not too 'far out'.

Really? I've never heard Ember, I just found it in a book! I've heard Amber and Amberley and other varients but I'd not heard Ember!

I know what you mean about listening to other people too much, I'm the same! I shouldn't care but I really do :shrug:
Mind you, children's names are becoming more and more unique these days. By the time she is in school all her friends will probably be Apples and Londons and Pixies! There are a lot of flower/nature names that are not too 'far out'.

YEs have heard ember a lot but this is on various forums as I have googled bohemian girls names and spent hour upon hour reading forum pages and other pages and Ember came up several times. Saying that I have never known an Ember and I do think its unique to me and a gorgeous name. I really am swaying to the name I love that is Raven, although she has always mainly been a willow in our minds we were so set on it at one point and now OH dad calls her Willow :-/ I worry in a couple days time Il sway back to Willow then I will just keep going round in circles. So refreshing to hear everyone say what a lovely name RAven is, it means a lot x

I think raven is a really beautiful name :)

as a pre-school teacher I teach a Willow, and I know of 2 born in the last year.. so its becoming quite common i think x

I really love Willow not keen on Raven though it is a little too out there but thats just my tastes x

Willow has my vote!

Popularity is going to depend on where you are located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->